Model Cars Magazine Forum
Super28

'65 Barracuda

Anybody know where I can get an early '64-'66 Barracuda kit, even if it's a resin? 

Model Car World does them in resin, too. I've bought from both Motor City and MCW and both produce first-rate products, well worth the price. 

Yes, resin is your friend here.  Note that the photo Casey posted above is a 1966 car.  But take a look at the work Motor City put into this.  That's the AMT 1972 Duster chassis and engine bay which offer a lot more detail than the 1960s one piece chassis that came with the kits back then.   It does look like they simplified the interior if indeed they've cast it as a unit.  The kit has separate seats and dash.  The seats and dash are a bit different for 1965.

If you did want the original chassis, it's pretty much intact under the reissued Thunderball 500 kit.  You would just need to cut down the added overhangs front and rear. There are other original 1966 Barracuda parts in this kit as well.  The optional hemi engine (never available in the stock car) for one.

There are also remains of the original 1966 kit in the Hemi Under Glass.  For instance, if you wanted real plastic windows, the original window unit is there. 

1 hour ago, Scott8950 said:

you could get the 66 hemi under glass and order the standard interior bucket and modify the 71 duster chassis.

Good plan for a "Day Two" custom or cruiser. The HUG body has altered rear wheel openings, and IIRC is missing some of the emblems, so if you want a factory stocker, you're starting off with a handicap. 

25 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Good plan for a "Day Two" custom or cruiser. The HUG body has altered rear wheel openings, and IIRC is missing some of the emblems, so if you want a factory stocker, you're starting off with a handicap. 

you are correct. Mine is being built as a drag car so not a issue for me 😁