Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maverick Pro Stock/Match Racer

Codi

It is fun to see progress on this build.  All these miniature detail parts are amazing! 

The top portion with the curved plenums look to be hose clamped onto a fuel injection manifold.  Are you planning the same thing for your big block?  Will your little hose clamps work?

Keep it up! 

Thank you one and all for your continued following and comments.   I had to start the top portion over as when I attempted to cut it off.........well, let's just say it didn't work out too well.  So I decked the piece and started it again.  I have a different plan to seperate the top portion of the plate and I'm hopeful it works this time.   

Jose, I'm not going to use / copy the clamp thing that they did on the runners. I found a different design  that I want to replicate to join this top portion to the bottom.  Please be patient, I'll have more to post soon!   

Cheers, tim

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tim......its been awhile since I have checked in......but,I gotta tell ya this Maverick is Golden.....simply the best......you know that old saying  "When I grow up,I wanna be like Tim"......that's the Truth!!!!!.......you inspire me so much Brother.

I checked in again just to be amazed. The A arms are stunning. The carbs....breathtaking. If I remember you're using a Sherline. I'd love to see more pictures of your set ups to help me learn about my set up. You've already shown me the possibilities.

Francis, thanks man.  I didn't give up on it and made some progress.  Pics below. 

Randy D........for those that are not checking out Randy's progress on the Lotus bodywork, well be sure to check out his recent post under "straightliners" etc.............and thanks for continuing to follow my progress Randy.  cheers

John, thank you as always. I have always admired YOUR builds.  ALL of them!   cheers

Thanks Chris!

Mike, I took time to take pics during this next portion, explanations to accompany too.  hope some of it helps.  tim

Hakan, yeah, I'm an odd one.  I've gotten more patient as I've gotten older.  Progress comes slowly but I'm happy with where the build is going.  Hope you like it and continue to follow along!  cheers, tim

Sorry it's been a while and even though I've made progress on the new manifold I've still a ways to go. Actually the "trickiest" part to machine is the bottom portion of the manifold.......but that's another day.  Here's a bunch of pics and some comments for others that are machinists or learning as Mike (iBorg) asked for more insights.  Sorry to bore those that aren't interested in those details.  Cheers, tim         first pics of the top portion of the new plenum (parted off, yeah!)  the 2nd pic shows to the top and bottom portions in the tweezers.

DSC 0054 (1)

DSC 0056

the bottom portions of the plenum are made from steel as is the rest. I had to start with 3/16" 12L14 steel rod and used a corner rounder to shape each end first. 

DSC 0050 (2)

after making a pair of them I used a ball mill to cut in a trough to secure the "torpedoes" so I could cut em' in half and drill the necessary holes in them.   They're secured in the trough with loctite glue and the brass "ram" I used is to press the piece into the trough so it's completely level after filling the trough with glue.  This is more than sufficient to secure the pieces while milling them down and drilling the holes.   The end mill pic included is a carbide 5 flute for steel & titanium.  the nozzle in the pic next pic is my shop vac to suck up debris and oil as I go.

DSC 0066 (1)

DSC 0069 (1)

DSC 0071 (2)

the torpedo milled in half with the drilled holes

DSC 0075 (1)

i took a pic of the small bottle i bought at hobbylobby that I use to apply the necessary oil when machining steel & titanium

DSC 0072 (2)

when done to remove the part I soak the part for a few minutes in acetone.....then I was off the acetone with water and use a small torch to remove it from the base.  

DSC 0076 (2)

this pic shows the lower portion of the plenum held up against the upper part

DSC 0060 (2)

DSC 0065 (3)

I then took the twin half moon plenums and cut them at 22 degrees by inverting my rotary table to be the angle I sought per the original pics of the manifold I'm sort of replicating. 

DSC 0092 (2)

DSC 0093 (1)

the .6 s/steel tubing seen in the pics will be used to detail the upper portions of the manifold btw.

DSC 0097 (1)

• 2 weeks later...

Many many thanks Gentlemen for the posts........I'll respond to each of you when I get a bit more time.  I wrapped up the lower portion of the new manifold and took some shots of the bits and pieces that have to be detailed and assembled.  I'm pleased with how it turned out........although I will share that I spent more than 20 hours machining the bottom portion this week.  It's 12L14 mild steel which takes me longer to machine BUT the contrast in the metal color to the aluminum engine block/heads and valve covers was well worth it.  I'm glad I took the time to pursue this new manifold design and I think it is VERY close to the 1:1 pic I shared earlier. I'm estimating another 10 hours or so of detailing & final assembly of the manifold & carbs.   Please remember, this is for the match racer set-up for this 70's era Pro Stock......so everything goes.  This manifold I would classify as an experimental......a few burrs and minor clean-up to do yet btw.   Cheers to all and HAPPY JULY 4th WEEKEND!   Enjoy your cookouts and time with friends and family.  Tim

New Mav Intake 7

New Mav Intake 10

New Mav Intake 13

New Mav Intake 16

New Mav Intake 17

• Like 2