Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maverick Pro Stock/Match Racer

Codi

Thanks for the chuckle Claude.  The cap is actually machined on the lathe from alum. and painted red but I'm glad it looks realistic.  Some days are more productive than others.  I added the bolts to the pan and I'm going to start doing some experimenting on some ideas I have on how to make the carbs.   1 more pic but it's hard to get everything in focus on some of these shots.  cheers, tim

DSC 0041

19 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi!

Great workmanship. Bravo! 

But what gets me smiling is the rubber cap on the water-pump. Just like any respectable fabricator would use while an engine is around a milling machine, just to be prudent...

CT

I was noticing that as well. I don't think he forgets much. lol.

Hi there Bruce & Joe........and thank you too.  I wanted to take a moment before working on the carbs to see how the engine fit the car based upon my earlier ride height etc. and that it would comply with the rules.  All is good.  The #1 cylinder lines up beautifully with the front spindle and a 10% maximum engine set back.   The intake/carbs will fit under the mandated max. 7" tall hood scoop and there's plenty (?) of room between the heads and sides of the car.  I keep these photos/numbers for future ref when it comes time to do the chassis.  Please remember that the engine will NOT be in the car when finished, but it still should fit nonetheless.   Happy Easter to all that celebrate the Holiday.   Tim

DSC 0040

DSC 0060

DSC 0043

DSC 0056

DSC 0065

DSC 0063

Thank you Scott, Francis AND Dave.  If you haven't checked out Dave's 1:1 37' Chevy with the new paint job, be sure to check out his Fotki page.......it's stunning. 

Well, started experimenting on how to make certain parts for the Autolite carbs.  The first pieces actually done are the accelerator pump actuator arms.  That's a mouthful.  I used M.A.S. photo etch zip ties and machined a steel jig to bend them over to get the right size and configuration.  1st pic shows their location on the actual carb and then the ones I made.  Back to the "lab" to figure out some more things.  Cheers, tim

I want to also acknowledge Randy D. and his work that he shared doing his Weber carbs for his GT-40 project.  He proved to me that with some effort & ingenuity I could make these. He shared some great ideas & methods and for that I want to thank Randy in advance!

DSC 0013

DSC 0034

The steel piece to shape them. 

DSC 0037

Hi Tim....I haven’t been around the Forum for a long time....but, I’m back to the Bench ....I really have enjoyed this thread of your latest build......your work is truly amazing ......glad to see your still building ....hope you and your family are well and safe during these crazy times .....?

Tim.... Your updates are incredible my friend. I am so amazed an blown away by your machining. I would love to know what some of your set ups on the Mill are like. I have been doing some work my self and you definitely have to think about how your going to approach a part, anyway will have to show you some of my mediocre attempts at it. Your finish is 2nd to none. Such inspiring work.

Hey Tim! I haven't been real active on the forum for a while until recently, so I am just now finding this thread. I had to do a Netflix-style binge to get caught up, and so glad I did because this is another great WIP. I love your research and attention to detail, and the ingenuity you bring to the projects. I'm so glad you're back at it. You could've dropped the mic after the last build and no one could blame you. I'll be watching!

-Art

Hi John.........it is sooo good to see you back at the bench now.  You've gotta be more than ready to crank out some more treats for us to follow.  Keep it up and you'll need to add on to that new man-cave and your trophies!  

Mark & Joe.......always appreciate your comments and interest in what I'm messin' around with.    Thanks!

Chris, so nice to hear from you too after so long..........we gotta get you back up and running here on the forum with another great build soon.  hint-hint.........if and when you should ever have a question that you think I can help you with, please ask.   I've spent time off and on at the bench trying to proof out certain methods on how to make the carbs I'm tackling.  I've not even drawn them up yet but trying to figure out the "how" before I go further.  It's been hit or miss which is normal of course.  I DO like the progress so far on my fabrication ideas, but I've still got a ways to go.  I can share that they are certainly one of the most challenging parts I've ever tried to make.  Time will tell.     cheers

Art, hey man, same as Chris.........we need a LOT more of your projects here on the forum.  Always nice to hear from you and I am very appreciative of your sentiments.       More experimentation tomorrow......I think by Monday I should have most of it figured out.   Cheers ALL! 

Pete, the ties were something I bought 4 or 5 years ago.  If  you're in need of a few, let me know.  I can probably spare you half a dozen if that works.  cheers, tim

Thank you Brad for the compliment.  At times the most fun is the time I've spent recently experimenting on the "how to make it" part of the build.  It's fun when an idea comes to fruition.  Making slow but steady progress.  cheers, tim

This pic was one of my recent experiments.  It's a machined venturi for the carb(s).  The width of the "arm" that extends out from the center needs to be narrowed down to .3mm and extended in length by about .4mm.   Doesn't sound like much but in scale, it will make a difference.  Only 8 of the little buggers to make.  Also figured out (finally) how to machine certain angles etc.  One last big step to figure out then I can onto drawing/making them.  cheers to all, tim

DSC 0002

Tim, your updates are always inspirational. Amazing. Can't wait to see more of the carbs. I should have known you wouldn't choose just any 'ol carbs. And btw, the giant tweezers store is curb pickup only guys, so bring a full size pickup.

Dave