Model Cars Magazine Forum
George Bojaciuk

1969 Impala Console

With all this talk about the '68 and '69 Impala consoles, I'm now looking for one! I have two projects, near and dear to me. Both Impalas were my dad's. A '70 and a '76. I sent for paint and I have interior parts gathered. Would like a period correct one and not just a Chevelle console. The ''70 will be a LS6 and the '76 will be a 502. I'll probably have them cast so there would be plenty.

Any help is appreciated!

Edited by George Bojaciuk

5 hours ago, George Bojaciuk said:

Any help is appreciated!

Hey George, 

There's a noticeable difference in the two tubs I have....the '68 (bottom) 4spd  & the '69 (top) auto, both tubs have clutch pedals with molded in consoles. I know the '68 is MPC......'69 unsure if it's MPC or AMT....both are rescued builds, down the to do list.

-Kevin

0908191936.jpg

I have a '69 convertible promo and it has a four speed console that's separate. But, molded to the bucket seats. 

To my eyes, the '69 console in the pic above, posted by Khils, is much more accurately shaped. Online references say that 68 and 69 consoles are the same part, carried over as a cost-saving move, so what's good for one model should be good for the other. That 68 just seems a bit "soft" in the corners. If and when I source one for my build, I will make copies available. (working on a deal...) Good luck; the hunt continues!

The MPC '68 Impala I have has a molded in console. The AMT '69 Impala I have has a console that is molded with the seats. I have a MPC '69 Impala, but it still has the shrink wrap on it.

Edited by Bucky

33 minutes ago, Bucky said:

I have a MPC '69 Impala, but it still has the shrink wrap on it.

Now I hate you. Dagnabbit.

1 hour ago, bisc63 said:

Now I hate you. Dagnabbit.

Sorry!! I'll go rip off the plastic......or, maybe not! LOL

I've had this kit a long time.

Unless you bought that kit brand new from a store, you might want to rip off the shrink wrap.  You may find a box full of empty sprues  and plastic bottle caps.  But then, maybe not.  Only the Shadow knows.

If anyone has a junk interior with a good floor and console, I’d even consider cutting the floor out with the console and casting that.

Huge thanks goes out to Kevin Hilsabeck!  Met him in Toledo over the weekend and he gifted me with two consoles! I am thrilled!!!

Great guy! Thanks again, Kevin!

15 hours ago, George Bojaciuk said:

Huge thanks goes out to Kevin Hilsabeck!  Met him in Toledo over the weekend and he gifted me with two consoles! I am thrilled!!!

Great guy! Thanks again, Kevin!

" Humbled !"

You're most welcome!

Anything, Anytime!  George......just ask & I'll see what I can do Sir.

Great to see this project moving ahead!  We had 1970 and 1971 Chevys.  The 1970 was a two door coupe, all gold, 350/350 with a bench seat.  The 1971 was a light green BelAir sedan that was our family car for many years. Over the years my dad fiddled with the '71 a bit, he had a big carb and dual exhausts on it.  I will eventually build both of them.

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I will eventually build both of them.

Very nice talking with you at the display after NNL #40 Tom! 

Are you gonna need consoles for your builds also?

2 hours ago, Khils said:

Very nice talking with you at the display after NNL #40 Tom! 

Are you gonna need consoles for your builds also?

Very nice to speak with you too!  I don't believe I need consoles as the two I'm building will have bench seats like my originals. Thank you for asking!

Edited by Tom Geiger

2 hours ago, George Bojaciuk said:

Kevin...

Would you like the cleaned up ones back to cast? The auto console is going into my '76 MPC

Those are yours to do as you wish George!  When I did those for you...I also did for me to remold in a two piece mold ...just not done cleaning these.....so there should be much less clean up. My goal was to put consoles in your hand on short notice ...or yours would've been cleaned on delivery my friend

On 10/16/2019 at 3:42 PM, George Bojaciuk said:

I can’t leave anything alone!!!! I took the “bulbous” 4 speed console and my new micro sander....

31BE753B-6E29-4684-8382-74C39B11B28A.jpeg.6ffc254e8bbe713dfbf4be641a0d37e1.jpeg

That looks SO much better! What kind of build is this going in? Colors?

A4A8B3BE-10FF-4200-AE10-ED53D0C5B2FC.jpeg.23c47e78adab88f202293c0129b190f0.jpeg1DBF830D-A121-45AA-B8B0-93739F82F55E.jpeg.e7bbdf4cf24c1bd6214553c74daa68c2.jpeg
No worries, Kevin. Your goal was  exceeded. I’m thrilled with the pieces and will continue on.

Rusty - ‘70 454 SS Pantom. Buckets, console. I have the paint already!

Edited by George Bojaciuk

What an awesome project George, keep us posted, I wanna see this one.😎

Taking notes here, so I'll know how to attack my '68 and '69 builds. Some nice re-engineering going on!

2 hours ago, George Bojaciuk said:

I’m not just a pretty face, Bucky!

Is okay, chief...I ain't either!!

George B, that is going to be sweeeet. Planning any special SS touches to the exterior? (Blacked out grille bars, hood bulges, etc) I've been toying/sketching a similar phantom using Chevelle parts up-scaled a bit! I think a 70 SS rear bumper stretched a shaped to fit, with that black impact strip could be very sexy on an Impala; ditto the grille and cowl hood. sort of a Chevelle on steroids.