Model Cars Magazine Forum

How did you fix the Too Much dragster body?

The body on this kit is horrible, barely covering the driver. AMT really didn't try very hard on this one!
SO, how did you "fix" it? Is there a resin body that fits? Buying another kit seems to be defeating the purpose, so come on ingenious modelers, what did you do?

Don't see why you can't whip a couple of small pieces of sheet plastic on there to get the shape you really want.  I'd probably lop off the nose section too, I might be wrong but I don't remember too many Top Gas dual-engine cars as having had bodywork forward of the cowl.

Another thought: the Digger 'Cuda uses the same chassis...what about a two-engine 'Cuda?

The Altered States Models shorty fed body is the right width for this chassis but needs to be cut down to work as it is too long.  Also a top gas car would not have been running 426 hemis as the eliminator was gone after like 1971 I believe.....I think the only guy who ran one was Jim Minnick in a single engine car that was way shorter than this chassis.  I plan to build one using 2 of the 426 wedges from the Tony Nancy 22jr kits ......2 392 hemis are what is really appropriate though.  Not enough money in Top Gas for the late hemis to be affordable.

Edited by boss 302 mustang
typo

That, and if I remember right, this kit was first issued in 1972 after Top Gas had been abolished.  At the time, this was a relatively cheap way of getting a "new" kit into the AMT catalog.  Only the body, and a part or two to link the two engines together, were new.  They pretty much molded two Ivo dragsters, and threw one complete kit in the box along with a second plated tree and engine parts.  The original issue (not the Model King one) had two complete plated trees in the box.

I'm sure everyone knows that the AMT kit was a take-off on The Syndicate. According to Draglist, it was an AA/FD. Various sources confirm it had mediocre performance, and that the advent of rear engine dragsters caused it to get parked.

http://www.draglist.com/draglist/search.php?q=the+syndicate&search=Search&exact=exact&VIEW=Extended

syndicate.jpg

• 3 years later...
On 9/15/2019 at 12:10 AM, Draggon said:

I'm sure everyone knows that the AMT kit was a take-off on The Syndicate. According to Draglist, it was an AA/FD. Various sources confirm it had mediocre performance, and that the advent of rear engine dragsters caused it to get parked.

http://www.draglist.com/draglist/search.php?q=the+syndicate&search=Search&exact=exact&VIEW=Extended

syndicate.jpg

Well, that's real dynamic looking. I've got the Too Much kit; anybody ever do Syndicate decals or maybe something else for this kit?

Thanks,

Doc