Model Cars Magazine Forum

(seemingly) Same kits, different scales

I have always been curious about certain kits from Revell/Monogram, that seem to be available in different scales.

Recently there has been the Jeep Honcho kit, and the Mazda Miata from Revell. These kits were released years ago with with different scales listed on the box. There's a number of examples of this. Why did they do it? 

I know that prior to the merger, Monogram had many well respected 1/24 toolings, while Revell focused on 1/25 scale. I would assume that since they merged, they hope to appeal to all markets, i.e. those who have chosen to build in only one particular scale. I would be interested to hear whether or not that is the actual motivation behind it. More so, I am curious about the comparison between the different scale kits. I have never done a side-by-side, so that would answer a lot of my questions. Are the kits actually the same, and are all parts re-scaled? Is it a costly thing for the company to do? Is it something that requires cutting an entirely separate tool?

I am new to the hobby, so I enjoy learning about it's history. These forums have been a great source of knowledge for me, so thanks in advance for any info

oldjeep.webp new jeep.webp

It's most likely an oversight, I can't imagine they would invest money to cut both 1:24th scale and 1:25th scale tooling for kits of the same subject, one scale fraction is not much so they are too close for it to be meaningful.
If the tooling is from different manufacturers originally it's another thing...but in this case I don't believe it is.

Newer modelers, watch out for this dog in wolf's clothing. This Monogram "Classic Cruiser" '32 Ford roadster clearly says "1/25 scale" on the box.   You might think you're getting a re-box of the excellent Revell 1/25 scale "Highboy" roadster, or at least something in 1/25 scale.  Nope.  Inside that box is the ancient 1/24 scale Monogram kit. It can only be built with the full fenders because it doesn't even have a chassis. The front/rear suspension is glued to the fenders.

mono_32.jpg

I know I have a old Monogram 70 Chevelle SS454 1/24th I built years ago that I wanted to redo but was in to bad of shape to do as stock like I wanted. So I picked up in trade the Revell Baldwin motion 70 Chevelle 1/25th. Come to find out it's the same kit with a different hood and exhaust so I put the stock hood and exhaust on the new kit and did a custom on the old kit...

Old Monogram kit with the New Revell hood

IMG_2906.thumb.jpg.90cde46bfc1ca3c58b840e490033f527.jpg

Whatever it is, to get the true scale you have to put the ruler to it.  Some Monogram 1/24 scale kits are on the small side and closer to 1/25.  All Jo-Han AMC promos and kits from 1961 forward are actually 1/24 scale (kit boxes read 1/25, promo model boxes are correct).  And a lot of 1/25 scale kits, even some not based on promo models, measure out smaller than 1/25.  I won't get into old Japanese kits, except to say there's a series out there with two "1/24 scale" Mitsubishi Galant (Dodge Colt) kits.  The coupe measures out to about 1/23, while the four-door is closer to 1/26.  And these are in the same series, you're supposed to put them next to one another on the shelf.

1 hour ago, Richard Bartrop said:

An older release by Revell Germany of the Monogram 1/24 Cord, but listed as 1/25

143865-21885-99-pristine.jpg

This was originally released by Monogram in 1965. It's 1/24 scale, not 1/25.

image.png.7935b862baeaef55555f16b633851d61.png

Never mind. Long day already. :D

Edited by SfanGoch