Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maverick Pro Stock/Match Racer

Codi

Claude  & Chris - thanks to each of you! Chassis planning yet more details soon.

Josh - thanks sir.  I hope you like the rest of it.  I have some good things coming on the chassis I believe. 

Joe - Joe - Joe -  (couldn't help myself) appreciate the sentiment, Francis is a heck of a builder/fabricator.   cheers to all , tim

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone......a bit of an update.  I took a detour on the build and bought 2 (an AMT & an MPC) Mustang 2 model kits as a possible replacement for the Maverick body.  That followed a ton more digging and research on what chassis I wanted to do.  Don Hardy is the one I want to get closest to.  Anyways, the Mustang kits came with warped bodies that I thought I could remedy.  Researched our forum and followed the advice of others that had success. For me, not so much.  So I'm sticking with the Maverick but the specific year I'm looking at is 1974.  More on why later.

Wheels, I have a beautiful set of aluminum Fentons that are drilled etc. and ready to go.........except I've become enamored with the Motorwheel "Fly" wheels. The wheel was discontinued in 74' when they got out of the business.  The real fronts were magnesium but the rear Fly's were aluminum only.  They did make the well known Spyder wheel and it was available in mag.  I researched some pics and websites and drew them up so I could machine them.  I'll do an entire set of 4 but I'm sharing the fronts which are done (except for the bearing caps, lug nuts & air valves)  The rears I hope to complete in the next several days.  To my eye they are just that little bit more contemporary for the car as I originally envisioned it.  I'll post pics when all 4 are done soon and do a mock-up with the body for reference.  The pics you see today have the Fenton rear mags in them but the Fly is on the front.    Cheers, Tim

DSC 0179

DSC 0185

DSC 0197

DSC 0199

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Codi said:

Hi everyone......a bit of an update.  I took a detour on the build and bought 2 (an AMT & an MPC) Mustang 2 model kits as a possible replacement for the Maverick body.  That followed a ton more digging and research on what chassis I wanted to do.  Don Hardy is the one I want to get closest to.  Anyways, the Mustang kits came with warped bodies that I thought I could remedy.  Researched our forum and followed the advice of others that had success. For me, not so much.  So I'm sticking with the Maverick but the specific year I'm looking at is 1974.  More on why later.

Wheels, I have a beautiful set of aluminum Fentons that are drilled etc. and ready to go.........except I've become enamored with the Motorwheel "Fly" wheels. The wheel was discontinued in 74' when they got out of the business.  The real fronts were magnesium but the rear Fly's were aluminum only.  They did make the well known Spyder wheel and it was available in mag.  I researched some pics and websites and drew them up so I could machine them.  I'll do an entire set of 4 but I'm sharing the fronts which are done (except for the bearing caps, lug nuts & air valves)  The rears I hope to complete in the next several days.  To my eye they are just that little bit more contemporary for the car as I originally envisioned it.  I'll post pics when all 4 are done soon and do a mock-up with the body for reference.  The pics you see today have the Fenton rear mags in them but the Fly is on the front.    Cheers, Tim

DSC 0179

DSC 0185

DSC 0197

DSC 0199

Looking good.

Motorwheel also had a wheel called "Flea" so they had Spyder, Fly and Flea.

Dave (comp1839) - Thanks sir.  It's been so long since I made wheels that I had to back to the notes you shared a few years ago with me on some basics when I made the wheels for the Bantam.  Each is a 3 piece construction.  Again, many thanks! 

Thank you Marcus.

Dave (goatguy) I agree on the Maverick body comment completely.  I'm not looking back on it now.....sometimes I just get sidetracked. 🙂

Thanks Hakan.......I forgot about the Flea.....too bad they got out of the business. 

Francis, do it man......I'd love to see what you can do one after seeing all your previous work. It'd be a treat for all of us on the forum.

Pete J. - Flattered you'd ask. Let me ponder for a day and get back to you this weekend.  I'll send a PM.  

Dave Willy - saw your post as I'm typing this and LOVE that pic you shared.  Lucky man to drive that!   Thanks again for the comments too. 

Today I did 1 of the rears spokes.  The rim is not right but was one I had in the parts bin.  The rims they provided were of 2 designs. One being smooth from the lip all the way back to the spokes.  The 2nd one, and more common in the photos I've come across, is a stepped design.  Subtle looking but a few extra steps to get the look.  I couldn't help myself and took a couple pics with the car mocked up with the rear along with the front.   I do like these better than the Fentons to be honest.   Cheers to all!   tim

DSC 0215

DSC 0221

Well it looks like I'm in the minority, I really like the Mustang II as a racecar, I guess because I use to own one. That being said the Maverick looks great and the Fly's really suit the car, giving it a more purposeful look. Great choice!

Edited by Ian McLaren

Dave, you saying I'm all thumbs?  😅

Thanks Joe....again, bench time has been limited but I'm still pluggin' away.  

Thanks too Ian.......if either of those body's hadn't been so badly warped I would have been seriously challenged to go with it.  The AMT was more stock looking and accurate in some important regards but it would have taken more work to modify it to work. The rear window was separate from the body which I really liked too......more to show.

Appreciated Jason........nice to see you poppin' in and checking out the build.  

Here's the set of 4.  Adding the valve stems tomorrow, have lug nuts on the way (for the fronts only btw)  and I have to machine a pair of the front bearing caps.  Couple hours and onto the chassis......cheers to all!   Tim

DSC 0225

DSC 0233

DSC 0229

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,  well I had to take a "pause" on the build as I just couldn't see for the most part.  Had my second cataract surgery yesterday and already I'm just about 100%.   Other than having to change some of the light bulbs/lighting in the house back to something "normal" I should be at the bench in a week.   Amazing what they can do anymore with lasers and such.  Cheers to all and thank you for following the build.    Tm