Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maverick Pro Stock/Match Racer

Codi

Tim, amazing bit of work on the whole intake set up!  I was going back to the bench to do some work and saw this.  It is now a tossup if I take this as inspiration or realization that this is so far beyond me that I just quit! ?  I really need to get back to the bench just to cut some metal!

Edited by Pete J.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2020 at 9:18 PM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Simply magnificent Tim!  The engine will be amazing (it already is) and it looks like a gemstone in its case when you see it between these two pieces of fabric.  Handle with care...

What he said........I didn't have the words

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since an update.  Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving and had the chance to share it with family and friends.   Since the engine is basically done other than final assembly (I need to paint the intake first though) I took a detour and made an engine stand for it.  The brass portion you see will be painted flat or semi-matte red.  The gear reduction box that rotates the engine (it's the small steel box with the wheel attached to it) will remain unfinished steel.  Btw, it does not actually rotate and no gears are inside.......in case you thought I was totally nuts.   Nothing has been glued or soldered together yet, that's up next.  This is how everything fits and balanced just by dry assembly.......super tight. I have  pads for wheels for making it mobile ( mine will NOT be on wheels as it will be a static display).  1 brace, a bracket to support the gear drive and the 4 brass spacers over the bolts  that attach the stand to the block and it will be complete.  

I would also like to acknowledge all of the great support I've received on this thread from fellow members of the forum.  It's appreciated I assure you.  Best regards to all, Tim

DSC 0590

DSC 0601

DSC 0603

DSC 0606

DSC 0608

Dave (comp1839) - you wouldn't want to trust me to even polish the darn thing let alone work on it..........?

A sincere thanks Daniel. 

Thank you Francis......I'm certainly enjoying the truck build......great stuff sir. 

Joe, thank you too, appreciate the comparison to Francis and his work.......he's a heck of a builder.  

Chris, oh Chris...........come on man, stop with the sweet talk...........how about a NEW post and thread from you??  I'm dying to see what you've been working on.  

Got something figured out and started for the chassis.  I put together a complete 2 1/2" binder full of reference pics / info just for the chassis. I'll draw the chassis up over the Holiday's but also start making some things.  The rear end I'm working on is a Ramcharger Dana 60.  It's a bit different (magnesium center section as one example) than a standard Dana 60 and I like some of the details.  I've included 2 pics of the real deal and a few pics of the 1st piece for it.  I'll media blast the whole thing when done for a more accurate magnesium look.  (I'll paint it if I have to).      To those that celebrate it, A most Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to one and all!   Cheers, Tim

Pic 1 - this pic is of the 72' Sox & Martin Duster

DSC 0619

Pic 2 is of the famous (infamous) Mopar Missile 74' Duster.....they included Trick Titanium axle tubes no less.  I'll use Ti too for this build.

DSC 0621

The remaining pics are of the plate itself.  The pumpkin portion will be next up.  I like the rear cover girdle that goes from end to end.  The units were made by Henry's Axles for the Ramcharger's....so being in a Ford, I won't be putting the Ramcharger's logo on the girdle.  There are a lot of additional steps / pieces I have to make so this will take a while I'm sure as I want to make it as close to accurate as possible. 

DSC 0626

DSC 0627 (1)

DSC 0631

Francis - Thank you.  I hope to have the entire rear cover completed today or tomorrow.  Made some mistakes and had to start over on the pumpkin portion.  The main housing with all the support splines will be most tricky.   cheers, tim

Ron (butter) - Appreciated, I'm glad they're sitting on top of the engine as I have so much time / effort in them.  Thanks for noticing.  Tim

Josh (venom) - My wife won't put my builds on her shelves but she does let me put them on mine.  She's just happy the hobby gets me out of her hair.   :)   cheers, tim

Joe - Thanks as always.

Randy - There he is, nice to see you popping in and that you like what you see, progress is slow but it IS progress.   How's you Porsche project coming along?  Time for a new update...........right?    cheers, tim

Charlie, For those not following Charlies build, you should make the time.  Stunningly nice work.  Thanks for the Holiday wishes too and the same to you!   Cheers, tim

Chris Chabre, thank you too Chris, hope to have some good updates soon and once the rear is done, then it's on to making the chassis itself.  I've got a lot planned for it.             

Cheers to one and all and a Happy New Year!      Tim

Hi everyone, I got the rear cover done.  The pieces are NOT permanently assembled just yet.  Some I might media blast, others polish.  Bolts have to be added too.  Next up is the tricky part of the rear end.  I have to figure out a few steps to create it but I',m making headway.  The last pic shows the rear cover, a titanium rod (for the axles) and an acid etched piece that shows the effect that I am going to apply to the main portion of the axle.  I learned that to get a proper etch on it, I need to media blast if first, then dunk it (I'm using Caswell's Aluminum Black-en-it as an fyi then I lightly polish it with my dremel wheel).  I think it should look pretty cool when I get it done.   Cheers to all!  tim

DSC 0634

In this pic you'll notice that the girdle is not exactly in it's slot.......it does fit I assure you.........

DSC 0640

DSC 0651

DSC 0660