Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell's Aerovette concept car

89AKurt

Since everyone is getting excited about Chevrolet finally producing a mid-engine Corvette, dragged this Aerovette out to take a look.  It was 1980 (39 years ago) when they ditched the wankel engine and put in a proper V8.  I like the design, including the Jalousie windows, and you can see some styling cues were carried into the production cars.

Revell produced this in 1998.  It's typical Revell quality, some flash, simplified parts, but what is most annoying is the folding box! ?DSC_0740_Fotor.thumb.jpg.4bb6ec13474eba83a994e7f0838315e6.jpg

But it does have the highway for display. ?
DSC_0741_Fotor.thumb.jpg.28057f732fe2e8ff670627877008b858.jpg

The usual amount of parts.
DSC_0737_Fotor.thumb.jpg.437ffdd024d32e01c7d4d057b4fca3c2.jpg

Turbine wheels, not really defined enough at first glance.
DSC_0739_Fotor.thumb.jpg.e0e84edd330fb0822d10b3edf00fc4af.jpg

Now this is what ticks me off about how Revell packaged their kits, I bought it sealed, figuring it could be somewhat collectible.  Read about "tire burn" in this forum, opened it up and sure enough. ? I don't want to spend a lot of time correcting or detailing this, just want to build Box Stock.  Would replacing the window with sheet plastic disqualify for such a contest class?  It would take a bunch of sanding and polishing to fix this, and cause distortion.
DSC_0738_Fotor.thumb.jpg.b0e9b56931e749c0b68d65bc4d4e5b70.jpg

Have the Bring Out Your Dead project to finish, before I dive into this.  Also thinking of painting copper, since I live in Arizona. ?

2 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Now this is what ticks me off about how Revell packaged their kits, I bought it sealed, figuring it could be somewhat collectible.  Read about "tire burn" in this forum, opened it up and sure enough. ? I don't want to spend a lot of time correcting or detailing this, just want to build Box Stock.  Would replacing the window with sheet plastic disqualify for such a contest class?  It would take a bunch of sanding and polishing to fix this, and cause distortion.
DSC_0738_Fotor.thumb.jpg.b0e9b56931e749c0b68d65bc4d4e5b70.jpg

Under IPMS rules, that wouldn't be allowed. Model Car World tends to be ruled by more local rules, which might be stricter or looser. 

That CAN be fixed, but as you said, it would take some time. 

Quoth the raven. (I did not intend to insert a quote here, but I can’t get rid of this stupid #@$&% box.

What you could do, Kurt, is find someone that has four or five of the Aerovette kits; someone who doesn’t intend to build any of them to ‘Box Stock’ standards; someone who would be willing to swap a pristine, virgin glass for yours; someone who might be willing to come up to Prescott for the swap meet in a couple of weeks & meet with you to make the exchange; someone like me.  ?. If you’re game.

17 hours ago, cobraman said:

Man how I hate those boxes.  I will be watching your progress here.

I know right?  They collapse when stacked too, just to be REALLY annoying.

16 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Under IPMS rules, that wouldn't be allowed. Model Car World tends to be ruled by more local rules, which might be stricter or looser. 

That CAN be fixed, but as you said, it would take some time. 

That's what I thought.

12 hours ago, Danno said:

What you could do, Kurt, is find someone that has four or five of the Aerovette kits; someone who doesn’t intend to build any of them to ‘Box Stock’ standards; someone who would be willing to swap a pristine, virgin glass for yours; someone who might be willing to come up to Prescott for the swap meet in a couple of weeks & meet with you to make the exchange; someone like me.  ?. If you’re game.

? I just had the same "quote" thing on another thread, finally was able to delete it, screw it.  Too bad Ron Mayer cancelled their Escape The Blaze, not enough people committed to it, they would casually say they were interested, but didn't pull the plug.  "Normal" people get the heck out of Feenicks and come up just because this is below broiling temperature in the mountains, and get in our way on the roads.  If you know someone, PM me. ?

21 hours ago, Superbird McMonte said:

I believe there was a 1/20th scale version of this kit also that came out much earlier, sometime in the 80s. I had that one and it was very clunky. I think I have this one too, I’ll have to look and see. I’d like to build it!

The larger scale one was by Lindberg in 1/18 scale. It had three releases during the late 70's & 1980. It was a pretty basic snap kit . The Revell kit is actually quite nice but I would recommend finding another set of tires, the kit comes with GSC's which were not available when the Aerovette was originally built. If we get a C8 kit we can only hope that it will be as good as the Revell Aerovette one.

On 9/8/2019 at 12:35 PM, Superbird McMonte said:

I believe there was a 1/20th scale version of this kit also that came out much earlier, sometime in the 80s. I had that one and it was very clunky. I think I have this one too, I’ll have to look and see. I’d like to build it!

Save that 1/20 kit, I'm sure it's much more collectible than this.

On 9/8/2019 at 2:36 PM, Danno said:

Kurt,

I’m guessing you may be shooting for Modelzona. (?)

I’ll send you a replacement for your glass.  

Hey, of course.  But Craig Hewitt IPMS is coming up.  Thank you!

16 hours ago, matthijsgrit said:

Nice project.

Have this one built as well, but you triggered me to rebuild it, possibly a bit custom... Saw one in a recent event photo too. Actually the car is very significant (again), since the C8.

Oh no! ?  Didn't "mean" to do that! ?  You remember any issues that I should take note of?

11 hours ago, Jantrix said:

I'm also a fan of this car. I've got the kit and I'm planning on building it, just not sure how just yet. The dated engine, is an issue.

? Yes, the engine should go into a Fat Fender hot rod. ?

7 hours ago, robertw said:

The larger scale one was by Lindberg in 1/18 scale. It had three releases during the late 70's & 1980. It was a pretty basic snap kit . The Revell kit is actually quite nice but I would recommend finding another set of tires, the kit comes with GSC's which were not available when the Aerovette was originally built. If we get a C8 kit we can only hope that it will be as good as the Revell Aerovette one.

Thanks for the input.  I would like to avoid the tires just because they reacted with the plastic, I have a military model that the tires literally have melted the wheels.

4 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Find a 3D printed 3 Rotor Wankle .... ;) 

Think someone on Shapeways has one, I know only because I've got the Mercedes C111 that's a future Bring Back Your Dead project.  It's a good idea, just not for me.

Anyone who built one, is welcome to post pictures here.  I might start a pool, bet when I actually start, and perhaps finish it. ?

3 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Save that 1/20 kit, I'm sure it's much more collectible than this.

Hey, of course.  But Craig Hewitt IPMS is coming up.  Thank you!

Oh no! ?  Didn't "mean" to do that! ?  You remember any issues that I should take note of?

? Yes, the engine should go into a Fat Fender hot rod. ?

Thanks for the input.  I would like to avoid the tires just because they reacted with the plastic, I have a military model that the tires literally have melted the wheels.

Think someone on Shapeways has one, I know only because I've got the Mercedes C111 that's a future Bring Back Your Dead project.  It's a good idea, just not for me.

Anyone who built one, is welcome to post pictures here.  I might start a pool, bet when I actually start, and perhaps finish it. ?

Ron Olson, who's site on Shapeways is 3D Model Specialties has two-, three-, and four rotor Wankels with various intake sets:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/4HYXEZRLR/rotary-20b-1-25?optionId=63196071

image.png.7cd08f3529edab01cffd07addb2ccd0e.png

I have purchased several of his pieces for various projects but nothing to show yet.  His stuff does look very good.  He did have a facebook page where people were posting their build with his stuff and it looked really good, but the page is gone now.  You can get a lot of his things in both 24th and 25th scale (and even larger).  I have the BBC transaxle (can you say CanAm?) in both scales and there really is a difference.

Ron just posted on his personal page that he's working on a Hellcat motor to fill a void from one of the resin casters.  Am guessing a few people will want one.

69645208_2250713401722182_6227079499704434688_o.thumb.jpg.e68f84044788744fdd615d2f5e8ef914.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2019 at 1:24 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

I think the Corvette 4 rotor Wankel was actually a couple of 2 rotor units stuck end to end, with the driveshaft coming out the middle.

During my research today, saw something about that engine.  Since I'm staying with Box Stock, and wish to finish this, not going there!

On 9/11/2019 at 5:59 AM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Looking forward to seeing this build.

I agree I hated those stupid donut box kits. Couldn't stack them and in a lot of cases the boxes weren't glued together well either.

Yep, don't stack well at all! ? The way they're folded together, with tabs that grab the lid when opening, horrible design.  In fact, the first thing I've done to commence construction, was cut the box!

I checked out some websites, found this AMCAR guide: Chevrolet Aerovette Concept a good start.  Notice the lack of door mirrors on the early version.  I see discrepancies in colors as instructions show, so will correct as needed.  I glued together sub-assemblies, have wet-sanded the body, will post pictures later.

On 9/8/2019 at 2:36 PM, Danno said:

[...]

I’ll send you a replacement for your glass.  

Received today!  THANK YOU! ?  That's why I started this project. 

Sub assemblies glued with regular Testors glue and Flex-i-file liquid cement.  This is a really simple kit!
DSC_0783.thumb.JPG.d2ced6b73d30af80b6946cad6dcf5766.JPG
DSC_0784.thumb.JPG.b27011a654009470c3d73489f58e9e8c.JPG

Filled sink holes with Squadron putty.
DSC_0785.thumb.JPG.0652ae9a3c68bf14d4692eee675bf2eb.JPG

Trying a variation of a technique I learned on this forum, before any paint, slop brushed flat black in jamb lines.  Very little scribing was needed first.
DSC_0786.thumb.JPG.f7fbdc1a33818607943ebbab022cc6df.JPG

Wet-sanded the body, quite a bit was needed at the louver things behind the window.  The way this is assembled, made it tricky, I had temporarily glued on the bumpers so I could make everything flush and fit right, then broke apart before painting.  Airbrushed Testors flat white for a primer.
DSC_0788.thumb.JPG.d189d7e1db6a52ccd6cc11a937502aae.JPG

Painted various other parts.  Gloss black for parts that would get Alclad, but I wanted the starter to be black instead of aluminum (seems like 95% is silver) for some contrast, is that wrong? ? Other parts flat black; found it interesting the instructions say "flat black" but don't show where on the chrome muffler, pictures show the 4 exhaust tips are black with no chrome tips!  Pictures also show engine compartment is flat black, not shown on instructions.  The inner wheels are Alclad polished aluminum, also painted the other side flat black because the wheel slots are open, something the instructions don't mention and I'm sure many builders would overlook.  Instructions also say the exhaust manifold is aluminum, pictures show flat black, so had to mask the Alclad stainless steel pipe using velum paper with a slot and hole to mask, to avoid using tape.  I even custom mixed aluminum and gold to spray just the carburetor.  I really hate brush painting  ?  But I hit a snag, the engine was painted Alclad flat aluminum over black, it shrank and pulled away from all inside corners, so need to remedy that. ?  Guess that paint can only be used on flat airplane panels.
DSC_0789.thumb.JPG.cacd6aaa4f6a4df7459904470b163d1d.JPG

So cool to have the internet for reference nowadays.  This You Tube video Aerovette -- Corvette Show Car shows the interior features, specifically the instruments.  It's amusing to see the high tech LED tach and speedometer "in the line of sight", and to see the other functions you need to look down on the counsel and push the right buttons.  I was wondering why there was not gauge decal.  Also discovered they left out the pedals, not even molded into the floor!  No windshield wipers either.

Painted the body this morning.  It was a last minute decision, I just didn't want to paint boring silver.  This is Sally Hansen - HARD AS NAILS XTREME WEAR nail color, Breezy Blue.  I'm now going to paint the chassis pan all flat black, instead of aluminum.  I didn't edit the photos, first under LED light, second outside.  I can *never* get a clean paint job, have some dust/lint to deal with. ?
DSC_0791.thumb.JPG.7e24fa51fc847e858f383ef4d8154b6c.JPG
DSC_0792.thumb.JPG.248c46e2d605af268cc17c4df6204f41.JPG