Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Ford GT40 Mk2 engine 3d printed

mad mike

Hello everyone,

usually I stick to 1/8 scale, but as it takes a lot of time to complete such a build sometimes I like to do my engine models in 1/24 too.
I treat those as benchmarks for my printer, with no attention to color, wiring etc, simply made of printed parts with an overall thin layer of silver.
So in this case I built the Ford GT40 MkII engine to the best of my knowledge, with the help of a lot of pics I got from a generous person.
If you notice any mistakes I'd be glad if you tell me since the 1/8 version is still in the builds.
Big thanks go to Tony for modeling the great 427 engine I used as starting point!

Thanks for looking!

DSC_0185.JPG

DSC_0186.JPG

DSC_0187.JPG

DSC_0188.JPG

DSC_0189.JPG

DSC_0190.JPG

DSC_0191.JPG

DSC_0192.JPG

DSC_0193.JPG

DSC_0210.JPG

Well, Michael...... I am by no means an expert on this engine, but this has to be the most accurate Ford GT40 engine in 1:24 scale that I have ever seen...... incredible!  Also, as a stand alone model it seems a shame to put the engine into a car..... almost. The fact that you are considering building this engine in 1:8 scale is extremely interesting, having seen what you can do in 1:24 scale.

David

Glad you guys like the engine!

@ Håkan : great to hear that you think it's correct, I think you know quite a deal about those!

I'm using an Asiga Pico printer, quite an antiquity now, five years old. Cost me a few thousand bucks, but it's worth it! Difficult to say what it costs to print the engine, for reference go to https://www.scaleproduction.de/product_info.php?info=p2336_1969-f-gt40-motor-bausatz.html

For creating the 3d model I'm using CATIA V5, the printing material is some photo-acrylic from Asiga.

I'm in contact with scaleproduction for a production run, but I think it will cost more than the Mk1 engine, it's a big block after all. Would you guys still be interested?

20 hours ago, mad mike said:

Glad you guys like the engine!

@ Håkan : great to hear that you think it's correct, I think you know quite a deal about those!

I'm using an Asiga Pico printer, quite an antiquity now, five years old. Cost me a few thousand bucks, but it's worth it! Difficult to say what it costs to print the engine, for reference go to https://www.scaleproduction.de/product_info.php?info=p2336_1969-f-gt40-motor-bausatz.html

For creating the 3d model I'm using CATIA V5, the printing material is some photo-acrylic from Asiga.

I'm in contact with scaleproduction for a production run, but I think it will cost more than the Mk1 engine, it's a big block after all. Would you guys still be interested?

I have been around some Ford FE engines in my day and I have two right now...allthough they are 390's, one is in my 1963½ Galaxie 500XL and the other one I'm building a 445 stroker out of.
Yes I'm interested as there aren't any egnines for the Mk II's available.

Let me repeat the sentiment...WOW!

I love the look the paint gives it, like all raw aluminum. Would love to see it with plug wires added, and a couple small items painted (oil filter, carb, fan belt, distributor cap, starter) just to add a little contrast.

Of particular interest is the alternator. Hard to achieve that look in a model without using photoetch for the blades, but this rocks. And those headers. What a nightmare for someone to try to cast in resin, but 3D printing avoids that issue

Well done

Imagine the hours spent just drawing this up to be able to print it in the first place.  Somebody has some great reference material and patience to do that.  Let alone passion.  I don't see how anyone could do that as a job and make money selling 1/24th scale engines at $55. euros a pop.  Or can they?  I just don't know enough about it but I'm sure someone that does will share more info.  It IS incredible looking.  cheers, tim

19 hours ago, Codi said:

Imagine the hours spent just drawing this up to be able to print it in the first place.  Somebody has some great reference material and patience to do that.  Let alone passion.  I don't see how anyone could do that as a job and make money selling 1/24th scale engines at $55. euros a pop.  Or can they?  I just don't know enough about it but I'm sure someone that does will share more info.  It IS incredible looking.  cheers, tim

Hello Tim,

good point. I've got a job that gives me some abilities that come in handy when drawing those models. For reference I have to rely on the net and the great people who put pictures online, and those who help me out after asking nicely. Sometimes I wish I had some reference in my garage! In the end I build those engines for myself, and if I see a way to let others have them without too much hassle for me I try to realize that. Let me tell you that $55 or $60 is not nearly enough, not with the small volume you will actually sell. The greatest reward for me is when someone builts a nice model with my parts and I get to see it, but sadly I haven't seen anyone post pictures of the scaleproduction Mk1 engine yet.