Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone casting side mirrors for late 50s early 60s Forward Look Mopars?

I did make a mirrors mold, but I don't really like what is coming out of it.  I need to remake the mold and add some mirrors to it. Mirrors are of course quite small and frail to make.  Sometimes certain ones break just trying to get them out of the mold.  This is why putting weight on a mold and putting it under pressure are important to get a good part out.  It is not always easy to do.  If I could do injection molding the process might be more accurate and consistent.

Edited by Greg Wann

10 hours ago, Greg Wann said:

If I could do injection molding the process might be more accurate and consistent.

Do you know if this is the type of casting that Fireball does?

I really appreciate your work on trying to work something out to bring us some mirrors, which I would be more than interested in.

I'm only curious.

It's obvious that Joseph could cast nearly anything successfully after getting a look at the detail on his carburetors! ^_^

Steve

On 9/8/2019 at 6:13 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Nobody that I know of.

I have been hoping that possibly a really great resin caster like Joseph Osborn. (Fireball Modelworks) will at some point start offering a few nice mirrors.

Until then, I have been resorting to trying to make my own.

Steve

2v29iEpNWxwUbWP.jpg

2v2JBF2zFxwUbWP.jpg

2v29Vtwv2xwUbWP.jpg

2v29hKsHnxwUbWP.jpg

WOW!!  These models are real beauty's .  Someone sent a pair of mirrors to me that look somewhat like the ones on the dark red car.  The red car has some nice mirrors.  If I had some specific Mopar mirrors I could make molds of them.  Adding a decent sized stem to insert into a hole in the body would be nice to have on a master.  Most antennas on sprues look pretty crappy especially when plated.  There are acupuncture needles that look like they would work great for police and other such vehicles in scale.  Some have a long spring at the base.  They are very sharp.  I did acupuncture for awhile so I borrowed a few.  They are somewhere in my shop.

Edited by Greg Wann