Model Cars Magazine Forum

Never Forget. EVER! 18 years ago today.

BaBaBooey

Its a real shame that so many have forgotten. I will never forget where I was on this 18 years ago. The memory of all that perished that day in New York, DC and Pennsylvania will live forever. If anyone on here was affected by this terrible tragedy, our thoughts and prayers should continue. 

6e6de5406a92b63f0e6cfe7c6f062d86.jpg

Yes MANY people have seemed to have forgot about this very tragic event that happened only18 short years ago. At the time it happened I was doing construction work at a hospital and was shocked to see the plane hit the tower on one of the TV's. It was truly something many people and even I wouldn't think that would ever happen. While at public buildings today they were flying our American flag at half mast, other than my own flag I didn't see any other flags displayed in front of people's houses. Doesn't anyone care what happened on this date 18 years ago, or is it OKAY??? It certainly isn't okay with me as thousands of innocent lives were lost. Doesn't anyone care about the attack on Pearl Harbor, D-Day, and other historic events that cost thousands of American lives. While I'm by no means a "history buff," a lot of these events were brought up either in grade or high school that I was attending or I've seen them mentioned in newspapers which I still read everyday. Seems like a LOT of people are in their own little world and could care less about anything that doesn't directly pertain to them.

I was at work and happened to be in the lunchroom. The TV was on and I saw what was going on and was shocked. I watched as long as I could and went back to my office and was glued to the radio. No chance I will ever forget that day. I remember the next day that 1/4 of the cars and trucks I saw including mine had American flags flying from them.  Stores in the area ran out of flags and many people just could not get them. There was a feeling between people that has long since gone away.

Wife woke me up (she was an early riser, live in AZ) and said "you *have to* see this".  Was in shock.  In shock today to see "some people did some things" is not met with passionate Patriotism, and conspiracy theories is used for what I don't know.  Better just leave it there.
7977946668_4b3c6a2e50_c.jpg

Nor will I, and I count my blessings each day on how my day hasn't been turned upside down like so many of them were on that day. I've displayed a composite photo of the flag and a pic of the towers my parents took from the Hudson ever since October 2001, reprinted as needed to keep the colors nice.

I can remember exactly what I was doing. I was at work and had literally just sat down after break and a coworker of mine said, "Did you hear about a helicopter or plane hitting a building in NYC or something?" I had told her no, and didn't think much of it. We had a radio station that played over the speakers at the time, and there was music playing. All of a sudden the music went off and news of a second plane hitting the towers was all we heard about for the rest of the day. Folks were numb and couldn't believe what they were seeing/hearing.

There were people leaving work early as some of the schools were shutting down and they had to pick up their kids.........the local malls were closing early as there was wind that a terror attack was in play. I remember driving on the way home, how eerily quiet the streets were. This was 3:30 or so in the afternoon........hardly any traffic on the road as folks were shutting down early and sending people home. VERY strange to see here in this area on a bright sunny day on a Tuesday no less.

And yes, after that just about every other car I saw had an American flag flying in the breeze. People are forgetting, and we have to remember there's a whole bunch of young ones born since that time that have no idea what happened then. Not to stray into the political, but I'm of the mind the real truth of what happened that day back will be coming out sooner than later.

I have to admit that model wise, I was putting the finishing touches on my '58 Chevy convertible back then. I remember that because that previous Saturday, a bunch of us from the club got together at a members house for a get-together/cookout and I had brought the model along which was all but finished, except for the wheel covers/bumpers which were still out at Chrometech.

We were laughing and having a good time with no idea what was to follow just three days later.

Edited by MrObsessive

I remember it well. I also remember that evening how quiet the sky was with no airplanes flying anywhere.  It was eerie.

As far as remembering goes, there are 18 year old young adults who weren't even born when 9/11 happened.  They can't remember, but should be reminded.

Edited by peteski

It's a day where the lives lost that day should honored and a forever a day that the lives lost from the after effects should be honored. Whatever the excuses, or theories, or whatever the beliefs are of why it happened, it DOES NOT change the fact it happened. Thousands of innocent lives were lost and are still being lost.

2 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

I can remember exactly what I was doing. I was at work and had literally just sat down after break and a coworker of mine said, "Did you hear about a helicopter or plane hitting a building in NYC or something?" I had told her no, and didn't think much of it. We had a radio station that played over the speakers at the time, and there was music playing. All of a sudden the music went off and news of a second plane hitting the towers was all we heard about for the rest of the day. Folks were numb and couldn't believe what they were seeing/hearing.

There were people leaving work early as some of the schools were shutting down and they had to pick up their kids.........the local malls were closing early as there was wind that a terror attack was in play. I remember driving on the way home, how eerily quiet the streets were. This was 3:30 or so in the afternoon........hardly any traffic on the road as folks were shutting down early and sending people home. VERY strange to see here in this area on a bright sunny day on a Tuesday no less.

And yes, after that just about every other car I saw had an American flag flying in the breeze. People are forgetting, and we have to remember there's a whole bunch of young ones born since that time that have no idea what happened then. Not to stray into the political, but I'm of the mind the real truth of what happened that day back will be coming out sooner than later.

I have to admit that model wise, I was putting the finishing touches on my '58 Chevy convertible back then. I remember that because that previous Saturday, a bunch of us from the club got together at a members house for a get-together/cookout and I had brought the model along which was all but finished, except for the wheel covers/bumpers which were still out at Chrometech.

We were laughing and having a good time with no idea what was to follow just three days later.

We were all of the same thought at first. I was working in an outdoor lumber yard at the time. The GM was "holding court" as usual that morning and said a plane hit. My first thought a small Cessna type plane. But then, same thing, radio cut out and our fabric of life in this country changed. Then the reports of DC and Pennsylvania came out. 

I remember how eerie it was that day too. No planes, traffic was oddly light. 

28 minutes ago, peteski said:

I remember it well. I also remember that evening how quiet the sky was with no airplanes flying anywhere.  It was eerie.

As far as remembering goes, there are 18 year old young adults who weren't even born when 9/11 happened.  They can't remember, but should be reminded.

It's kinda odd to know that there kids fresh out of high school who have no real idea of what happened. We can only hope they teach about 9/11 as I was taught about Dec 7th. 

I observed the planes hitting the towers while sitting in traffic in long Island City that morning. I saw the smoldering piles when I had to deliver emergency electrical equipment for the rescue teams on Sept. 13. My company was issued special clearance to enter Lower Manhattan for this purpose. I brought along a camera but thought otherwise about taking pictures. I felt ashamed and thought it would be disrespecting the memory of all those who died. Many of the police and firefighters who unselfishly made the ultimate sacrifice were from the surrounding firehouses and precincts and I was friends with a number of them. I still have good memories of the WTC prior to Sept. 11. I spent a lot of time in the area hanging out in bars, eating at Windows On The World in the North Tower, taking friends visiting from out of town to the rooftop observation deck in the South Tower. Never forget who did this and make no excuses for their actions.

BTW, take a look at the box score from last night's Mets-Diamondbacks game at Cit Field:

984326092_mets911.jpg.0ff62965e2bf8da65418ec4b65a5b5b2.jpg

A weird coincidence for the books.

Edited by SfanGoch

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

... Never forget who did this and make no excuses for their actions.

Yes, and most especially when we hear cowardly phrases like "some people did something", or the New York Times' idiotic tweet yesterday saying "airplanes took aim and brought down the World Trade Center".

Ban me if I'm over the political line, but some things need to be said, whether they make people uncomfortable or not.

The United States of America was attacked viciously and without warning on Sept. 11, 2001, with more killed than at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941...most of them innocent, defenseless civilians.

Never forget.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Like so many others I well remember what and where I was at the time. I was at work and happened to be passing thru the customer lounge and saw the TV sometime after the first plan hit. I was transfixed watching the TV when the second plan hit. Hard to describe what I felt inside, but anger would be a polite word. I called my wife at work and told her to go fill her car with gas as I was about to do the same not knowing what was to come next I thought it was best to stay a mobile as possible. This and the assassination of President Kennedy are events I will always remember. When I here someone speak of the Twin Towers attack in a manor that minimizes the event I have to question their loyalties in life.    

10 hours ago, peteski said:

What was eerie in my part of the country was that the sky was filled with contrails.  All commercial air traffic was grounded so those were military aircraft.

It was a very peculiar feeling seeing how many military aircraft were actively flying.  My wife, kids and I were looking at this.  The kids were 10 and 6 and were a bit rattled.  When they were out of earshot, I whispered to my wife "I wonder what they know that we don't". 

I took my annual pilgrimage into the city yesterday to spend some time at Ground Zero and to remember those who lost their lives (and continue to lose their lives due to various 9-11 related illnesses) to this day. 

New York is just as vibrant and essential and wonderful as it ever has been, and whilst we remember the thousands of victims New York continues to be, well, New York.  New York will not be scared or swayed, and I’m proud to live here amongst the millions of other proud New Yorkers and wonderful patriotic Americans

DDC9F810-FFD7-41CB-B2A8-5676C20D79A2.jpeg

Mvc-020s

My wife took this photo from the end of our street in Hazlet, New Jersey on 9-11.  We were right across NY harbor, on the opposite side of Staten Island.  It was so intense that it smelled of electrical fire, so strong that you thought it was a fire on your street. This lasted about a week.  Being a 'bedroom community' to New York City, everyone knew someone who perished, and people who had close calls.  I knew that day that life would never be the same again! 

My mom and sister had planned to come and visit me in Santa Clara. My dad had Parkinsons and my mom was primary care giver. She had someone who could help watch him for a couple of days so she could get a break.

I was concerned that Marshall law would be declared and they would get stuck in the bay area. They ended up changing their plans.

We must not forget.

3 hours ago, Jim N said:

What was eerie in my part of the country was that the sky was filled with contrails.  All commercial air traffic was grounded so those were military aircraft.

[...]

My neighbor is a guide for Colorado River running.  He was at the bottom of the Grand Canyon that day, noticed the lack of air traffic, but didn't have contact with home until he ended the trip.

We had a next door neighbor couple who were on vacation in Seattle when it happened. They shared a rental car with another couple from Chicago and drove it home after dropping them off there. For the longest time we would see license plates from everywhere on rental cars for at least another year afterwards.   

I was at work in my cubical listening to Howard Stern when it happened. We had a TV in the lunchroom and a group of us spent the morning glued to the TV. My boss told me they were closing the office early and he gave me a ride to the train station. As i was sitting on the platform, I noticed that it was quiet as there were no planes in the air going to land at Person Airport. And when the train stopped at Toronto Union Station, there were police walking around the platform with heavy weapons. 

3 minutes ago, kitbash1 said:

I was at work in my cubical listening to Howard Stern when it happened. We had a TV in the lunchroom and a group of us spent the morning glued to the TV. My boss told me they were closing the office early and he gave me a ride to the train station. As i was sitting on the platform, I noticed that it was quiet as there were no planes in the air going to land at Person Airport. And when the train stopped at Toronto Union Station, there were police walking around the platform with heavy weapons. 

Yup, that was (after it all happened) one of the quietest days I can remember.

I went shopping the next day and it was still the same. We where all just going about our business in disbelief.

Looking at each other wondering how was this real.

A lot went on behind the scenes that day.  Four of my brother in laws were involved to some degree. I am from New Jersey and lived there in what was considered a "bedroom community" to New York City. We knew a lot of people who commuted there to work every day.  And we were a stone's throw across New York Harbor, on the other side of Staten Island, from the city. On a good day we could see the Twin Towers from our shore.

My wife's brother Ken was supposed to go on an interview in the Towers that day. His family thought he was there. Fortunately he ditched the interview.  He later said, "Something just didn't feel right." so he didn't go.

My wife's brother Don was en route to New York via Subway (what we call "The Tubes") from Jersey City, New Jersey to NYC. He was supposed to go to the station in the basement of the Trade Center.  His Path Train stopped in the tunnel under the river and stayed there for some time.  Nobody knew what was happening. They all thought it was a train delay.  The train reversed and returned to NJ. He watched the towers crumble from the roof of the Port Authority Building parking garage that day.

My wife's sister's husband Tim was in the air to Houston on business. He was on a flight that the hijackers had test run.  His flight was grounded in Atlanta.  There were no rental cars. His boss was going to buy a new Chevy Suburban anyway, so he bought one and they drove it home to NJ.

My sister's husband worked for an ambulance manufacturer in New Jersey.  The boss grabbed everyone in the facility and told them to drive ambulances to the ferry docks in New Jersey.  They took every truck that was driveable.  New ones, customers rigs in for service... they all went out. No customer ever complained.

My friend was in the maintenance department for Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey.  All of the New York ferrys were just loading up in New York and taking overloaded boats to their ports with no regard to tickets or capacity limits. My friend was on the receiving dock and his crew was hosing down people who were covered with dust.  My brother in law was taking people to area hospitals in those ambulances.

I had a young friend who worked for me in Central NJ but thought it would be cool to be in Facilities Management at the World Trade Center, so he left my company.  We couldn't get in touch with him and thought the worst!  He called me after a week that he had been involved in the aftermath. 

As someone else mentioned, it was downright eerie that there was no air traffic.  We were in an area in the flight paths of all the NYC airports and could always see a dozen planes in the sky at night. To have nothing in the air was totally unsettling.  And the smell in the air was a constant reminder.

All of the local NY TV stations had their antennas on the roof of the World Trade Center. Everyone who didn't have cable's TVs went to fuzz. We broke down and got cable that week!  The cable company worked 24/7 to get everyone on, I believe it took 2 days! 

It was an awful time locally as the week unfolded. You found you knew people in town who had perished.  You found that your co-worker's sister died.  We discovered that three Tri-State Scale Model Car Club wives all worked in the towers.  Fortunately all three survived!  

Edited by Tom Geiger