Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maverick Pro Stock/Match Racer

Codi

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !!  Took some time away from the bench and now it's back at it.  I'd like to acknowledge and reply to some of the recent comments/replies. 

Dave (comp1839) Yeah, I thought about doing the heads too right away but one of the challenging parts I've attempted to make is up next. The water pump / gear cover.  You'll understand in a week or so when I post pics of it (if it goes well of course)  The fab list is pump, then the dry sump pan & pump, then the heads, manifold and the Dominators.  Saw the most recent posts of your car and what you're doing on it......NICE is all I can say.  

Lorne, thank you for checking it out and the sentiment.  Those are some fantastic builders you've referenced and I'm sincerely flattered.   Hope you like the rest of this one.

Jason & Ron.......thank you too for noting the cars progress. 

Joe, I replied to your PM.  Thanks for checking out my Maverick and I'll certainly be following yours.  

The dry sump setup for a Boss 429 would be a nice thing to be able to get as the NASCAR cars used it back in the day, I don't know if anyone has made one because I don't think I have seen any on the aftermarket.
They used a dry sump setup on the FE 427's in the GT40 Mk II and Mk IV too, slightly different to fit the FE but very similar to the one used on the Boss.

Hi Hakan, agreed...I've got pics of the Holman Moody nascar pan / setup but I fortunately came across the actual pan/setup for the Boss 494 Can-Am engine which was pretty cool.  The engine will have the required water pump / fan as per Pro Stock regs in the day but it will also have the unique Can-Am dry sump.  I think you're gonna like it.  cheers

Hello Tim and Happy New Year to you and your family!

Thanks for visiting my thread and for your very kind comments, they are like a blessing to me!

I'm new on board and pretty exited by all the activities going on by all the enthousiasts around. I mentionned your name in my presentation but you have no idea how impress I am by all the stuff you have done so far. I consider myself as a good builder but you put the bar at a level rarely seen and I also learn a lot by just looking at your builts! Sorry to be a bit late on your current build but I will keep looking at this one closely since this is exactly in my tastes. Can't wait to see the updates on the engine. The D100 I'm building will also receive an all aluminum and brass machined drivetrain, we may be able to share some tips!

Cheers, Francis

Thank you fellas.......

Dave, I'll post some pics the next time I post.  I apologize for the big delay in replying to your question as I just saw your post.   cheers

Started finally machining the gear cover/ water pump.  With no blueprints to work from I did a ton of research and got a little creative in getting some really good numbers on the piece so I could draw it up.  DAVE, no laughing at my drawing, I know it's a mess and you must be shaking your head compared to yours.....I'm posting just 1 pic of the many drawings I had to do to get to this point.  I will part off this piece with a slit saw into 3 different pieces.  Next I have to make the water pump impeller housing and what I call the fan "snout".   Overall length of the entire piece will be less than 8.0mm.  It's a fraction of the size of a postage stamp.   Not quite 11.0mm tall and 12.00 mm wide.  20 holes in total.  The So far it matches the drawing fairly well so I'm hopeful that I can finish the entire unit sometime next week.  cheers, tim

I forgot to mention that all the holes will have Albion alum tube inserted & T2M bolts dropped inside each.   Many/most of the holes on the perimeter are cut on the edge so the tube will stick up above the edge of the housing.........it will mimic the real unit by doing so.  You can see in the drawing below for example holes 8 & 9 how they're past the edge of the cut line.   It'll make more sense when it's parted off and assembled.  

image.png.627d614e3e18949dd1f030d3b880d8df.png

image.png.2bad0775e70b028365ee729001c5991e.pngimage.png.305b2fe3ef75f28749e6a0081ef20aa9.png

Edited by Codi

Thanks Bruce, I know you enjoyed the bantam......I'm doing my best to make this one unique in its own right.

Also appreciated Francis, I'm certainly enjoying your new threads as well.

Thanks Dave, I know they aren't pretty but they do work for me.  I've included a pic of the Can-Am dry sump system.  Got to figure out where some of the fittings/lines lead off to but I have some other pics that I think answer those questions.  Cool looking though and I know you can appreciate the pic.  

Got the gear cover/ water pump done except for the final detailing.  I'll do that next.  There are 5 separate pieces that make it up.  The pump "snout" is 2.8mm tall as an aside. The penny gives some comparison.  I'm tickled with it and it should really add to the overall engine when it's complete.   Cheers, Tim

image.png.702cac3554a1f8a6c8ab68b3975f5d0d.png

image.png.c39fd2af9b62ce088fd1df3d9d16bd1b.png

image.png.1374758e88e9b31c43824927cc6b7669.png

image.png.8869a1c080b86c28cec61972f8f9cc63.png

image.png.2b9aeed7d9f5caa8da8b82650bcc6bca.png

Mark, I'm surprised you have to ask me.  I was one of the people to have answered your questions from 3 days ago about what recommendations there are as to what mill to buy.  Others responded as well.  Why are you still asking the question?  Please don't answer me as it was rhetorical.    Let alone the fact my pic's show SHERLINE stamped all over the equipment.   Sherlock you're not.  Tim

Tim.... This is absolutely Incredible. You blow my mind every time my friend. Man your work is Gorgeous. You have some serious talents. I only hope I can machine parts like you some day. Your work is inspiring for sure. Looking forward to what you surprise us with next. Cheers!!

Chris, come on man, hope you get back to posting something soon.  If Randy D. can do it, so can you.   ?  And thanks too for the compliment.

Dave, I think you'll like these.......

Pump is done other than making the extension for the fuel pump.  You'll see a hole drilled on the bottom side of the piece where that will be attached.

image.png.6e9530052c85e602e8391a9d26cefc34.png

image.png.aae5acf97834bfc77c1c840d4337e930.png

The round portion with the 8 ribs is only temporarily attached as an fyi.   The bottom half will butt up against the oil pan. 

image.png.40ca2b1b037b6bf0c65f8f250bbdfc3e.png

The last 2 pics I have it laying on the block as a reference........after taking the pics I realized I have the block upside down......duh!!   In the next pic you can clearly see the hold for the fuel pump extension I have to make yet.

image.png.8744febd8f844f863b9284d7b7b3aa01.png

image.png.4393abc1cc221853fba7994517b835c1.png