Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maverick Pro Stock/Match Racer

Codi

Hi everyone,  this is a new thread centered around a JoHan Maverick Grabber I bought off ebay some months ago in the U.K. The car was in it's original box, no warpage, and even original shrink wrap.  I thought they didn't exist to be honest.  I'm doing a Pro Stock / match racer that is a "what if" type build.  The what if centers around the leaps in car development made from 1970 with the introduction of the Pro Stock class in NHRA to the mid-70's when Hemi Colts were just one of the wild rides of the day.  From the research I've done, many if not most Pro Stock racers spent a lot of time match racing as well. It was very lucrative for them and the factories (at least at the beginning) were happy to jump in and assist.  My car will be a bit different as it will be a "Pro Stock" car set up for match racing of the day.......or what "could" have been.  Wayne Gapp (check out Gapponline.com for great reference material btw) was part of the Ford team that created & developed the Boss 429.  Even though Ford bailed by 72' from direct factory support, it seems that Wayne maintained a "pipeline" of parts and good will with Ford.  Without going on about historical this or that, Ford had developed an all aluminum, 494 C.I. Boss (big by the standards at that time) for Mario Andretti's Can Am effort.  Records mention anywhere from 12 to 18 alum. blocks were cast.  Hubert Platt had one as did Gapp & Roush.  Interestingly enough, Wayne also developed a set of twin plug Boss heads that were never introduced because of Ford's sudden pull back of factory support.  The Gapp link I noted above gives great insights to the car(s) they were racing & developing.  My "what if" match racer is a Maverick with the lowered stance of the red "Shotgun Express" Gapp & Roush car which was unique at the time but with a Can Am 494 & his  twin plug Boss 429 heads.  Holley dominators with a Weiand/fabricated manifold should set the engine off.  Sorry, way too many words but this should give you and idea.   Pic's are a general theme and I have a bunch of after market items (resin, PE and 3D printed parts) on the way to compliment the machined / fabricated parts I'll be making. The JoHan chassis will be a big hurdle as it's worthless in my estimation.  I have "Minor" brass leaf springs coming among other oddities to hopefully achieve what I have in mind.  Norm from Replicas and Miniatures has already shipped his Boss 429 (he is GREAT to do business with btw) as a reference and I'm sure I'll utilize some of his engine parts for my build. I just have the firewall & chute to install on the Bantam and this new car will be front and center.  Cheers to all, Tim

image.png.984330888149ff1619695cbf9705e70a.png

I'll fab a new scoop but I wanted to see how straight the body was in primer.............first coat.......my kit was made in an ugly green plastic btw

image.png.2f27f1c7f1d558ea5c795145d581376a.png

a Boss 494 aluminum Can Am motor..........mine won't have the stack intake of course.  Dominator's and a fabbed manifold for my car. 

image.png.3138e3e3617dccc0a42eb5067f1affc2.png

The twin plug Boss 429 heads that Wayne was developing for the engine.  Remember the twin plug Chrysler hemi heads of the day............I love this kind of stuff as if you couldn't tell.

image.png.335f148e78714da3e0fa8090622a185e.png

Wayne's early Maverick the "Shotgun Express" which is a great reference for my build.  My car would have raced in 1972 if and only if factory support hadn't stopped.  I like to think that Ford could have more than held their own if this had come to fruition.  

image.png.f864426e0b964fd3b1618b1b27ddc7d7.png

• Like 2

Hi!

Interesting project, rare subject!

My brother had a similar 71 Comet, that he drag raced with. These cars were "minimalist", to say it bluntly. But when converted to Pro-Stock, they flew off the tree like crazy. Souvenirs...

To your point about the Johan chassis... I concur. Their kits were mostly upgraded promos with extra parts for the kit market. Their bodies were GREAT, even in minute details. But the chassis plate... You are right to discard and start with something else. 

Can't wait to see where it takes you!

CT

Thank you one and all that posted your interest in my next build.   Should be this weekend when this gets going in earnest on the bench.  Spent 3 1/2 hours today just detailing the Bantam firewall before install.  The jig I made up to display the body and various body panels is assembled as well.

Cheers, tim

If you have questions, or need some photos, I should be able to help some (my father is a FORD drag historian of sorts, and I also have a bunch of literature). Interesting fact, the pro stock Mavericks/Comets had Dana 60s in them and factory bench seats when delivered to make legal weight.  My father also has his 73 Comet he bought new, and a 71 Maverick he bought to turn into a period correct pro stock tribute car

Chris, a most generous offer which I would never say no to.  Anything you have of the period from 72' to 74" would be most helpful to say the least and chassis photos in particular would of great interest to me.  Btw,  any updates on the 71' he bought to make into a pro stock and what engine is he planning on putting in it?      Thanks again for the offer of assistance.   Cheers, Tim

That's a sweet looking car Guido.  To clarify regarding pictures, I'm most interested in chassis shots of either stock or race (Pro Stock class circa early 1970's) pictures.  I think I'm going to end up fabricating about most a chassis when all is said and done. We'll see.    Thanks in advance and if you'd prefer you can send me a PM and I'll reply in kind regarding pics.    Cheers, Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the laugh Derrick.  I didn't have one but we remember the days well.   I wanted to share that the last week or so I've been doing tons of research and planning on this new build.  I found a great site for those that like 70's Pro Stock cars that has hundreds (think more than 500) that was a wealth of insight.  Visit "Nostalgia Pro Stock" on Facebook.  It's a public site and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. 

With that in mind, many details have been set to paper.  It will have a scratch-built brass / alum. chassis to replace the stock kit.  I'll likely use the interior tub, make a new firewall and follow the NHRA 1973 Pro Stock rule book.  This was an interesting year as it was during this time that prominent existing and new chassis builders were coming to the fore.  I'll be putting in a lenco 4 speed as well.  A lot of new ideas were being put to practice and I'm going to incorporate them in the car.  I'll have to scratch build my headers, frame rails etc. as part of this.  I always loved the stance of the early 71' Mavericks but I wanted to push this towards the direction that the chassis builders & pro stock teams were starting to explore.  I'm dropping the stance among those changes to this car.  The rubber slicks are from Futurattraction.  His 32x15" which I sanded down about 1.0mm on my lathe.  A couple pics to give you an idea.......btw, the  Boss 494 I'm doing for this will have one of the earliest dry sump systems in drag racing so the engine will sit a wee bit lower in the chassis as well.  That will help to meet the NHRA rules stating that the hood scoop can't exceed 7" in height.  I'll be modifying the mailbox scoop on the car to reflect this as well.   Cheers!!

image.png.d3bc4447aaaf8fcf2ee709a4ed8a4e3b.png

image.png.8c302c7f3af40ec0abe341ef58cefe39.png

image.png.83f2ce628f5846e00e21c77fce266a49.png

Edited by Codi
  • Like 1

Hi!

The stance is sweet!.

As I'm sure you know already, many teams that were "pushing the envelope" back then were acid-dipping the bodies, to thin the sheetmetal and reduce weight. Some went overboard, and the shells became to thin and flexible... they had to put some "rigidity" back in. They resorted to installing temporary "walls" inside the quarters, trunk and c-pillars, trough which they injected high-density foam, then removed said walls after the foam hardened.  Virtually no weight penalty, and reduced body flex. I think the Mopar Missile (if my memory is not failing...) had that on one of their early Challenger or Demon/Duster.

I've never seen anyone push realism to this level, but if someone can, it certainly might be You!

Regards,

CT