Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 50 Olds custom

randyc

This is like a hand me down custom.  Guy gets his first car.  His parents' old Olds.  Paint is tired, so he gets an Earl scheib paint job.  Except he added a white top cause 2 tones are classy.  A new set of wide whites and some Fiesta caps.  Lowers it a little.  Removed the vent windows because they just aren't cool and all the cool customs have them removed.  Some pinstripes and a little engine work.  And it's done.  For now.  Gotta get more money to take it to the next level.  And somewhere he recently lost the top radiator hose. . So he's having to Hitch a ride to the parts store.  

I have to say this is the best engineered kit I've ever put together.  Everything fit easily.  No weird sanding or filling to get it together.  Decals are thin and confirm nicely.  I screwed up the skirts.  

In all the cars I have, I don't have a single gray car.  Till now.  And it looked dreary till the BMF and wheels.  I was not excited about it at all till today when it started coming together.  I tried some new paint things that I mostly learned were not successful.  

IMG_20190908_160554431.jpg

IMG_20190908_160549225.jpg

IMG_20190908_160625418.jpg

IMG_20190908_160605746.jpg

IMG_20190908_160522495.jpg

4 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

That's a nice looking Olds! I really like the subtle color on it. What is the paint color?

It's a mix of testors MM flat grays that were just hanging around.  I want to say it's mostly flat dark gull gray?  IDK.  I just mixed till it felt right.  Using flat paints is NOT pleasant.  Or it wasn't to me.  Didn't shine up good.  The white is from a can of GM Duplicolor.  Just slightly not white.  Almost a Wimbledon white kind of white.  

25 minutes ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Very nice!! That's a very nice understated color combo that really works! I've seen a lot of these kits done up real nice and I think it's time for me to pick one up too. 

I was very excited about this kit when it came out, but for whatever reason didn't get it.  A friend picked it up for me recently.  Great kit.  I don't think it could go together badly.  

First let me say your build turned out great and the story is that of so many past and present. I agree with you about this kit. I have built a few including a resin fastback. Revell really did a great job of designing both the appearance of the kit but also the assembly of all the components of the kit.  

Great model and story!  Our fictitious hero must've carefully removed all the chrome before sending it to Uncle Earl for paint...  otherwise they would have painted it all gray!  Yea, their motto was "we paint cars, chrome, dirt, bird doodoo..."  It was like a car wash with paint!

Oh yeah, my guy was stretching every dime.  He removed all the brightwork himself so he could polish on it while the car was being painted.  He really wanted to take it further, but he just didn't have the money to do anymore right now.   He tried to get the most bang for his buck.  he probably left he skirts off because he wanted to further distance himself from the car his parents gave him.  They were pretty upset when he came back from the car show with all that pinstriping, too.   Since his mom took really good care of it, he had to only clean the interior really well and it was fine.   Well other than a "new" front seat and one door panel from the junkyard from a wrecked car that was pretty new when junked.  [I acrtually did that once with my 71 Dodge Dart - car in junkyard had nicer interior than mine.  4 door seats also fit in 2 dr car.   Just rear seat is more rounded at corners].  The Olds also has duals so it makes a bit more noise.  He'll drive it till he can afford something nicer.  Maybe a new Falcon or Corvair...  

My mind just keeps expanding the story.  Maybe the Olds was replaced with the 56 Chrysler 300 I'm starting now.   Or his dad bought a new 300?  I could do the whole story... I should stop now...

I do kinda think of stories to go with a lot of my builds if they aren't factory stock. Why would something be done like I build it?  I guess we are all "that person" in some form when we build.

1 hour ago, BeakDoc said:

Man, that is really classy!

Thanks!  "classy" isn't really what I was thinking, but I do appreciate the kind words.     My "guy" did want a car that his girlfriend wouldn't be too embarrassed to ride in.