Model Cars Magazine Forum

Windsheild frame repair

Hi All, I am thinking of attempting to repair a 65 Johan convertible windsheild frame and wanted to ask what kit might possibly donote the correct frame and windsheild. I was thinking the Moebius 65 Satellite

but was not sure if the real cars shared the windsheilds. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, fordf-100 said:

a 65 Johan convertible windsheild frame

Hi there, which Jo-Han kit is it? Are you sure the windshield frame has to be replaced? If it's "only" broken, maybe it can be repaired. I have seen a good trick to that purpose on this forum, where someone used a piece of paper dipped in superglue to fix a broken windshield frame. 

Its the Fury promo, its pretty well beyond repair with pieces missing.

I am not sure if the hard tops and convertibles shared the same frame and glass. I thought someone would know on the forum. I have heard that the 65 Satellite has some roof problems but it I was thinking that might be the best option, also not sure about the width.

The '65 Plymouth Fury is a fullsize car while the Satellite is an intermediate.  The windshield frames are different widths and different shapes also.  There's nothing currently available that matches up with a '65 Fury, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Tommy124 said:

Hi there, which Jo-Han kit is it? Are you sure the windshield frame has to be replaced? If it's "only" broken, maybe it can be repaired. I have seen a good trick to that purpose on this forum, where someone used a piece of paper dipped in superglue to fix a broken windshield frame. 

That was me and it's not quite that but it's kinda the general idea. You can find it by running a search on the word fauxberglass, especially in the Tips section. 

6 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

That was me and it's not quite that but it's kinda the general idea. You can find it by running a search on the word fauxberglass, especially in the Tips section. 

Fauxberglass... now that's something to remember. :D I think I saw it in some other guy's WIP though, broken A pillar simply fixed with a tiny strip of paper and superglue. 

Thanks for the tips guys! I will take a look at the forum for the repairs and do the search Snake suggested. The windsheild is cracked and I always have trouble getting a nice fit with using clear sheet plastic, it never sets in the frame right for me, I have seen some of the members do their glass with sheet plastic and it looks awesome, mine not so good!

I have repaired a couple hardtop promo windsheild pillars with making a mold and using some chassis or interior plastic from the promo melted in MEK and its worked pretty well but with a stand alone windsheild frame I'm not so sure!

The only matching windshield frames for the Johan '65 Fury would be the Johan '66 Fury, or one of the MPC 1965/ '66 Monaco/Polara/880 frames.

All very rare kits.

Not much help, I know.

If I were you, I would just check my stash and see if I can find something close to the Plymouth frames shape and size and use that.

Very few people are going to nitpick, or even notice, if it's off a little bit.

Maybe a mid-sixties full sized Ford, like a '65 or '66 Galaxie?

Other than the rake of the vent window, (which can be modified) the AMT '65 Galaxie looks fairly close to me.

Steve

Thanks Steve thats a good idea, I do have some junk bodies laying around. I was also thinking of trying to put an uptop on it,  just for strength, I dont know if that was ever kitted with an up top or if any other Johans would work. I have a 67 Fury with an up top but that suffers from the same problem. Not sure if that would even be a close fit. 

7 hours ago, fordf-100 said:

Thanks Steve thats a good idea, I do have some junk bodies laying around. I was also thinking of trying to put an uptop on it,  just for strength, I dont know if that was ever kitted with an up top or if any other Johans would work. I have a 67 Fury with an up top but that suffers from the same problem. Not sure if that would even be a close fit. 

Not sure if the '67 Fury up top is the same as the '65/'66 or not, but the Johan Plymouth convertibles from '64-'68 all came with an up top.

They all require a little work to look right.

Steve