Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scalefinishes paints

I haven't used Scalefinishes paints before and would like some input from those that have.  Do these paints behave like Model Masters enamels?  Do they require special preparations before the color coat?  Is there any special application process and what air pressure should I use for the best results?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. 

I have just begun using Scale Finishes paint and to this point, I'm pretty impressed.

Scale Finishes offers two types of paint.

Enamel, and 2 part acrylic lacquers.

I have not used the enamel and have heard of some drying issues.

But the lacquers are pretty much like any other automotive type lacquer.

They require a pretty good primer barrier to guard against plastic crazing, and they require a clear coat for the shine.

Any good lacquer primer should give you good results as long as you don't skimp.

It sprays very nicely from an airbrush with good coverage and Scale Finishes recommends an air pressure of 20-30 PSI.

Steve

I have been using Tamiya primers under Scale Finishes for years with no problems, ever. I use both the enamels and basecoats they offer. I sometimes order one of each, basecoat / clear coat for the body and the enamel for overspray on the chassis or an interior panel I want body color but don't want the extra layer of clear coat.