Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maverick Pro Stock/Match Racer

Codi

Hey there Brad, appreciated.......btw, what are YOU working on as of late?   Time for another altered perhaps?  

J.C. (AFX) thanks sir........the planning (research and coming up with the rendering) was the most time consuming part.  I've gotta be nuts the time I put into this little piece.  cheers

Tom (Brutalform) glad you came across the thread and hope you stop by again in the future.  

Francis, as you know all to well, the drawings / prep are everything, not counting the bolts and tubes, there are 5 different pieces making it up and I've still got to make the fuel pump extension.    Thanks too !!!

Dave....thanks man, you taught me most of what I know and I can't say how much that matters.   cheers!!!!

Daniel (Straightliner) time and practice will get you there.  I do admit you have to have some patience too.  My kids suffer because I use up my patience quota on the mill and have little left for them.   ?

On 1/12/2020 at 9:25 AM, Codi said:

Thank you fellas.......

Dave, I'll post some pics the next time I post.  I apologize for the big delay in replying to your question as I just saw your post.   cheers

Started finally machining the gear cover/ water pump.  With no blueprints to work from I did a ton of research and got a little creative in getting some really good numbers on the piece so I could draw it up.  DAVE, no laughing at my drawing, I know it's a mess and you must be shaking your head compared to yours.....I'm posting just 1 pic of the many drawings I had to do to get to this point.  I will part off this piece with a slit saw into 3 different pieces.  Next I have to make the water pump impeller housing and what I call the fan "snout".   Overall length of the entire piece will be less than 8.0mm.  It's a fraction of the size of a postage stamp.   Not quite 11.0mm tall and 12.00 mm wide.  20 holes in total.  The So far it matches the drawing fairly well so I'm hopeful that I can finish the entire unit sometime next week.  cheers, tim

I forgot to mention that all the holes will have Albion alum tube inserted & T2M bolts dropped inside each.   Many/most of the holes on the perimeter are cut on the edge so the tube will stick up above the edge of the housing.........it will mimic the real unit by doing so.  You can see in the drawing below for example holes 8 & 9 how they're past the edge of the cut line.   It'll make more sense when it's parted off and assembled.  

image.png.627d614e3e18949dd1f030d3b880d8df.png

image.png.2bad0775e70b028365ee729001c5991e.pngimage.png.305b2fe3ef75f28749e6a0081ef20aa9.png

Ok Tim, now that is interesting.  I have not seen anyone use a screw and a T-nut as a stop to keep the chuck from shifting on the rotary table under the stress of machining.  I assume that is the purpose.  If there are others uses for that technique I would like to know.  I love these little tidbits that I pick up on how you do your work.  Thanks 

Edited by Pete J.

4 hours ago, Codi said:

Hey there Brad, appreciated.......btw, what are YOU working on as of late?   Time for another altered perhaps? 

Currently working on a '69 Roadrunner stock car. Its in the 'On The Bench' section in case you want to follow along.

Edited by gasser59

Pete, ah, you caught that huh?    Pretty effective actually.  I had an end mill grab just a little too much one time and lets just say that it created a bit of "excitement" when it did.  Better safe than sorry right?  

Thanks for sharing Brad, I don't visit there much  but now I most certainly will.  cheers, tim

On 10/21/2019 at 7:36 PM, Codi said:

well Dave. 1 down, 1 to go.  Thanks again for the info you shared.  These things are complicated (at least for me) to figure out and machine.  Just got to part this one off but I'm going to get started right away on its twin before I forget what the heck I did.  ?

image.png.3b59f245e435e68cd001efd0b6d9fdde.pngI was intending on doing the experimental 16 plug heads Wayne Gap was developing but after getting the top part cut in, I didn't want to mess it up by adding more holes etc. to it.  I liked the singular plug look

Tim what parting tool did you use to separate the valve cover from the block of aluminum??

Thanks guys.  To answer the question about parting off,  I use a slit saw unless parting off round stock when I use my lathe.

Oil pan is done other than putting in the .4mm bolts.  You can see the holes drilled on the back half for the drain plug and the dry sump lines unfortunately.   Next up is a reasonable facsimile of the dry sump pump and the gears for it.   In the pics I'm holding everything together as nothing has been glued together as yet.   Cheers, tim

image.png.7bb90277b5f2ff33fe48891d3e23b295.png

image.png.69b59023a14806c0504411eaa88e25fe.png

image.png.116d6269597b580e113490df7b1a868f.png

image.png.10f2c488e405b442b932b1de7ba26632.png

Hello Tim, Great progress on the Boss engine block, the details so far and the finish is spotless! I'm not familiar with these Ford engine but they are nice and big... I love that!!!

Will be fantastic in the Maverick engine bay. Can't wait to see more magic from your hands!

By the way, I found some pics for the dry sump on internet but you might have already seen them?

https://www.talladegaspoilerregistry.com/2014/04/07/what-are-you-working-on-rick-and-kjell-team-up/

Cheers, Francis

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your previous posts & comments.  I'm almost done with the dry sump pump.....size of a pencil eraser with more than 45 components.  a day or 2 and I'll post pics.  Today I had the opportunity to meet a gentleman that had an original (he raced it) Boss 429 custom Holman Moody manifold with twin Autolite in-line 4 barrel carbs.  Took many pics and learned a LOT..........was also fortunate enough to get actual measurements which will help when I attempt to machine em'.   Out of deference to his privacy, I'll just repeat myself that he was a true gentleman and a huge help.  A real honor to have met him.  a few pics of the kit.  cheers, tim

image.png.9884202084972a148933461c69013617.png

image.png.73359846ebfd57e6d17dda119e6a2ad6.png

image.png.80073d21bb0e412020e0db2997c1a590.png

There is a good story about Ford trying to convince the SCCA that the inline carburetor was a regular production item as they wanted to use it in Trans-Am on the Mustang - their ruse didn't work and it was never approved by SCCA.

Edited by afx

Hey JC, I had read something along those lines earlier.  Chevy and Mopar protested their use in drag racing as they swore Ford had developed or was using some sort of fuel injection when they first appeared. 

Got the dry sump pump done.  It was a headache.  I know now what I'm in for when I attempt to make the carbs now.  In this piece there is a grand total of 58 pieces counting the bracket, pieces I machined and every last nut, bolt and washer.  Machined the gear itself out of steel for the contrast in color/look.  Got a few things to address on the block and then I'm onto the heads finally.   cheers, tim

image.png.dd094c23497cf5d90328d41654749930.png

image.png.58333454425b388ec6a5ac6c944af57d.png

image.png.7e5a1735bc6de6bceafacc861a5b3aba.png

image.png.1c9bf8e951969e2c303b4f23d7aac531.png

image.png.adfb3a6df60b723874cb52ad4cc92500.png

The gear itself is not affixed permanently as of yet.   I'll do that after the entire assembly is installed on the engine. 

image.png.395559339059c4722ed7de9e633e8657.png

image.png

Hi Tim, Glad to see you back!!!

This dry sump is totally amazing! Your ability to make such small parts with all those details will always amazed me! That's FANTASTIC!!!

The carbs setup you will attempt to make is very nice, rarely seen and intriguing and I can't wait to see your magic operate again... Very inspiring subject!

I do love these old Pro Stock so much.  Francis