Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maverick Pro Stock/Match Racer

Codi

Thank you Chris.  I DO enjoy the 935 build of yours right now as well.  

Daniel, I appreciate the sentiments.  Hope you continue to follow and enjoy the rest of the build. 

Brian, glad you took the time to view and comment on the build.  cheers

Francis & Fernandez - Thank you both too gentlemen. 

After fussing around I got one side of one of the front disc brake calipers done.  Outboard side and one more to match then onto the 2 inboard sides which are a bit different and more challenging than this little bugger.  Didn't snap off one end mill either. YEAH.  the fins are cut in using a .010" (.27mm) end mill.  The dimensions are 4.0 x 3.0 x 1.4mm    Some days on the mill are better than others.....to mill this the machine was REALLY dialed in today.  Not always the case I assure you.....cheers, tim

DSC 0002

DSC 0003

Fantastic precision work (as usual) Tim, the brake calipers will be nothing less than jewels!  I have a couple of these 0.010" end mill and it's always very intimidating to work with them, as you say so well, they can last a very long time or break on the first cut.  Yours did quite a job...! 👍

19 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Fantastic precision work (as usual) Tim, the brake calipers will be nothing less than jewels!  I have a couple of these 0.010" end mill and it's always very intimidating to work with them, as you say so well, they can last a very long time or break on the first cut.  Yours did quite a job...! 👍

I am curious regarding depth of cut, with these end mills. As I recall,  Sherline suggests half the diameter of the mill. I have been using my mill, more frequently than before. Thanks to you and Tim, I am slowly spreading my wings, on it.

Good morning Francis, you sure are right about that.......I don't mind losing one from time to time, I've had 2 in a row go "poof"......adjusted speed & feed and then good to go.   The "fins" themselves are .15mm in thickness...........

Daniel, this will surprise you perhaps but the length of cut on this particular end mill is only .85mm overall.  I came in on the piece from the end of course after dropping it down to the max length of .85.  Ran the speed to 10,000 rpm (the max my machine will spin) and then s-l-o-w-l-y worked it in to the piece.  Each cut was 1.5mm in length.  I would back out  (SLOWLY ) the end mill when I got about half way into each cut, cleaned off the end mill and the slot (I use a soft, narrow bristle brush) and then finished the cut.  It's important to back the end mill out slowly as it can easily snap on the way out if there are cuttings in the slot. I DO use an air vacum to pull shavings away from the piece as I'm milling too.  Helps to clean it out of the way of the end mill and keeps the workplace a bit cleaner.  I learned that little tip from Dave (comp1839)   Hope this helps you in some way.    cheers, tim

38 minutes ago, Codi said:

Good morning Francis, you sure are right about that.......I don't mind losing one from time to time, I've had 2 in a row go "poof"......adjusted speed & feed and then good to go.   The "fins" themselves are .15mm in thickness...........

Daniel, this will surprise you perhaps but the length of cut on this particular end mill is only .85mm overall.  I came in on the piece from the end of course after dropping it down to the max length of .85.  Ran the speed to 10,000 rpm (the max my machine will spin) and then s-l-o-w-l-y worked it in to the piece.  Each cut was 1.5mm in length.  I would back out  (SLOWLY ) the end mill when I got about half way into each cut, cleaned off the end mill and the slot (I use a soft, narrow bristle brush) and then finished the cut.  It's important to back the end mill out slowly as it can easily snap on the way out if there are cuttings in the slot. I DO use an air vacum to pull shavings away from the piece as I'm milling too.  Helps to clean it out of the way of the end mill and keeps the workplace a bit cleaner.  I learned that little tip from Dave (comp1839)   Hope this helps you in some way.    cheers, tim

Thank you, so much! It will prove to be very helpful,  at some point. It will get some work in with the. 032" mills I have, first, them, I will graduate myself to the smaller ones. Your work (as is Francis') is ultra-inspirational.

Hello Ian, Ray, Dave & Charlie........I want to say thanks first of all for the sentiments. I DO follow your works as well even if I don't post as often as I used to.  Would like to see Dave re-visit the bench and finish his last dragster project.....hint-hint.  Again, thanks! 

The front brakes are done.  Onto the rears in between helping my 12 year old daughter work on her Science Fair project........she IS ambitious I'll say that much.   Once the rear brakes are done, I'm going onto the frame.  I have most of what I need to get really going on it now.  I must machine the front spindles, fab the shocks front and back assemble & fabricate bits and pieces on the Lenco ( I received a BEAUTIFUL 3D rendered 4 speed Lenco from a friend that will impress when you see it.  It's the best Lenco I've sever seen  and the material is something else)  a myriad of other small bits and pieces and this build should be finished by NEXT Fall......yes, I admit I'm slowing down.   CHEERS!  Tim

2 pics of the front calipers I attempted to replicate. 

DSC 0002 (1)

DSC 0004 (2)

DSC 0006

DSC 0010

btw, their 3.1mm in width...............the actual was 2.8" (2.8mm)   I don't think you'll notice though.  

DSC 0011

DSC 0015

DSC 0018

DSC 0030

Brad, nice to hear from you man..........thank you too for the sentiments (and giggle)  

Davewilly - Don't know about art but I admit I was pleased with how these turned out.  The rears should be better I think. Thanks!

Robert, sorry, seems the car manufacturers are out of brake pads too......so I won't be adding those.   😀

Dave (comp1839) I admit, they're a bit "snug".  Taking bunches of pictures for a future build album.  You won't see most of them when it's assembled unfortunately.   Always appreciate your stopping by the build to check it out.  cheers

Ian, hey man, don't be giving ideas to others....makes it more difficult to hide my mistakes.   All kidding aside, thank you very much!

Francis, I don't know about them being the "best" but I think they're pretty good.  I admit to one and all that it took me about 12 to 15 hours just to machine them.  Add the time spent doing research & drawing em' up and it's a safe bet that I've got more than 25 hours into them total.  I'm not telling you anything you don't know. I know you spend similar efforts in your builds as well.  Thanks!

Chris, thank you dude.  Hope to get caught up with you soon and get updates on your latest efforts since we last spoke. 

Cheers to all! 

As mentioned above, I started the rear calipers.  They are larger with a bit more detail in them (more tiny "fins" too).  Got thru the first one and when backing out the end mill on the last cut it snapped the tool.  I got 5 caliper sides done before snapping one, I consider that a win.   These pics are of the outer side of the calipers.  After cutting them off I'll get on to the more complicated inside half.  It takes about 2 1/2 hours to machine 1 as an fyi.  Requires a bunch of patience for an older guy like myself.   Cheers, Tim

DSC 0035 (1)

DSC 0038 (1)

AJ, I hope when I'm done with these your jaw hurts for a week.........🙂   Seriously, thanks for the comment.

Dave, LOVE that wheels up stance.  When done I'm hoping this build looks that cool.   cheers!

Mike, you win the internet for the day.  Almost blew my morning coffee out my nose.  Thanks for the laugh!  

Andy, thanks for stopping by too and for the sentiments.  Regarding fluid on this tiny piece, the endmill is a Kyocera 4 flute.  I couldn't get a 2 flute like I wanted in the extended length in this small diameter. I always use oil when drilling with tiny bits or machining harder metals (steel or Ti).    Liquid/fluid of any sort that causes any particles to be trapped or adhere in the flutes would be an issue. This thing is so small you can't even see the flutes.  The life expectancy of a tiny mill like this IS limited.  It cost me $20. btw. Considering I got 5 hours running it before snapping, I'm okay with it.  I did make one adjustment however that I should share, that being instead of backing it out half way during each cut of the fin, I started backing it out twice (third of the way).  I should be good from here on.   Thanks again for the comment & suggestion.    Cheers to everyone,  tim