Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maverick Pro Stock/Match Racer

Codi

On 10/17/2019 at 7:56 AM, Codi said:

I have many hours of time so far in research and have two  2 1/2" binders filled with pertinent info.  1 for the Hemi Colt and 1 for the Maverick.

Hey Tim, 

Where abouts did you find some of your Cold material? I have a resin Cilt body and I need a direction to go. I thought about utilizeing the chassis from a 'Fire Fighter' pro stock mustang.

Kurt - coming from a fellow machinist.........that's very high praise.  many thanks.

Chris, Ray, Wayne & Bob.....thanks so much too.....Dave (comp1839) has given me some more great info (dimensions) that give me the green light to do a bit more for this engine than originally intended.  Not going to share what just yet but as I make progress on each of the key pieces, I'll certainly share.  

Shawn - If you go back a page you'll see my reply to a similar question.  I think it will be  of some help to you.    Cheers, Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks John.  Patiently waiting on your next updates.   Working on the block and waterpump/cam cover as we speak.   I like the renderings and hopefully it'll transfer to metal.  Cheers

NYLIBUD, thanks but no thanks.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,  I got the block and water pump/cam cover drawn up and started machining the block.  I know that back in the day the blocks were cast aluminum but I wanted the look of alum so I'm machining it and will buff/polish and or media blast it for a proper look when done.  The block is about 2/3 done.  I have to add motor mount, freeze plug and oil housing detail among other odds and ends.  The lower portion of the block on the passenger side needs done next but the two sides are a bit different so getting this look right has been more challenging than the Donovan engine in the Bantam.   Took me the better part of a day just to machine the lower portion of the block you see below.  Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving.  Cheers, Tim

image.png.afdf4305c09a17e64cb6478c3dce8af5.png

image.thumb.png.e64a9ff233fd46a1048d7d1486fc638e.png

image.png.b412687534b1be1079660a78ee276224.png

Appreciate the sentiments you've shared Brad.  Still slow at what I do but still plugging away at this one. 

Dave, I couldn't machine a simple bracket plate for that motor.  I'll let you do the big boy stuff while I sit in the corner and play with my toys.   ?

Cheers !

Hey Pete, the finish was just dremel soft polishing wheel for metal & 0000 steel wool.  I agree, it does look pretty cool in person .   Thanks for checkin' in.

Hi Chris,  I have pics of the alum. block when they it nascar and they show it with a couple different options.  None were brass however.  I'll share more as I detail it for sure.  cheers

Bob, always appreciate the acknowledgements.  My plan is to display the engine on a stand (think a shop stand) with the engine being prepped for install.  Only oil lines run.........

Hakan,  I get that.........it's not for everyone, but it's something that I do enjoy even though it's a slow process for me.  I still believe I can have this build completed by September NEXT year.     Time will tell.     Cheers

On 12/16/2019 at 12:47 PM, Codi said:

Hey Pete, the finish was just dremel soft polishing wheel for metal & 0000 steel wool.  I agree, it does look pretty cool in person .   Thanks for checkin' in.

Hi Chris,  I have pics of the alum. block when they it nascar and they show it with a couple different options.  None were brass however.  I'll share more as I detail it for sure.  cheers

Bob, always appreciate the acknowledgements.  My plan is to display the engine on a stand (think a shop stand) with the engine being prepped for install.  Only oil lines run.........

Hakan,  I get that.........it's not for everyone, but it's something that I do enjoy even though it's a slow process for me.  I still believe I can have this build completed by September NEXT year.     Time will tell.     Cheers

The Boss 429 is a High Performance engine and Ford used screw in plugs that looks pretty much like large pipe plugs on most of their Hi-Perf engine blocks and not the regular press in style...they the use screw in type plug mostly for strength and other engines that uses this type of plugs are the FE 427, the Boss 302 and the 429CJ/SCJ and they also have four bolt or cross bolt main caps.
Most of the other Ford engines has regular freeze plugs or core plugs as the also are known as and they are there to seal the holes needed to get the sand from the casting process out of the inside of the block and not so much for help to prevent cracks if the coolant freezes...so core plug is a more accurate name for them.

Tim, I might have done if I had the skills and machines...but I don't.;)

Edited by Force

Thank you Niko & Hakan for posting both your comments and insights.  Sorry for the mixed order of pics I'm sharing.  The 1st pic is of the rear motor plate and block "flanges" as I call them along with the machined oil filter housing.  I'll mill a bit off the front of the drivers side to mimic the actual block and you'll  see some further detail later.  More pics below.

image.png.f54d32c2f1de0e747b30f9042dec133b.png

The next 2 pics show an actual alum. 494 block with the screw in freeze plugs.  I'll be doing all 6 in the style of the one circled.

image.png.1c9a0a4154735be013088aa2fc187f71.png

This pic is the crank/flywheel flange.

image.png.398abdcab6a544593349872e6e02494a.png

image.png.ab5149a2a9dd66721b30988da3527204.png

This pic shows the drawing for the crank damper that I machined in 2 pieces.  I couldn't post the pic (file is still to big) of the completed unit but the smaller piece fits inside the larger one as an fyi.  The diameter of the finished damper is 6.6mm.

image.png.8d6323ca97463f097ae89aeaf0d07e09.png

image.png.73ce8c2e86359b38208f3ff8bce18ab7.png

To those that celebrate it, MERRY CHRISTMAS and to everyone else a HAPPY HOLIDAYS!    May the season bring the best it has to offer to each and everyone!   Tim

This is bringing the hobby to the highest level. I can not get over the ability to create in scale!!! Clay Kemp and John Teresi are in my opinion, the top 2 builders and now we have 3!!!

AMAZING, .... JUST AMAZING!!

Merry HO HO to everyone!!