Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Ford GT40 Mk2 engine 3d printed

mad mike

This is utterly jaw dropping. I don't know much about 3d printing, but this must be the future of modeling?

Is the finish on the engine shown as it comes from the printer, or has it had some clean up? The 3d prints I've seen before all have rough (stepped) surfaces.

Any plans for a 1/8 scale one?

Edited by beeRS
Spelling

On 9/13/2019 at 7:04 AM, beeRS said:

This is utterly jaw dropping. I don't know much about 3d printing, but this must be the future of modeling?

Is the finish on the engine shown as it comes from the printer, or has it had some clean up? The 3d prints I've seen before all have rough (stepped) surfaces.

Any plans for a 1/8 scale one?

Hello Sonny,

aside from removing the support struts there has been no clean up on the parts. If you look at the headers you will notice some stepping, I think all 3d print techniques will produce some stepping on flat curved surfaces.

A rough surface doesn't necessarily come with stepping, that's due to the overall technology (powder vs fluid material, laser vs. lcd projector).

I'm currently building the 1/8 version for myself, that's why I modeled the engine in the first place. I will not be able to offer a 1/8 kit due to high cost of production and too few customers.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

These engines are truly amazing. I have bought two from Scale Production and am in the process of installing one in a Fujimi GT40 MkII, attaching the gearbox to the rear cross-member using two RB Motion aluminium "bolts". Getting the gearbox to fit correctly was not too difficult but the engine itself is a tad long, requiring work to clear the main rear bulkhead and although I didn't want to I have move the seats forward 3.5mm to clear the ancillaries on the front of the engine.

I have also bought two pf your 289 Cobra engines from MBW, one of them is going into a DDP GT40 Roadster - it used the earlier engine with the vertical carbs, not the later Gurney-Eagle engine with the inclined carb's.

Oh and I have four of your GT40 Mk1 engines, they fit in the Fujimi kit much easier because the gearbox is not so bulky.

20200630_104424[1].jpg

• 6 months later...

Mad Mike,

I am new to this site so please bare with me I read your first look if you will about this Ford GT40 engine and you said you might print (build) on if anyone was interested.  ME, I might be interested if the cost was not to high.  I know trans kits can be high priced, but I still would like to know what you might ask for one.  

MJO is also a Michael.  Thank you for your time, amazing work you have done with this engine.!!!!

On 1/16/2021 at 3:17 PM, MJO said:

Mad Mike,

I am new to this site so please bare with me I read your first look if you will about this Ford GT40 engine and you said you might print (build) on if anyone was interested.  ME, I might be interested if the cost was not to high.  I know trans kits can be high priced, but I still would like to know what you might ask for one.  

MJO is also a Michael.  Thank you for your time, amazing work you have done with this engine.!!!!

Check out modelbuilderswh.com for the engines.

• 1 month later...

Hey thanks and I did find the sight.  Great that you have helped us Ford GT40 builders kit bash the curbside model world with a super quality engine befitting a Ford GT40  /  Ferrari killer. Cool!!!

• 10 months later...