Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Ford flathead speed equipment

The REvell '40 Ford pick up kit has some finned aluminum heads and multy carb. set up.  Not sure how it would work since the old AMT '49  Mercury kit has the newer flat head engine but the kit has a great little aluminum head with three two's also. 

If you are also considering aftermarket flathead hop up parts, the Model Car Garage resin cast finned heads take pretty well to use on 1/24th scale engines:

https://www.modelcargarage.com/eshop/pc/showsearchresults.asp?pageStyle=P&resultCnt=&keyword=resin&submit=SEARCH

The center port parts are suitable for early flatheads, and the front port parts are better for later production flatheads (or for simulating one of those).

Edited by gman

Because the scale on the box isn't always the scale in the box.  I compared a flathead block from an Monogram Early Iron '36 Ford with one from a Revell '48 Ford Custom Coupe, and they're just about identical in size.   The Revell '48 has some vintage speed equipment, and it's one of the nicer scale flatheads to boot.

5 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

I just looked in my parts bins and found a 32 to 36? flathead with the water pumps on the heads that has finned heads and a 3 carb intake,it looks to be from a AMT kit and who knows what its from but it looks like I have the parts I need and did not know it.

Just an FYI on the Flat Head Ford engine. The water pumps are actually mounted to the lower front area of the engine block and almost always serve as engine mounts also. The radiator hoses going to the heads and attach to the thermostat housings.   

Hi Jeff,

you also have the option of Replicas and Miniatures flathead parts.

• centre port heads, thickstun head covers and Ardun conversion 
  • various intakes
  • air cleaners
  • Carburettors

check out pictures at Craigs Stansfield’s Fotki page  https://public.fotki.com/crstan/replican-and-miniat/replicas-and-miniat/

Tim Boyd has useful hints on his Fotki page at https://public.fotki.com/funman1712/tim-boyd-on-line-mo/tim-boyd-on-line-ho-8/hot-rod-hints-2/

The AMT 1934 Ford 5 window coupe kit# 8214 shown below also has speed equipment fitted to the 1934 Flathead

33281D14-8A4F-48C9-BDCC-13C268E752CE.jpeg.c6dfae2113063e8b130dcf0fef139340.jpeg

image.thumb.jpg.119c7406036b096985d084d9690748eb.jpg

Regards

Marty

Edited by 59 Buick
Additional information

2 hours ago, espo said:

Just an FYI on the Flat Head Ford engine. The water pumps are actually mounted to the lower front area of the engine block and almost always serve as engine mounts also. The radiator hoses going to the heads and attach to the thermostat housings.   

Just an FYI on Ford flathead engines...not all water pumps are mounted on the lower front edge of the block.

image.png.c6633db9e1544e8051e970c7ba6b0b76.png

There are also at least 4 designs (that I'm familiar with) that DO mount on the block. They have different mount configurations, so if accuracy is part of the equation, a little due-diligence during research is advisable...

image.png.7ef3a9321644294e70618da0c05f2220.png

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

5 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Just an FYI on Ford flathead engines...not all water pumps are mounted on the lower front edge of the block.

image.png.c6633db9e1544e8051e970c7ba6b0b76.png

This is the engine a 34 came with from the factory,the one I found in my parts stash is one like this with finned heads and dual carbs and would like to know what kit it came from as I never built one with the first generation flathead that had speed equipment.

Yup, water pumps on the heads should be right for a '34.

IIRC they lived there from '32 -'36, and in '37 moved down to the lower block.

The connections for the upper water hoses could be in the center of the heads, or in front. I honestly don't remember all the possible permutations...so do your research.

Well I learn something new every day. For myself the Flat Heads that I have owned or worked on happen to be from '37 on and the '37 I owned I never had to touch the cooling system. I had a 1 owner '46 that was the first one I actually did any engine work on. All of the others were early '50's engines and they are somewhat different in several different was. 

On 9/8/2019 at 1:15 PM, gman said:

If you are also considering aftermarket flathead hop up parts, the Model Car Garage resin cast finned heads take pretty well to use on 1/24th scale engines:

https://www.modelcargarage.com/eshop/pc/showsearchresults.asp?pageStyle=P&resultCnt=&keyword=resin&submit=SEARCH

The center port parts are suitable for early flatheads, and the front port parts are better for later production flatheads (or for simulating one of those).

Most of the early Monogram stuff, like the 34 you're building, is true 1/24. I generally mix and match 1/24 and 1/25 if the parts look right. But these flathead parts from MCG are too big on most 1/25 engines, so should look perfect on your 1/24 build. And these MCG heads are beautiful pieces. Seek some out.

19 hours ago, 59 Buick said:

Hi Jeff,

you also have the option of Replicas and Miniatures flathead parts.

• centre port heads, thickstun head covers and Ardun conversion 
  • various intakes
  • air cleaners
  • Carburettors

check out pictures at Craigs Stansfield’s Fotki page  https://public.fotki.com/crstan/replican-and-miniat/replicas-and-miniat/

Tim Boyd has useful hints on his Fotki page at https://public.fotki.com/funman1712/tim-boyd-on-line-mo/tim-boyd-on-line-ho-8/hot-rod-hints-2/

The AMT 1934 Ford 5 window coupe kit# 8214 shown below also has speed equipment fitted to the 1934 Flathead

33281D14-8A4F-48C9-BDCC-13C268E752CE.jpeg.c6dfae2113063e8b130dcf0fef139340.jpeg

image.thumb.jpg.119c7406036b096985d084d9690748eb.jpg

Regards

Marty

That looks like the engine I found.

20 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Most of the early Monogram stuff, like the 34 you're building, is true 1/24. I generally mix and match 1/24 and 1/25 if the parts look right. But these flathead parts from MCG are too big on most 1/25 engines, so should look perfect on your 1/24 build. And these MCG heads are beautiful pieces. Seek some out.

That is an accurate description. I was lucky enough to get a few different pairs at a local hobby shop. Well-cast, look great.

19 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

That looks like the engine I found.

The custom heads in that kit represent the later model front-water port heads. Accurate for hopping up an early flathead? No, but many later model flatheads made their way into early rods & customs.