Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maverick Pro Stock/Match Racer

Codi

I'm not being critical of your work at all,  it's just so good that it's hard for my brain to recognize it as a part that's the size of my finger nail and not the size of my thigh. The items look great dimensionally. I think I see a little chatter on what I'm guessing is climb milling side of the cut, as I do not see it on the opposite side of the operation that would indicate to me as being a conventional milling operation. It could be intended, as it makes them look like a casted part with some milling operations performed to bring them into spec, just like the real deal. I might even be seeing some weird lighting or shadowing.  I'm looking at a little picture on my phone after all. 

I'm not sure what's even possible with machining items so small. I need to see what tooling is available and what kind of tolerances are achievable in metal.  I have seen some little CNC routers doing some very intricate things in rapid prototyping small PCB boards. 

My model is slowly coming together, key word slowly. I glued it up and cut apart the body in two days and was disappointed. I tapped the body back together to pull some measurements from it and the factory tub. SFI certified chassis V1.0 - V1.6 failed. V2.3 is coming along nicely. I started using Computer Aided Design to prototype my plastic tube work, and Cardboard Aided Design for the brass flat stock. I got sick of walking back and forth to the shop every time I needed to measure or reference something and started to use Google. I soon  realized that others had been doing what I'm attempting for a long time (Yeah, I'm pretty dumb for a smart guy). I haven't been working on mine much for the past couple of days because I can't get my jaw off the table. 

After a lot of expended effort (not all of it wasted however) I went to plan "B" on the carb bodies.  I'm machining each of the carb bores with their tangs individually.  Have 6 more to do.  Then I'll machine the bodies they mate to and make the other parts that go onto that.  I got the look I was seeking but not in a 1 piece method.  3 pieces instead.  The body that connects the bores in the pics was a quick sanity check.  The body is NOT correct but all n' all one can get a good idea of where I'm going. I'm confident now that these will look the part when I get everything made and assembled.  Cheers, Tim

DSC 0026

DSC 0030

Guys, much appreciated.  Got 3 more of the barrels done yesterday.  4 to go. Takes me 1 1/2 hours to do each.  ugh! 

Jason, I use for the smaller end mills Kyocera. They have a factory in the U.S.A.   I can pick em' up on ebay/amazon and some on-line shops that sell end mills / exclusively.  For larger end mills (1/8" and up) I use a firm called Lakeshore Carbide.  They're not cheap but they have what I want and they last......also have the "odd-balls" like tapers / corner rounders etc.  They're service is top notch too.  Hope this helps.

16 hours ago, comp1839 said:

exactly,........how does one go about complimenting you on this?  abso-frickin-lutetely cool!!!!!!!

I agree Dave!!! Seeing it in person helps somewhat, but I'm still blown away with Tim's results. And with his willingness to stop what he is doing and spend time showing me how to successfully work with braided line. Thanks again Tim!!! 

You're welcome Jason.......and I'm always willing to help a friend Dave.  It was great to see you again too. 

I got 3 hours bench time this morning.  6 down, 2 to go.  I mocked up the barrels under the top portion to "visualize" how they're coming along. 1st pic is on the mill......next 2 give a peek on direction.  Can't wait to get to the 4 carb bodies that join the 8 barrels together.  I've high hopes for these now.  The slots you see on the sides of the barrels will have .5mm tube inserted to replicate the actual carbs.  Found some super T2M bolts to fit the tang holes.  The tang holes are .3mm in diameter as an fyi.  PLEASE ignore the ratty tubes I used to line-up the barrels for the sake of the photo........obviously they won't part of the final assembly.  I did a quick check on parts count on the pair of carbs....it will be somewhere just north of 100 pcs. & that doesn't include linkage etc.   cheers, tim

DSC 0051

DSC 0061

DSC 0065

Dave, is that english you're speaking?   appreciate your post as always!

Francis, thanks sir, I've got it figured out now.....couple more interesting TINY parts to make but today's pics have me pretty enthused on how it's going to look when done. 

1st pic shows the 4 bodies I just completed with the barrels nestled on each end.  The other pics show the tops in place (just lined up by eye, nothing is permanent yet)  I'll make a simple jig to secure the pieces together, glue it up and deck the tops one last time on the mill for a perfectly flat surface. Some of the bodies are off in height by .12mm ......after that, I'll make the last big component which is the base plate for each.  Then all the myriad bits and pieces.  Thanks in advance for checking out my progress!   tim

DSC 0091

DSC 0108

DSC 0126

DSC 0131

Outstanding as always Tim, I will admit super jealous of your abilities doing machining. I can see why you need to think out every process to get your end results. Can’t wait for more progress sir!

I also wish I lived more closer to see this in person. It would be a real treat.

Appreciate all of those that continue to visit and also post to this thread. Running out the door but I wanted to quickly share the 1st of 2 carb bases.  Between drawing it up and milling it, about 15 hours or so.  As much time drawing it as milling.  2nd one should go much quicker.  I'll share pics of them parted off and completed as a set.  Oh so close on getting these carbs finally done.  cheers, tim

DSC 0146

DSC 0160

Here you can see 4 of the 6 bleed/adj. screw holes on the fuel bowl side of the plate.  The other two are on each end of the base.

DSC 0182

Is there a reason why you couldn't mill the features further into your stock and part off both bases at once? 

Your attention to detail is insane and inspiring. I want to build a mini machine shop when I move. I'll probably just make washers and drill holes, wishing to build something half as cool as your work. 

Thanks Joe & Jerry.  

Dick, the reason is because I'm using end mills that are 1/64" that break when you just look at them.  The length of cut is the biggest issue because of the overall height of the part when cut off it makes it difficult if not impossible because of how short a 1/64" end mill is.  1/64" being .4mm approx. 

I  bought some cheap ones on Amazon and broke most of them the day they got here like I was getting paid to do it.  The flutes on these seemed excessive, like they were designed to hog out a lot of material quickly. I know they don't like plunge cuts or drilling at all  in styrene. I think they are designed for PCB cutting. I was fixing to start ordering parts for a CNC 3 axis mill until my wife turned me on to the 3d printer. I really enjoyed turning and milling perfectly good metal into completely useless chips with my old worn out Bridgeport and wobbly three legged lathe with a broken feed screw. I love manual machining, but it doesn't love me. I want to give mini machinery a go when I get into a place where I have more elbow room. I'm a  glutton for punishment I guess. I have pretty good understanding of the tools, practices, and procedures that you are using to create these tiny marvels of engineering. I don't understand what the machinist is thinking as you go through mastering your craft. I'm in awe flipping through the pages wondering how you're doing it, and it has me wanting to figure it out. If I ask dumb questions it's because I'm trying to compare what you are doing with my experiences so I can learn a thing or two from you, I'm not criticizing your work at all. I want to join the ranks with all you manual machinists, if I ever sell my home. I'm stuck with digital machines in the meantime. 

some pics of the other carb parts sitting on the base that I just parted off.  Now onto the other so I can finish these up and get to the manifold.  As a note, these are all just resting one on top of the other so nothing has been glued/assembled yet.  Just a quick mock-up so I can see where I"m at.  cheers, tim

DSC 0206DSC 0189

DSC 0226

DSC 0232