Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maverick Pro Stock/Match Racer

Codi

Commenting on your skills and what you have built so far is redundant, but I do want to say that you are an inspirational and motivating  force in the hobby.  While I  will never come even close to your level you have pushed me to improve as a modeler and I find myself going back two or sometimes  three times to tweek a part for a better result.  Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, now that winter break is over, I've got a single pic of the drawings I've worked on to do the rest of the Dana 60 rear end.  I bought an actual rear cover gasket to base my original numbers upon and did TONS of research on-line.  Came up with reasonable numbers & drawings to work from to mimic the "Henry's Axle" company casting. Reminder, they were the firm that did the Ramcharger's rear ends back in the day and was used by many racers.  Cast in magnesium was one of the claims to fame.  7 renderings (not counting those thrown away) and materials prepped.  Today I'll get started and see where it ends up now.  In the pic you can see the gasket and the drawings themselves.  Thanks to each of you that continue to follow and post words of encouragement.   cheers, tim

DSC 0032

On 2/26/2021 at 9:48 AM, Codi said:

Well, now that winter break is over, I've got a single pic of the drawings I've worked on to do the rest of the Dana 60 rear end.  I bought an actual rear cover gasket to base my original numbers upon and did TONS of research on-line.  Came up with reasonable numbers & drawings to work from to mimic the "Henry's Axle" company casting. Reminder, they were the firm that did the Ramcharger's rear ends back in the day and was used by many racers.  Cast in magnesium was one of the claims to fame.  7 renderings (not counting those thrown away) and materials prepped.  Today I'll get started and see where it ends up now.  In the pic you can see the gasket and the drawings themselves.  Thanks to each of you that continue to follow and post words of encouragement.   cheers, tim

i like how you plan your project man, good example...

• 4 weeks later...

THANK YOU GUYS!!   Seriously this was a slog, not enough bench time and tedious stuff to machine.  Hopefully you'll like what you see even though it's not quite completely finished.  

Sooooo, many days/weeks later and I finally have something to post pics of.  I just have to assemble it and "finesse" things like the ribs etc. to final fitment. After getting all of this machined I had to see a mock-up so these pics represent where I'm at.  Give me this week and I should have pics of it completely assembled / completed.  Not sure yet if I'm going to paint the pumpkin' portion or antique black it with Caswell's aluminum "Blacken-It"........It will be media blasted regardless before doing so. The back cover / plate will polished however!   The axle itself is titanium.   I'll share some comments with the pics below for info/clarification.   Cheers to ALL!   tim

These 1:1 reference pics show the rear in the Mopar Missile "Wire" Car.  They had titanium axles and driveshaft components along with their magnesium rear end.   Pretty much what I'm trying to replicate. 

Daves PIcs USB KEY 2 12403

Daves PIcs USB KEY 2 12412

This is a pic of a "Henry's Axle Company rear end, they made the famous Ramcharger rear ends.....a lot of ribbing throughout.  I was VERY fortunate to find a dozen great reference pics of it on an ebay sale and I printed them out.........now if you search for them,  ebay says they can't find them.......I guess they delete their files after a given period of time. 

Daves PIcs USB KEY 2 12401

DSC 0065

these pics show it mock-ed up.  Again, ribs and some other details during final assembly have to be finessed but it should be pretty close to the real deal.  If its as cool as I hope, I'm going to open up the trunk and possibly the doors on the body to show it off along with more of the chassis.  you'll note the little "wings/ribs" with a hole drilled in the center standing on end, you can see 2 of them in place in some of the pics even though they're not glued in permanently yet.  The bolts are for the 4 carrier bolts internally as an fyi.   cheers

DSC 0034

DSC 0036

DSC 0037

DSC 0041

DSC 0047

DSC 0063