Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maverick Pro Stock/Match Racer

Codi

On 7/23/2021 at 6:29 AM, Codi said:

Amazing what they can do anymore with lasers and such.

Yes, they really can make magic, the same way you can find a perfectly machined part of aluminum or brass from a simple raw rod.  A little break is often welcome and summer is the best time for that...  The fall will certainly be prolific, I'm sure! 😁

Glad to hear your surgery went well and you'll be back to this beauty of a build. I like the Maverick over the Mustang II bodies so I'm glad you stayed with the Maverick. Still sitting in the front row and my popcorn is getting low.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, 2 1/2 weeks into the post op.  All good and I appreciate you're asking.  What a difference is all I can say.

Charlie, too funny on the one score.  I had Lasik 21 years ago and got lucky then and this turned out as well as I could imagine/hope for.  Thanks again, Tim

Bob, thank you as well.  I just always liked the Maverick body style.  I envy the fact you actually owned one and I'm willing to bet you'd like to have it back.  cheers, tim

The past week I got back to the bench finally.  I machined some mild steel brake discs for the car and machined the front hubs out of titanium.  They're heat stained btw.  I have included a pic of the infamous Mopar Missile "wire car" front hub as a reference.  That particular car has a fascinating history even though it never raced in Pro Stock as it was intended / built for.  I'm either going to do the rear hubs in titanium too or might go a different direction of a Gapp & Roush hub I like.  Anyways, back at it and it feels oh so good doing so.  Cheers again to each and every one of you!!  tim

DSC 0665

DSC 0674

DSC 0677

If I told anyone how much time I spent to get just these parts done............well, nevermind......I won't admit it.

DSC 0681

If I told anyone how much time I spent to get just these parts done............well, nevermind......I won't admit it.

I was going to ask where you got the titanium, but I won't ask.....I'm sure I couldn't afford it. 

Hi Mike, for the Ti, I mostly use On-line metals for what I use.  They cut to length, have a great ranges of sizes and metal grades and ship very quickly.  Because of the small diameter sizes I'm using most of the time, the price for Ti isn't nearly as bad as you might think.  You can also find odd sizes (metric) on line at ebay / amazon........even some at 4" in length.  It's working with it that takes a bit of patience.  It work hardens fairly quickly and can destroy tools almost instantly. Low speeds & feeds (which ones I've discovered by researching and experimenting with) proper cutting fluid helps tremendously too and finally carbide tools, not HSS.  Hope this helps to answer your question and for others that might want to try it out too.  cheers, tim

Good morning Bill,  Well now, you have a rare car there so you had best figure a build slot for it and get her done.  JoHan's were pretty nice cars.   cheers

Fernandez, thanks sir.  Lots of detail work to add yet but it's something after such a long lay off.   Start small as they say. (no pun intended)  cheers, tim

Tim.... that is absolutely some incredible work my friend. I would definitely be curious on how many hours you have into these Bad Boys. I Know the time adds up for sure. I have a bunch of hours into my machined pulley for my 392. Doesn't help when you have to remake one 4 or 5 times... 🤣 I had to learn the hard way. Your work is always stunning and it blows my mind for sure. Keep up the awesome work. Cheers!

Hey Tim,

So glad the eyes are good !!!   

Been catching up on this one... first off, that rear end is just gorgeous. Loved how you broke it all down to create it. Truly inspiring.

Then you went an machined those killer wheels !!   Looking forward to more progress on those cool hubs. 

Have to go back and drool some more.

Thanks for the updates my friend ,

Randy

Francis, thanks man.  Made some more headway the last couple days, hope to have a few more bits and pieces to post soon. 

Thanks too Dave!  After I get the rear hubs done then I can get to the calipers & their brackets done.  Then onto the brass chassis.

Appreciated Chris.........time to get that new thread started here.  hint-hint............

Randy, I just stumbled across your latest updates on your Birdcage.......talk about inspiring.  For those that haven't seen Randy's scratch-built masterpiece be sure to check it out under the LSR category just below the Drag category.  Thanks too Randy! 

Ian, totally agree.  It brought back new enthusiasm to the hobby for me.  I still can't get over the difference now.  And thank you!

Charlie, not sure what I could possibly teach you but as I've commented, the forum is "rich" with scratch-builders right now and we're all the better for it.   Some real talent all over the place.      CHEERS TO ONE AND ALL!  tim

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bob.......sadly, it never left my bench.....just me for a bit.  

I have gotten some minor things done on the hubs/brakes etc.  The front Fly wheels needed bearing caps so I turned those down........the hubs now have their rotors finished.  Everything you see is only mocked-up and not secured yet.  All 4 steel brakes discs rest upon a machined titanium "spacer".....I neglected to heat stain those 4 pieces prior to taking the pics and future pics will be correct.  The calipers and their support brackets are next.  I'm going to use the drawings I used for the Bantam rear brakes and draw up some small Airheart/Hurst calipers for the fronts.  I'm going to attempt to machine the calipers in aluminum instead of Renshape but the details are so small, I'm not sure I can pull that off.  Renshape will be my back-up plan.  The brackets themselves, like the hubs will be titanium. 

Neither the front nor rear wheels will be removable.  I'm detailing the wheels with tire valves and some perfect T2M lug nuts I came across instead.    cheers, tim

DSC 0001 (1)

DSC 0004 (1)

DSC 0007 (1)

I'm pretty thrilled with how the brake disc lines up just inside the outer portion of the tire even though this pic deceives in where it truly is.  The actual Pro Stocks lined up exactly the same and the caliper overhang will only be the back half of the caliper outside the tire itself.   Hope that makes some sense. 

DSC 0016 (1)

DSC 0018 (3)

DSC 0023 (1)

DSC 0028 (1)