Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rubber Duck Mack help

On 9/4/2023 at 12:09 AM, BlackSheep214 said:

Not much of a truck builder per say but I'd get it for nostalgia sake. I could care less if it's wrong or inaccurate. 

Well everyone do as they please.
I just want to tell people to not expect much from the kit, because I for one don't think the ERTL Rubber Duck kit is worh as much as some ask for it, as I said, I do have one and as far as I'm concerned it's not worth more than the regular DM600 kit because that's what it is.
I just looked and the price range for the Rubber Duck kit and it looks to be around $400 and up and the regular DM600 wich basically is the same kit you can get for well under $100.
The parts they added in the Rubber Duck kit are the International 4300 sleeper, the air foil on the roof, the grille surround, the bull bar, the duck hood ornament, decals and the large duck figure...and all these things except maybe for the duck figure are available from the aftermarket or at ebay and even if you get a regular DM600 and get all the parts needed you will still not get up to that $400 price range.
But as I say, it's free to get one if you want to.

Edited by Force
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2023 at 3:09 PM, BlackSheep214 said:

Not much of a truck builder per say but I'd get it for nostalgia sake. I could care less if it's wrong or inaccurate. 

Well, you are the market group Ertl was catering too. Love to here Force's details of the short cuts taken by big plastic to cash in on movie fads.

4 hours ago, leafsprings said:

Well, you are the market group Ertl was catering too. Love to here Force's details of the short cuts taken by big plastic to cash in on movie fads.

The ERTL Rubber Duck kit was never re-issued and the lack of accuracy may be one of the reasons for that, I don't know how well it sold but it was available for some years as it's in the ERTL catalogs from 1978 to 1982 and disappeared for 1983 and never came back.
It's not the first time the model companies did this and it probably woun't be the last, the least effort and money spent to do something that's supposed to be something closeish to get the model builders to buy so they could cash in on the subject.
Another good examples of this are the ERTL Smokey And The Bandit II trailer wich is nowhere close to the trailer from the second movie, it's just the Great Dane dry van trailer with new mural decals while the movie trailer was a step trailer so the kit is not right...ERTL also did no truck for this and AMT didn't jump on the ship with their GMC General kit wich would have been the most obvious, ERTL bought AMT 1983 so it would have been possible but never happened.
The AMT Movin On truck, same there, not close at all to the TV series trucks as they took what they allready had and only did new decals, you can do the pilot show truck from that kit with some modifications, the cab in the kit is a pre 1972 cab and the pilot show truck had a 1972 forward cab and some other small things needs to be changed, but the tv series trucks are very different from the AMT kit and the Revell Germany W900 kit is a lot closer visually allthough it's not correct either.
The AMT BJ and the Bear kit...well it kind of looks like the trucks from the tv series but it's not that accurate, the wheelbase is too long, the engine and transmission are wrong, and same here...the Revell Germany K100 Aerodyne kit is closer than the AMT kit is.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2023 at 12:40 AM, Force said:

The only useable parts from this kit if you want to build a correct movie truck are the air foil on the roof, the bull bar, the duck hood ornament and some of the decals, the rest is totally wrong and the AMT R600 kit is a way better starting point than this kit.
Unfortunately we will most likely not see the AITM resin Rubber Duck kit anymore but that's the best one so far out there, I got that kit  from Dave sometime before he passed, a Trailmobile tank body from Doug at Keystone sometime before he closed up shop, and decals from Jerry at Modeltruckin', so I have everything to do a correct replica.

Great foresight Hakan, it seems there was indeed a short time window to purchase all the pieces necessary to do a very close Rubber Duck movie truck. 

2 hours ago, Little Timmy said:

For those who need it...

My company has a derelict  R 700 L on our Backlot. 

If you want, I can take a few pictures of it.

It's mostly intact, but it doesn't run anymore ( I believe it has more than 3,000,000 miles on it.)

Well that would be cool indeed. 3M miles holy crabs

The engine set up is of interest to me,as just the overall body appearance vs the smaller kit truck

I thank you  in advance and please take your time and be safe when taking pics, there is absolutely no rush 

Cheers👍🏻😎

19 hours ago, Little Timmy said:

For those who need it...

My company has a derelict  R 700 L on our Backlot. 

If you want, I can take a few pictures of it.

Could you also take some measurements of the hood? For those that want to convert the R685 hood of the AMT kit? Thanks in advance!

Rob

On 9/10/2023 at 8:01 PM, leafsprings said:

Great foresight Hakan, it seems there was indeed a short time window to purchase all the pieces necessary to do a very close Rubber Duck movie truck. 

Yes, if you want something act when it's available, if you don't you might miss out...lesson learned over the years.