Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
mopargreg

Anyone casting side mirrors for late 50s early 60s Forward Look Mopars?

Recommended Posts

Hi guys, 

I Wondering if anyone is casting side mirrors & antennas for Forward Look Mopars, (late 50s to early 60s Mopars). I know they are in the AMT 58 Plymouth kit but don’t want to buy the whole kit for a few small parts. Any help would be great. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody that I know of.

I have been hoping that possibly a really great resin caster like Joseph Osborn. (Fireball Modelworks) will at some point start offering a few nice mirrors.

Until then, I have been resorting to trying to make my own.

 

 

Steve

 

 

2v29iEpNWxwUbWP.jpg

2v2JBF2zFxwUbWP.jpg

2v29Vtwv2xwUbWP.jpg

2v29hKsHnxwUbWP.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is something that Greg Wann and I were just talking about last week and we will be working on some molds for those types of mirrors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did make a mirrors mold, but I don't really like what is coming out of it.  I need to remake the mold and add some mirrors to it. Mirrors are of course quite small and frail to make.  Sometimes certain ones break just trying to get them out of the mold.  This is why putting weight on a mold and putting it under pressure are important to get a good part out.  It is not always easy to do.  If I could do injection molding the process might be more accurate and consistent.

Edited by Greg Wann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Greg Wann said:

  If I could do injection molding the process might be more accurate and consistent.

Do you know if this is the type of casting that Fireball does?

I really appreciate your work on trying to work something out to bring us some mirrors, which I would be more than interested in.

I'm only curious.

It's obvious that Joseph could cast nearly anything successfully after getting a look at the detail on his carburetors! ^_^

 

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say more than a paltry few of us would love to grab some MOPAR mirrors, when they become available!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bucky said:

I'd say more than a paltry few of us would love to grab some MOPAR mirrors, when they become available!

They are definitely way over due!!

 

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2019 at 6:13 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Nobody that I know of.

I have been hoping that possibly a really great resin caster like Joseph Osborn. (Fireball Modelworks) will at some point start offering a few nice mirrors.

Until then, I have been resorting to trying to make my own.

 

 

Steve

 

 

2v29iEpNWxwUbWP.jpg

2v2JBF2zFxwUbWP.jpg

2v29Vtwv2xwUbWP.jpg

2v29hKsHnxwUbWP.jpg

WOW!!  These models are real beauty's .  Someone sent a pair of mirrors to me that look somewhat like the ones on the dark red car.  The red car has some nice mirrors.  If I had some specific Mopar mirrors I could make molds of them.  Adding a decent sized stem to insert into a hole in the body would be nice to have on a master.  Most antennas on sprues look pretty crappy especially when plated.  There are acupuncture needles that look like they would work great for police and other such vehicles in scale.  Some have a long spring at the base.  They are very sharp.  I did acupuncture for awhile so I borrowed a few.  They are somewhere in my shop.

Edited by Greg Wann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoever makes some (along with perhaps casting some Ford and GM mirrors so I don't have to raid kits,) I'd be interested in a bunch of each.

Charlie Larkin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2019 at 4:07 AM, charlie8575 said:

Whoever makes some (along with perhaps casting some Ford and GM mirrors so I don't have to raid kits,) I'd be interested in a bunch of each.

Charlie Larkin

Me Too!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...