Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Ford flathead speed equipment

On 9/8/2019 at 7:48 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Here's some finned alloy heads with the pumps, early-style...

image.png.f332ac996565c40d2ade3a6626021744.png

Mmmmm. Eddie Meyer. They offered some really nice parts for dressing up and improving performance on the Ford flathead engine. Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland used to offer some scale Eddie Meyer parts (though I don't believe they cast a set of heads exactly like those). RMoM's castings are extremely nice. They even offer some spark plug wire looms like those in your photo.

18 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Odd thing about the Monogram '40 pickup's finned heads; they have no spark plug detail to speak of. I ended up cutting all eight plugs out of the stock heads and inserting them into the finned ones.

Did any of the Monogram '40 Ford pick up kits come with a stock engine ?

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I didn't know that. Is that this box?    image.png.2e53e8f6eab5a7ecfbc129985faee075.png

Yes.  That issue (first one) has stock hub caps and engine parts but is not 100% stock; it has custom interior door panels and seat.  Not sure if it has a custom headliner in the cab; I might be confusing it with the Revell '56 pickup which definitely had a custom headliner in the first issue.

13 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I didn't know that. Is that this box?    image.png.2e53e8f6eab5a7ecfbc129985faee075.png

If you can find one of those Ace, it has a bunch of custom parts in it that have been deleted from all of the reissues. And if I'm remembering it correctly the louvers that are on the hood and the tailgate in all of the following issues are not in the first issue. The tailgate for sure does not have louvers molded into it. It has chrome exhaust that goes up and across the bed sides, it has a set of ribbed bumpers, two different bed covers and a bunch of custom Body options that aren't in the later kits. Well worth having one in the stash even if just for reference.

12 hours ago, Toner283 said:

If you can find one of those Ace, it has a bunch of custom parts in it that have been deleted from all of the reissues...

8 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

...instructions from the original kit.

28 minutes ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Plus it has a real nice set of T-bird wire wheels...

Thanks, guys. Great info there. I have every issue but the first one, mistakenly bought a later issue with a kinda lookalike box...but no original goodies.

On 9/12/2019 at 3:41 PM, Toner283 said:

If you can find one of those Ace, it has a bunch of custom parts in it that have been deleted from all of the reissues. And if I'm remembering it correctly the louvers that are on the hood and the tailgate in all of the following issues are not in the first issue.

The Early Iron release didn't have louvres.  I think the Lemon Crate version might have been the first to have them?

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:52 PM, Mark said:

...Not sure if it has a custom headliner in the cab...

Yes it does. I just checked an original kit.  The headliner is a ribbed pattern, running back to front, molded into the roof.  Looks like it wouldn't be too hard to remove or cover up.  A few years ago, a resin caster offered some nice stock door panels for this kit.  Not sure if they're still available, but somebody in here might know.

Did any re-issues of this kit include the side-mounted spare wheel and the chrome hand tools? 

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

Did any re-issues of this kit include the side-mounted spare wheel and the chrome hand tools? 

The chrome hand tools have been in every issue. The original issue had 4 road flares in it that disappeared when all of the custom parts did. The side mount spare tire also disappeared at this time and the rear fender with the well in it for the spare tire clearance was also modified to a regular rear fender.