Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maverick Pro Stock/Match Racer

Codi

Dave (Comp1839) - You've been an avid fan and supporter for a long while.   Will always be thankful the knowledge you've shared over the years and helped me become a better machinist.   I admit that these were/are the most challenging things I've ever tackled.  These are at the limits of my abilities.  Ready to move on to get this build done.

Brad (Gasser59) - I echo what I said to Dave. You've always encouraged me and followed along.  Means a lot.  Thanks!

Francis (AmericanMuscleFan) -  Appreciated sir.  Your work speaks volumes for sure.  Really enjoying your threads and glad you like what I'm doing on this one.   cheers

Jason (JasonCamaro) - Thanks too man.   The details are a bit much and sadly, only by taking pictures and showing them on the computer screen can you appreciate the effort in these.  They DO look great in person, you just have to look REALLY closely (a magnifier helps too). 

Randy (RandyD) - Who doesn't love a RandyD. model?  Answer: No one.  Thanks my friend for posting and following.  It's always a treat to open your build threads to see what you're up to. 

Daniel (Straightliner59) - Thanks to you as well for checking in and the comments.  Hope you like the rest of it as I make S-L-O-W progress!

Cheers to one and all!   Tim

Tim,   OMG.... 300 parts sitting on top of the manifold!!!!!   Can't decide which side I like better, the fuel inlet side or the side showing the cool little covers & clips...ummm

This is a craftsman looking at a part and saying I can duplicate that...and then doing it.

Randy

Thank you Chris but you really need to read my notes.........waiting on YOUR new build post sir...........hint-hint-hint...............

Randy - wrong count sir.......150 total parts of the 2 carbs combined.........75 each....sorry to confuse!   Sure seemed like 300 each though.....

Too funny Bruce, and thanks once more for following along.

Bob, also a big thanks.........regarding your comment,  it's a sickness I think I have.   I can't imagine anyone else would bother or take the time I put into these 2 carbs.  Sometimes I get too far into the trees as they say.  

Charlie, having checked out and admired your work as well, I will certainly be looking forward to your Boss build as well.   

Cheers fellas!  

Finally got something off the mill now that I've started the manifold.  I made some mistakes along the way and learned how fragile this part is after spending 3 1/2 hours yesterday making one and having it bend while machining it.  Without sharing too much yet on the overall design, I really wanted the curvature that you see on the manifold "log" (as I call them)  Some imagination and trial and error and I got 1 done to my liking.  The drivers side "log" is bent as you can see from the pick and is junk, but I had to put it next to the other that turned out.  cheers, tim

some of the experiments in the foreground. 

DSC 0464

a better view of the curvature I wanted to maintain

DSC 0465

the piece of brass is scrap that is supporting the log. I just wanted to be sure the dimensions were proper.

DSC 0468

I wanted to an "experimental" intake for the car in tune with the whole build theme.  The manifold logs look like an injection style manifold but I came across several intake pics of the Autolite carbs that used a similar style.  Not counting nuts and bolts, I think there will be 14 or 15 parts to it when completed.  

DSC 0469

On 10/6/2020 at 4:37 PM, Codi said:

Well Claude & Chris......the pair aren't done yet but I have many of the sub-assemblies complete.  I've got many hundreds of hours now into these over the last 5 + months.  I do have 1 finished with the fuel bowls attached & I wanted to share some pics as I'm quite pleased how they're turning out.  FInal count is 75 pieces PER carb / 150 for the pair.   Pushing hard to have the pair completed by Sunday.  Cheers, Tim

DSC 0379DSC 0365

DSC 0384

DSC 0390

Hi Tim!

Well, this thing is ready for a world tour: I can think of the Museum Of Modern Art, and the Petersen... just for starters!

Masterful. Bravo!

CT

Wow Tim, the depth of background information really makes this interesting! And from the photos I’ve seen so far this is truly masterful, ultimate level modeling. What a delight to watch this project unfold, and thanks for letting us all in on it!?

I promise to respond to each of you later today.  For now I'm simply posting a few pics of the start of the plenums for the manifold.  I've included a pic to give you some idea of the direction I'm going with the manifold.  They look like teeny torpedoes or something right now.  They'll get cut in half and drilled (that should be interesting to do) and comprise the bottom half of the plenum itself.  I'm going to try to put a PE Ford logo on the sides of them as well, more later.   cheers and thanks again everyone!  tim

Sorry for the quality of this pic.......the plenum design was part of a manifold for a 351Cleveland btw that had twin Autolite's on it. 

DSC 0478

DSC 0479

DSC 0482

Edited by Codi

Chris, you're taking waaayyy too long.....come on man and post the new stuff, it's been more than a year since we've heard from you.......

Charlie, you'll have a tougher time keeping up with Francis.........I'm MUCH slower than he is......Cheers too!

tim (lordgodbob) - I think it's a pretty cool set-up too.  The gentleman that shared his with me (so I could get the necessary dimensions to machine them) offered to sell it to me but it was a bit out of my price range.  thanx!

Claude, I'll certainly wouldn't go that far but I am pleased with it.  There were parts of the Bantam that I learned a lot from and thought that I'd go a "simpler" route..........seems that's not going to be the case here either..........oh well.   thanks for checking in!

Josh, nice to see a new post too and that you're interested in the car.  Hope you like the rest. 

Hakan, thanks sir......everytime I see your post or reply I remember the time I visited Finland............wonder country & people.  cheers, tim

Francis.....keep her going man. I'm following your posts even though I don't respond with each new pic............thanks for the sentiments too.

Joe, yes you MUST post more and show more progress  ( funny huh coming from me ) I need all the ideas I can get.   cheers

Dave, been some time since I've seen your post/reply.  Thanks and I am glad you found this thread.  The manifold is the last step / part I'm making for the engine and then it's done.   I'm going to make an engine stand to display / have it out of the car as an fyi.  Still plenty to do though.   cheers, tim

Hi Fellas, today's solitary pic gives an idea of the direction I'm taking the manifold.  From this pic you can't see how off center the carb/stacks are.  It was visible to the naked eye if that tells you anything.  So I went back, checked my numbers/drawing and sure enough, the manifold "log" angle was off by 1 (yes, ONE) degree.   I machined it and test fit the bugger and now it's absolutely perfect.  Amazing after all this time of doing this what 1 degree looks like.  The tubes fit into a scrap plenum that i made........it's too short by about .5mm overall.  That too shows up to my eye so I'll cut / drill the pair so they're a better length.   I know this might seem silly but when I'm doing something like this that I've not done before, no matter what the drawings say, sometimes you just have to tweek it "that little bit more" to make it right. I'll cut the other "log" by a degree tomorrow and finish both plenums.  Then the manifold base is up and this will be pretty much done.  I will have 2 plenum adapter plates that go between the plenums and carbs to finish it all off.............cheers one and all,   tim

DSC 0490

Anton & Jason nice to see two posts from from around the world.........never visited Sweden or New Zealand but they're on the bucket list.  Hopefully some day.  I got the plenums done and did a mock-up last evening.  Nothing is glued/soldered assembled just yet other than the carbs themselves.  I'll machine the bottom of the manifold / cover next and turn the injector tubes down in brass and finally do the carb / plenum adapter plates in aluminum.  When assembled I'll media blast it as I said and paint / detail it.  Bunch of pics to give a great idea of what it will look like.  cheers, tim

the half-round tube in the center is to ensure the intakes themselves didn't fall over while taking the pics.    obviously won't be there.

DSC 0495

DSC 0552

DSC 0562

DSC 0564

DSC 0573

DSC 0579

DSC 0580

DSC 0582