Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maverick Pro Stock/Match Racer

Codi

On 9/30/2019 at 6:33 PM, Codi said:

Thanks for the laugh Derrick.  I didn't have one but we remember the days well.   I wanted to share that the last week or so I've been doing tons of research and planning on this new build.  I found a great site for those that like 70's Pro Stock cars that has hundreds (think more than 500) that was a wealth of insight.  Visit "Nostalgia Pro Stock" on Facebook.  It's a public site and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. 

With that in mind, many details have been set to paper.  It will have a scratch-built brass / alum. chassis to replace the stock kit.  I'll likely use the interior tub, make a new firewall and follow the NHRA 1973 Pro Stock rule book.  This was an interesting year as it was during this time that prominent existing and new chassis builders were coming to the fore.  I'll be putting in a lenco 4 speed as well.  A lot of new ideas were being put to practice and I'm going to incorporate them in the car.  I'll have to scratch build my headers, frame rails etc. as part of this.  I always loved the stance of the early 71' Mavericks but I wanted to push this towards the direction that the chassis builders & pro stock teams were starting to explore.  I'm dropping the stance among those changes to this car.  The rubber slicks are from Futurattraction.  His 32x15" which I sanded down about 1.0mm on my lathe.  A couple pics to give you an idea.......btw, the  Boss 494 I'm doing for this will have one of the earliest dry sump systems in drag racing so the engine will sit a wee bit lower in the chassis as well.  That will help to meet the NHRA rules stating that the hood scoop can't exceed 7" in height.  I'll be modifying the mailbox scoop on the car to reflect this as well.   Cheers!!

image.png.d3bc4447aaaf8fcf2ee709a4ed8a4e3b.png

image.png.8c302c7f3af40ec0abe341ef58cefe39.png

image.png.83f2ce628f5846e00e21c77fce266a49.png

The stance for your model reminds me of this car I saw at the NHRA Museum Twilight Cruise at Pomona CA back in April 2016.
This was a street driven car but I like the look of these Maverick and Comet race cars from that era.

P1010433.thumb.JPG.4315258402aec9c56f0c889c7e1fff16.JPG 

Edited by Force

Tim.... I absolutely love the stance and wheel combo. You have nailed it for sure. I can't wait to see the guy come to life. I am sure you got lots of tricks up your sleeves for this one and its gonna be a other fun ride to follow along on another one of your masterpieces. Cheers!

Hakan, I think if that Maverick in the pic had slicks under it the stance would be virtually identical.  I think it's on the right track.  thanks too.

Chris, thanks too.........Starting with the valve covers.  

TodayI spent some time "proofing" the valve cover detail.  I wanted to see how well I could replicate the ribbed detail on the original Boss 429 valve covers.  As mentioned, the valve covers I want to replicate are the experimental twin plug heads that Wayne Gapp had been developing.  Only a single pic of these exist that I could find so I wanted to see how close I could mimic them.  Pic one shows the detail without the plug & oil breather holes drilled.   The 2nd pic has them drilled and I think it's REALLY close to the pic.  The valve covers on this car are highly visible and I want to do a decent job copying them in 1/25th.  btw, the ribs are only .2mm in width.   cheers, tim

The original experimental valve cover

image.png.46c1ddd4afb4591220d80dfc40d18ec7.png

image.png.651c4c60d77f0df5a16ebf4999c1700a.png

image.png.c538b90fe9846440a4f5d4ab9baaa653.png

Edited by Codi

4 hours ago, Codi said:

Hakan, I think if that Maverick in the pic had slicks under it the stance would be virtually identical.  I think it's on the right track.  thanks too.

Chris, thanks too.........Starting with the valve covers.  

TodayI spent some time "proofing" the valve cover detail.  I wanted to see how well I could replicate the ribbed detail on the original Boss 429 valve covers.  As mentioned, the valve covers I want to replicate are the experimental twin plug heads that Wayne Gapp had been developing.  Only a single pic of these exist that I could find so I wanted to see how close I could mimic them.  Pic one shows the detail without the plug & oil breather holes drilled.   The 2nd pic has them drilled and I think it's REALLY close to the pic.  The valve covers on this car are highly visible and I want to do a decent job copying them in 1/25th.  btw, the ribs are only .2mm in width.   cheers, tim

The original experimental valve cover

Looks like you are on your way,  for sure!

Tim, That Jo-Han Maverick body is quite nice isn't it. ( did you get that nasty dark Green color?)

Looks like you are off to a good start. Are you using any CNC or is this good old manual machine skills ? ?

Will be watching how this progresses for sure.

Cheers.

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER

I like the Maverick kit Johan put out, I have one I built probably 25 years ago and still have it thankfully... mine is missing a few motor parts but I just haven’t done the research yet to try to find them, I will someday... your build is looking great 

61C40B40-A489-4D15-88FD-6ECBFFE85301.jpeg

3A79EEF4-ADF0-4658-A337-09C9A558B9B2.jpeg

Tim

Looking forward to how this project goes. Ive got the same kit and am thinking of building it as an early Pro-Stock.(almost box stock)

Just some chassis detail/changes undernieath for the most part.

What kind of chassis have you planned for this? and can I ask, where do you find good documentation for these old Pro-Stock

type of cars. Ive researched Maverick chassis for most of the well known drag cars of the era but can't find much that shows any detail.

I wanted to reply to Kurts question about research.  Going  on-line has been most helpful.  Go to Facebook page "Nostalgia Pro Stock" as I noted above and you'll find tons of great pics / info.  I also spent a couple hundred dollars buying old early 70's magazines that featured these cars.  The most useful IMO were Car Craft,  Super Stock and Drag Illustrated and lastly Drag Racing USA.  There are a few good books you can buy as well (Sox & Martin among them along with books on Pro Stock racing back in that period)  Lastly, I've turned to some great contacts for certain info that is just hard to come by.  Dave (Com1839) has provided me with great renderings/measurements for the Holley Dominators and Boss 429 heads and valve covers.  Makes machining these pieces infinitely easier. THANKS DAVE!!!    I have many hours of time so far in research and have two  2 1/2" binders filled with pertinent info.  1 for the Hemi Colt and 1 for the Maverick.  Lastly, I found on the Gapp On-Line site great info as well and conveniently a copy/outline of the NHRA rules for Pro Stock for 1973.   Great transitioning year for the class.   Hope this helps.  Cheers, Tim

Obviously, this is a Comet, but...Hey! I can scan this for you, Tim, if it would be helpful. It's from Hot Rod Magazine's Yearbook number 11.  It might take me a couple of days to get to it. I had forgotten that this one isn't a tubed-frame car. But, I guess that makes sense, since his was so early in Pro Stock's infancy. Thanks for the tip on Nostalgia Pro Stock, on FB. Excellent source!

Poole DSC_0002.jpg

Poole DSC_0003.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

21 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Obviously, this is a Comet, but...Hey! I can scan this for you, Tim, if it would be helpful. It's from Hot Rod Magazine's Yearbook number 11.  It might take me a couple of days to get to it. I had forgotten that this one isn't a tubed-frame car. But, I guess that makes sense, since his was so early in Pro Stock's infancy. Thanks for the tip on Nostalgia Pro Stock, on FB. Excellent source!

I FORGOT all about that article!! I have it here on the shelf as well!

21 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Thanks fellas for all your contributions.  At this point I'm now set on what I'm doing for the build and have the info I need......well, I might have to ask Dave if he might have some "numbers" possibly but other than a few odds and ends, I'm now ready to get on with this.  Next week if all goes well I'll have a pretty accurate set of aluminum valve covers to share and this will be off and running.   Its been some time since I've sat at the mill and even though I'm shakin' off some rust,  its fun to get back to it.  Till next week, cheers, tim

well Dave. 1 down, 1 to go.  Thanks again for the info you shared.  These things are complicated (at least for me) to figure out and machine.  Just got to part this one off but I'm going to get started right away on its twin before I forget what the heck I did.  ?

image.png.3b59f245e435e68cd001efd0b6d9fdde.pngI was intending on doing the experimental 16 plug heads Wayne Gap was developing but after getting the top part cut in, I didn't want to mess it up by adding more holes etc. to it.  I liked the singular plug look better.  

image.png.cc9e3d1091c341783bce5d5ca98ad30a.png

image.png.9d9a82bc44dd78293e86fde4e438a876.png

Thank you Claude & Mike........making a pair is time consuming.  8 hours to make 1.   yup, I admit that. 

Dave, well, I've not been doing this for a bit but I think these are better than my Donovan valve covers.  Thanks as always!

Kurt, agreed, after getting them done, it would be a shame to have to do that to them.  It's still going to be the 494 Alum. Can-Am motor all the same.  Thanks too1

Well Doug, you stumped me but I learned something today.  I never even heard of magetic polishing.  Looked it up and it seems really intriguing.  I used 0000 Steel wool and my dremel with a polishing wheel. 

The pair are done other than parting them off, some minor shaping, adding the bolts and they're finished.     Cheers to all that are following along.   tim

image.png.444c9d2d834106177dd701e5fd964523.png

image.png.43f1f4a6b133338c35abb974b03635ca.png

image.png.dd3a4fc786cf0a272b83bce7f3497fe8.png

image.png.0e977858a92a1f137fa4204422d73650.png