Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68-72 Chevy PickUp rummors about reissue?

Sergey

37 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I'd assume the same kit, but without the racers wedge parts and Coke items added.

Cool. I guess i will buy whichever is cheaper. i dont care about the coke stuff or the wedge stuff. 

I guess if they were the same, i would get the wedge for the tools to throw in the truck

On 3/2/2021 at 3:14 PM, youpey said:

Cool. I guess i will buy whichever is cheaper. i dont care about the coke stuff or the wedge stuff. 

I guess if they were the same, i would get the wedge for the tools to throw in the truck

They are about the same price. If you buy the wedge, you can always trade off the wedge body for something you need. Same way with the Coke version, trade off the Coke machine if you don't want/need it.

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2021 at 10:39 PM, Rob Hall said:

Got my Coke version today…and it’s molded in red.  Guess I missed that detail in the description.  

Yeah, I saw that in a video on FB. Kinda bummed but will deal with it, I wonder why they felt the need to mold it in red? Are all of the Coke kits molded in red?

Any re-issue of '68-'72 Chevy pickups should use the MPC molds, not the AMT molds ('71 and '72, only MPC made them, the '71 and '72 AMT ones were GMC). Otherwise, it's a bad idea because the AMT ones were totally inaccurate and did not look like the real trucks. I have both in my collection. The problem with the AMT Chevy pickups was the front end, they made the bumper and grille a single piece unit that had a slight slant to it, the real trucks had no slant. MPC made the grille and bumper separate pieces and no slant. 

The AMT box art shows the body color between the grille and bumper, which is authentic, but that's not what was in the kit. In the MPC kit, that section is molded as part of the body so gets painted when you paint the body. 

On 5/3/2021 at 6:24 AM, John1955 said:

Any re-issue of '68-'72 Chevy pickups should use the MPC molds, not the AMT molds ('71 and '72, only MPC made them, the '71 and '72 AMT ones were GMC). Otherwise, it's a bad idea because the AMT ones were totally inaccurate and did not look like the real trucks. I have both in my collection. The problem with the AMT Chevy pickups was the front end, they made the bumper and grille a single piece unit that had a slight slant to it, the real trucks had no slant. MPC made the grille and bumper separate pieces and no slant. 

The AMT box art shows the body color between the grille and bumper, which is authentic, but that's not what was in the kit. In the MPC kit, that section is molded as part of the body so gets painted when you paint the body. 

I'm holding out hope that someone will tool up new molds for the 67-72 series of GM trucks and give us some fresh, more accurate, kits to build. It would be a huge hit and if done right, there's literally over 100 possible configurations across the Chevy and GMC 2wd/4wd spectrum.

On 3/2/2021 at 11:36 AM, Rob Hall said:

Yeah, same optional wheels in the Racer's Wedge...they look really out of place.  Something from the 90s reissue, I presume. I don't remember them in the one I built back then.   They look to me like the optional wheels from the '89 Probe GT kit (seriously!), if memory serves me..

Here they are on the Racer's Wedge chrome tree:

IMG-4968.jpg

I'd rather see the standard hubcaps in the box. But nothing new, big plastic had a history of giving us " full wheel covers "  for the " stock " version.  Glad I purchased an extra set a accurately done hubcaps from Rookie Resin!

20200101_140655.thumb.jpg.1757e034f146f437ba651018f13e13d2.jpg

20191117_155431.thumb.jpg.3d22ddedb6b71eba2c9bb75539edd5b0.jpg

Edited by leafsprings

On 5/8/2021 at 8:15 PM, mikemodeler said:

I'm holding out hope that someone will tool up new molds for the 67-72 series of GM trucks and give us some fresh, more accurate, kits to build. It would be a huge hit and if done right, there's literally over 100 possible configurations across the Chevy and GMC 2wd/4wd spectrum.

Since the '67-'72 Chevy pickup kits from MPC were dead on accurate, it would make no sense at all for anyone to spend huge amounts of money to make new tooling unless those old molds are too worn to be used again. MPC really nailed it, the body was sharp and crisp with details, so was the interior. But the chassis was one piece lacking details though, but at least the MPC version had the more realistic single exhaust while the AMT version had dual exhausts. 

Replacing that one piece chassis is easy enough by using a Revell-Monogram Chevy truck chassis and converting it to 4WD is easy as well. Given the low production numbers today for even "huge hits", it simply wouldn't be profitable for any company to do as you hope for. That's where imagination and skill come in on the part of the modeler, we can do those variations ourselves. 

11 hours ago, John1955 said:

Since the '67-'72 Chevy pickup kits from MPC were dead on accurate

Fully molded in front and rear suspension featuring not one single separate part, a three-piece(!) interior featuring a molded in seat and little to no door panel detail, a bed underside which is molded integrally with both the frame and cab floor pan, and a thick metal axle passing directly though the engine is "dead on accurate"? The dual rear axle option is horrendous, too.

12 hours ago, John1955 said:

Replacing that one piece chassis is easy enough by using a Revell-Monogram Chevy truck chassis and converting it to 4WD is easy as well.

That's like upgrading to a Fiat X/19 from a Yugo. Better?..maybe, but still not good.

The only reason this kit keeps being reissued is there's plenty of demand but other scale competition. Mike's suggestion of an all-new kit has a lot of merit-- an all-new kit is long overdue.

On 5/10/2021 at 2:59 PM, Casey said:

Fully molded in front and rear suspension featuring not one single separate part, a three-piece(!) interior featuring a molded in seat and little to no door panel detail, a bed underside which is molded integrally with both the frame and cab floor pan, and a thick metal axle passing directly though the engine is "dead on accurate"? The dual rear axle option is horrendous, too.

That's like upgrading to a Fiat X/19 from a Yugo. Better?..maybe, but still not good.

The only reason this kit keeps being reissued is there's plenty of demand but other scale competition. Mike's suggestion of an all-new kit has a lot of merit-- an all-new kit is long overdue.

Thanks Casey. I did the math and there is literally 100 or more possible variations of the 67-72 GM truck if you consider 2 & 4 wheel drive pickups, Blazer/Jimmy and Suburbans. Add in long bed/short bed, fleet side/step side and even cab chassis configurations. Us modelers would be gullible enough to buy whatever was put out there to build to our hearts desire. Add in some resin stuff like the dump box from Danny at Scenes Unlimited, the Holmes Wrecker bed from Motor City Resin and other stuff that pops up on eBay and there is no telling what could be built. There's another thread here with Moebius coming out with a ramp bed kit and also a different snow plow than the old MPC or Revell one!

We have accepted the re-issued AMT & MPC kits because we haven't had any other choice. I have bought a bunch of the MPC Deserter kits to use as chassis donors because they are better than nothing but still need work.

On 5/3/2021 at 3:24 AM, John1955 said:

[...] The problem with the AMT Chevy pickups was the front end, they made the bumper and grille a single piece unit that had a slight slant to it, the real trucks had no slant. MPC made the grille and bumper separate pieces and no slant. [1]

The AMT box art shows the body color between the grille and bumper, which is authentic, [2] but that's not what was in the kit. In the MPC kit, that section is molded as part of the body so gets painted when you paint the body. 

Sorry, I have to hammer you for writing so much misinformation.  I owned this '69, and currently a '68, so I can't let your comments go unchallenged.

1. There is a slight slant forward, easy to tell at this angle  ⬇️.  If the MPC is 90 degree vertical, it's incorrect.

2. There is an aluminum part that goes between the bumper, and the grill.  It's a small gap, so it's easy to not see.  The fender wraps around the corner a little, so can understand the misperception.   But since I had to replace the bumper after hooking a fence, I recall that detail with burning clarity.

IMG_9264_Fotor.thumb.jpg.3a492568758b5465b2d1ec5a2ebf209a.jpg

My biggest beef, is the horrid rear end, which I made right.  The tailgate is too narrow for starters.  The shape of the lights was totally wrong.  I don't have an MPC kit, so don't know how accurate this is.  This is why there needs to be a new tooling IMO.
IMG_1936_Fotor.jpg.81ea89b87a9bdb68ad9282d13f939b5e.jpg

My WIP shows other details that I fixed: AMT - 1969 Chevrolet pickup: The Green Barge   One can't rely on restored pickups for accuracy, look at how many don't have the headlight bezels painted black.

6 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Sorry, I have to hammer you for writing so much misinformation.  I owned this '69, and currently a '68, so I can't let your comments go unchallenged.

1. There is a slight slant forward, easy to tell at this angle  ⬇️.  If the MPC is 90 degree vertical, it's incorrect.

2. There is an aluminum part that goes between the bumper, and the grill.  It's a small gap, so it's easy to not see.  The fender wraps around the corner a little, so can understand the misperception.   But since I had to replace the bumper after hooking a fence, I recall that detail with burning clarity.

IMG_9264_Fotor.thumb.jpg.3a492568758b5465b2d1ec5a2ebf209a.jpg

My biggest beef, is the horrid rear end, which I made right.  The tailgate is too narrow for starters.  The shape of the lights was totally wrong.  I don't have an MPC kit, so don't know how accurate this is.  This is why there needs to be a new tooling IMO.
IMG_1936_Fotor.jpg.81ea89b87a9bdb68ad9282d13f939b5e.jpg

My WIP shows other details that I fixed: AMT - 1969 Chevrolet pickup: The Green Barge   One can't rely on restored pickups for accuracy, look at how many don't have the headlight bezels painted black.

Actually, I was correct and you are wrong. I owned a  1:1 '68 Chevy pickup and a '71 one, MPC got it right as I stated, AMT did not. I built several of each, so I do know. And thank you for proving my point about the AMT kits and admitting that you don't have the MPC version, thus you wouldn't know why I said no new tooling was needed. 

Also, for those extra details you want, that is up to the skilled modeler to accomplish. You can not expect a kit maker to cater to every desire. It is EXTREMELY expensive to create new tooling today, and sales will be low production anyway. The same modelers who demand ever greater features and details are the first to complain about higher prices, even though it is THEY who cause the higher prices by wanting the extra goodies that they should be getting from aftermarket suppliers included in the kits. 

The best way to build a better model is to improve your skills, be creative and have imagination. I have been building plastic kits for 60 years and I stand by every word I said. 

1 hour ago, John1955 said:

Actually, I was correct and you are wrong. I owned a  1:1 '68 Chevy pickup and a '71 one, MPC got it right as I stated, AMT did not. I built several of each, so I do know. And thank you for proving my point about the AMT kits and admitting that you don't have the MPC version, thus you wouldn't know why I said no new tooling was needed. 

Also, for those extra details you want, that is up to the skilled modeler to accomplish. You can not expect a kit maker to cater to every desire. It is EXTREMELY expensive to create new tooling today, and sales will be low production anyway. The same modelers who demand ever greater features and details are the first to complain about higher prices, even though it is THEY who cause the higher prices by wanting the extra goodies that they should be getting from aftermarket suppliers included in the kits. 

The best way to build a better model is to improve your skills, be creative and have imagination. I have been building plastic kits for 60 years and I stand by every word I said. 

So Moebius, a relatively small model manufacturer, makes a full lineup of Ford trucks from the 60's and early 70's, and they are quite popular. Yet someone like Revell couldn't come along and do the same thing with the 67-72 GM trucks and not expect enough sales to justify it?

5 hours ago, John1955 said:

[...] And thank you for proving my point about the AMT kits and admitting that you don't have the MPC version, thus you wouldn't know why I said no new tooling was needed. [...]

I agree the AMT kit sucks.  I qualified my comment by stating that I did not have an MPC for reference.  I was hoping Moebius would step up to the plate, with a proper chassis, not a rehash of a curbside.  Would help your case to post pictures, to compare the real thing with the kit.  I'm curious now, how accurate the tail end looks on the MPC kit.  This picture was before I tweaked it.

IMG_1607_Fotor.jpg.93c24243cb43fed90ad28687a16430cb.jpg

37 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

I agree the AMT kit sucks.  I qualified my comment by stating that I did not have an MPC for reference.  I was hoping Moebius would step up to the plate, with a proper chassis, not a rehash of a curbside.  Would help your case to post pictures, to compare the real thing with the kit.  I'm curious now, how accurate the tail end looks on the MPC kit.  This picture was before I tweaked it.

IMG_1607_Fotor.jpg.93c24243cb43fed90ad28687a16430cb.jpg

its the same bumpers and lights will interchange

On 5/10/2021 at 2:45 AM, John1955 said:

Since the '67-'72 Chevy pickup kits from MPC were dead on accurate, it would make no sense at all for anyone to spend huge amounts of money to make new tooling unless those old molds are too worn to be used again. MPC really nailed it, the body was sharp and crisp with details, so was the interior. But the chassis was one piece lacking details though, but at least the MPC version had the more realistic single exhaust while the AMT version had dual exhausts. 

Replacing that one piece chassis is easy enough by using a Revell-Monogram Chevy truck chassis and converting it to 4WD is easy as well. Given the low production numbers today for even "huge hits", it simply wouldn't be profitable for any company to do as you hope for. That's where imagination and skill come in on the part of the modeler, we can do those variations ourselves. 

One flaw in your theory about the 4wd Revell chassis donor John- The AMT kits are 1:25 and the Revell kits are 1:24, makes for some issues, unless you know different? To Casey's argument, the interior and chassis and their lack of detail really make the AMT/MPC kits toy like. Add in the metal axles and I'm reminded of my youth playing with Hot Wheels.

Hot wheels never did a good one until the step side in 90’s, and a short Fleetside in last couple years. Matchbox did step and smooth side (forgot Ford name) in 70’s. 
Hope one comes along from someone. 

I agree with John, don't expect a completely new pickup kit, we need to use our imagination and skills to make up for the short comings. The 1:1 '67-'72  2wd chassis is almost identical to the 1:1 '63-'66 2WD chassis. Revell does the '65 pickup in 1/25 with a separate front and rear suspension, so, Bingo, we can use the '65 chassis. AMT does a 4WD Blazer- Jimmy in 1/25, it also has a separate frame with the same 4WD system used in pickups. It is a matter of kit bashing and frame lengthening for now to get these kits closer to what we want them to be.

Edited by leafsprings

5 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Surprised no one mentioned how the inner fenders on the pickups are all wrong but they got them right on the Blazer/Jimmy. 

Oh man, don't get me going!  I would still be working on this if I corrected the wheel wells too. 😬  The radiator is wrong too, but the missing fan shroud disguised it.  Molded in battery, come on man!
IMG_1597_Fotor.jpg.a8110013c29043dbaa47b8cb6df06878.jpg

Interior has the upscale bucket seats molded on, I made a bench seat.  And a heater.  And pedals.  And and and......  At least there are aftermarket gauge faces, but the 4 little gauges at the bottom are missing.
IMG_1422_Fotor.jpg.a9e310809c5adbc1ade3eb70841d86c8.jpg

A person on the Spotlight board was recently asking about a rumor of a Revell '67-'72 C-10. But, that's probably all it is. I would much rather see Revell do this generation Chevy truck. Moebius has already butchered up the Fords.  

Kurt is right about the piece under the grille. It's not body color. It's actually part of the grille and is rarely visible in 99% of photos. 

s-l300.jpg.29f8e17e6a90b84791eb8ab9fdaf519d.jpg

Edited by Plowboy

Had I known the Coke version of this truck was going to be molded in red, I would have ordered the wedge kit instead as that isn't some horrendous color to cover with primer and paint.

If Revell was to do a version, they are halfway home with the chassis. Some bodies and correct the flaws present in the existing kits and we could have fun. I am guessing they would use a long bed chassis to make a Suburban and if done correctly, many interchangeable pieces to make many variations.

On 5/16/2021 at 8:54 PM, mikemodeler said:

Had I known the Coke version of this truck was going to be molded in red, I would have ordered the wedge kit instead as that isn't some horrendous color to cover with primer and paint.

I thought you knew.

On 5/1/2021 at 10:39 PM, Rob Hall said:

Got my Coke version today…and it’s molded in red.  Guess I missed that detail in the description.  

On 5/3/2021 at 5:57 AM, mikemodeler said:

Yeah, I saw that in a video on FB. Kinda bummed but will deal with it, I wonder why they felt the need to mold it in red? Are all of the Coke kits molded in red?

On 9/5/2019 at 11:17 PM, Lordmodelbuilder said:

Would be nice to actually see the 72 back!  As stated above, think last time out was Model Kings Racers Wedge/Open Road camper in 2008.

I bought a pile of them in 95. I love the 67-72 GM trucks! Also have a bunch of builtups/junkers,parts.

Would be cool to have the earlier versions too. A photo-etch set is needed for these trucks too.

The Wedge /open road camper included no chevy pick up.  But the 1972 Chevy fleetside pick up is back.