Model Cars Magazine Forum
GeeBee

Revell Trabant 601S 30th anniversary of the Berlin Wall

It has been 30 years since the first Trabant 601 sailed through the Wall to West Berlin. Revell honors the memorable event with a special set, which includes a diorama in the form of a 3D puzzle on which the built model of the satellite can be placed.- Kit of the Trabant 601, including instructions and decals

Screenshot_20190905-181755_Chrome.jpg

Thanks. Revell sure has worked those Trabbi molds! They've re-issued it for almost every Berlin Wall anniversary, including the 20th and 25th.  I'm guessing this is the "new" Trabant, with engine detail.  Their original Trabant kit, issued in 1990, was a curbside with no engine. But it did have a big roof rack, which isn't in the newer kit.

Here's the 25th anniversary kit:

trab_25.JPG

Wrong scale, but for the 30th anniversary, AFV Club has released a 1/35 scale kit with 3 sections of the Berlin Wall:

ber_wall.jpg

Edited by Mike999
omit2

I went to Berlin as a kid and remember going to Checkpoint Charlie and the museum there, dedicated to escapes from East Germany.  I remember one small car that had a place in the boot behind the rear seat to hide a person.  They had mirrors set up that made it look deep and empty.

We stood and watched at rush hour as Trabbies made their way back home from West Berlin.  A lot of people from East Germany worked in West Berlin, kinda like the US/Mexican border.  This was probably 1971.

I visited Hungary in 2008 and there were still quite a few Trabants running around there.  Went on a tour of "Statue Park" outside Budapest. The Hungarians took all the huge Soviet statues out of the city after Communism collapsed, and turned them into a tourist attraction.  The park also has a copy of Stalin's giant empty boots, commemorating the tearing down of his statue during the 1956 revolution.  A blue Trabant was sitting outside the souvenir shop, sort of like a "gate guard." Here's a pic of it (not mine, found on the internet).

szoborpark-trabant-01.jpg

Edited by Mike999
goof

I rather like that 3D puzzle display base. I'd be interested in one if I hadn't made my own which incorporated an actural piece of the wall that I chipped out in the summer of 1990 when I was in East Berlin. Made my suitcase a little heavy for the rest of the trip but was a great souvenir of an important time in history.

image.png.fe56cb5fcb72d82897df3b4b8c86f1ad.png

Here's my little hunk of the wall.  My father's friend bashed the wall and made these up.

I was in Germany when the wall came down, unfortunately I was stuck in Wolfsburg while working at VW, around 230Km from Berlin,so I only saw what was going on while watching the tv in the hotel, so never managed to get a bit of the wall.

I was living in Germany 50 years before the wall came down and played a role in making it happen. I was in Neckarsulm in a Pershing Missile Battalion with nuclear missiles aimed in. These missiles were a major reason the Russians pulled back their missiles and opened the Wall. We were not allowed within 50km of the border.  I have to congratulate Revell for putting this out.

image.png.549bc615da33ba14dcad1ae85cba1628.png

image.png.d81d9af5d0d12180fb2947dc047252d5.png

image.thumb.png.a704e7127be3f54b39e05865b1ece431.png

21 hours ago, robertw said:

I rather like that 3D puzzle display base. I'd be interested in one if I hadn't made my own which incorporated an actural piece of the wall that I chipped out in the summer of 1990 when I was in East Berlin. Made my suitcase a little heavy for the rest of the trip but was a great souvenir of an important time in history.

I was also in Berlin during the summer of 1990, on vacation from Saudi Arabia.  One neat souvenir you could buy was a small chunk of the wall, with a 1/43 scale Trabant climbing up it.  My Mom has one on display in her house.

The amazing stuff for sale was all the former military gear. The East German Army and the Potsdam garrison of the Red Army both seemed to have giant clearance sales.  Street vendors were selling everything from complete General's uniforms to medals and everything else (except firearms).  I got a tanker's helmet and some other stuff.

My unit, A/1/6 INF,  went to West Berlin twice for MOUT training in Doughboy City, in Nov 81 and in March 84. We had a reenlistment ceremony at Checkpoint Charlie for one of our guys. It was our CO's idea. He wanted to PO the East German border guards.It did. :D

Didn't see the 1/43 Trabants on the wall souvenirs  but there were still many of the real ones to photograph, which I did.  I remember being surprized how quickly Berlin youth became entrepreneurs by renting out hammers & chisels to those of us wanting a souvenir. My piece came from near Check Point Charlie. I also remember the street vendors selling Communist military memorabilia but I was at an early point in my trip so could only carry a small amount of extra stuff. For the rest of my life I will have deep memories of what I saw in East Germany and the effect it had on my beliefs and values.