Model Cars Magazine Forum

September R2

Sledsel

I used the 63 Impala body for a slot car conversion several years ago - the rest was utterly forgettable.  A new firewall?  Woo hoo?

the GTO was awful, never finished it - can buy a much nicer diecast for about same as a new kit without all the disappointments of building that kit.   Maybe combine it with a proper kit- the Revell 66.  the chassis in my 67 wasn't even close to fitting snugly.  

69 Yenko Camaro?   Seems like we've been down that road before...again, what's the draw?  Revell kit is much better, imo.  

the best part of all of this might be the new accessories and the tires.   Just nothing there for me to spend on.  BUT for folks who haven't had the chance to build these before, I guess it's a good thing.   And the bodies are fairly accurate, if I'm not mistaken.  SO nice shelf models when complete.  

I also buy 1/64s.  Not much there.  Would like to have a Demon in a regular color.  The rest are not too exciting.  Who buys Zingers?  May see these about 2024 in my local WM.  If they ever sell the rest of the 2016 set they recently put on the pegs.  (!)

Some fair kits but only one I really want is the Chevelle wagon. He says the roof rack was never available. I think I have some earlier release parts and it's amongst them. I could be wrong. Also, cmon guys,  except for the Camaro, GAUGE DECALS! And green glass? I don't think so. What's the point of that??

Edited by Classicgas

4 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Some fair kits but only one I really want is the Chevelle wagon. He says the roof rack was never available. I think I have some earlier release parts and it's amongst them.  

Earlier releases had a roof 'rack' that was a large panel w/ a recessed area in it, like a tub.   Nothing like the cross bars that are being added.

Edited by Rob Hall

16 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Earlier releases had a roof 'rack' that was a large panel w/ a recessed area in it, like a tub.   Nothing like the cross bars that are being added.

Yeah I haven't dug out my parts to compare but it's hard to do that anyway with a drawing on the box side. Those drawings don't always compare well with parts. Will be interesting to see what's in the kit. No matter really as I will do mine stock anyway lol.

On 9/7/2019 at 9:11 AM, Classicgas said:

And green glass? What's the point of that??

If it was slightly tinted blue/green like the Solar Ray glass used on real cars, I'd be all for it!! And include a blue fade band on the decal sheet for the top of the windshield, please?

Things like that would get me to buy these old relics, for sure.

That and more variety of accurate (for the time period of the car), everyday license plates (not personalized) and underhood decals with each kit.

16 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

If it was slightly tinted blue/green like the Solar Ray glass used on real cars, I'd be all for it!! And include a blue fade band on the decal sheet for the top of the windshield, please?

Things like that would get me to buy these old relics, for sure.

That and more variety of accurate (for the time period of the car), everyday license plates (not personalized) and underhood decals with each kit.

Right on.

Sorry but I agree with Daddyfink. I don't understand how they expect to get new blood interested in the hobby with the same refried kits. When you see the prices many of the old promos are going for you'd think they'd want to get a piece of that action and offer some of those as kits. Even that may not entice younger folks into the hobby but there are plenty of us old heads that would scoop up a few of those kits. Maybe it's my short attention span but there's only so many times I can build the same kit or even find interest in someone else's build that we've all seen hundreds of times before no matter how crisp and clean it may be. Sorry for the rant but it's just frustrating.