Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maverick Pro Stock/Match Racer

Codi

Too funny Dave.......isn't that always the case.   I did get a pair done & early next week I'll show all four with the bits and pieces attached.  They're looking pretty good and they're fitting up perfectly to the main bodies of the carbs very well.  soooo close.     cheers, tim

I finished machining the fuel bowls.  I've got 8 parts to put on each to finish them but I wanted to do a quick mock-up to see where I'm at.  5 picks, nothing is permanently attached as of these pics. I have to make some small bits and pieces (tubing etc.) and a simple jig to line each carb up for the assembly.  Moving along though and I'm happy with em'.  When completely detailed, they should be worthy of the engine.  Cheers, Tim

The 2 small pieces in the foreground of the pics are the fuel bowls machined in steel. The contrast on the carbs of the fuel bowls and acc. pump bodies should add a nice complement to them.   cheers, tim

accelerator pump side of the carb

DSC 0328

fuel bowl side of the carb

DSC 0332

DSC 0343

DSC 0357

DSC 0347

Many thanks EVERYONE for the comments!!   I'm well into the assembly finally and thankfully. They're challenging lets just say.   I think by next week both will be completed and I'll be onto the manifold.     Cheers, Tim

For Claude's question about the coloration.  I have that magazine cover.  It was shot that way by the photographer for whatever reason. Seems the hot rod mags were "experimenting" a lot in those days and thought it looked cool I suppose.  The accelerator pump plates and some of the fuel bowls have that "zinc" tint to them in some of the pics I've seen.  Maybe those parts were cast separately in a different metal/alloy.  I know they're cast aluminum but I've seen them polished too.  The pic I'm sharing is of the real deal in natural lighting.  You can just make out the tint I'm speaking of.  

DSC 0013

DSC 0011

DSC 0059

Hi Tim!

The colorizing of Hot Rod front page was indeed frequent, you are perfectly right. The real thing you are showing in your pictures, on the other hand, show the effect of time, that slight dullish surface old cars rebuilders know so well.

One can only imagine how the parts looked when they came out of the box, back then...

Keep on!

CT 

Tim... it's great to hear that you are on the assembly side of these bad boys. I can not wait to see the pics once you have them done. They are amazing works of art already and only going to be better all assembled. Love these awesome reference pics. I will be patiently waiting for your next update. Cheers!

Well Claude & Chris......the pair aren't done yet but I have many of the sub-assemblies complete.  I've got many hundreds of hours now into these over the last 5 + months.  I do have 1 finished with the fuel bowls attached & I wanted to share some pics as I'm quite pleased how they're turning out.  FInal count is 75 pieces PER carb / 150 for the pair.   Pushing hard to have the pair completed by Sunday.  Cheers, Tim

DSC 0379DSC 0365

DSC 0384

DSC 0390

Tim

I have seen some pretty amazing stuff in all different scales but these carbs you are building are surpassing everything!!!!!!   Can't wait to see them with the covers an clips and linkage and plumbing and.....gotta go stare some more....

Randy

Carbs are done.  I'll attach the accelerator pump arms after affixing to the manifold.  Which is next to be fabricated.  I wanted to mock-up the carbs for height and position on the carb (this is pretty close) as I'm all about the visual.  The manifold will be machined of brass & soldered then media blasted.  It will be painted as an aside.  cheers everyone and I'm running out the door.......I'll be sure to thank each of you for your posts when I get back later today.   Thanks too for indulging me for all the pics I'm posting this time around.   Cheers, Tim

DSC 0444

DSC 0448

DSC 0414

DSC 0454

DSC 0418

DSC 0426

DSC 0435

DSC 0436

DSC 0437

DSC 0441

A pure delight for the eyes Tim!  I never saw (and didn't know they existed) these carburetors before you showed them to us as an option for this build and was wondering how you could replicate them at 1/25 scale.   Now I have another proof that dedication and skill can make great things!  I take my hat off to you sir! ?