Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:25 - need tips..looking to build log truck, older conventional

Not much luck doing search.  What I'd really like is a 1950's era log truck in 1:20 scale to use with that scale model logging railroad.  Don't think I'll find that.  On a gamble today, I picked up the AMT 1103 Peerless logging trailer in 1:25, new, $29.    Could be OK in that scale, but am having trouble finding a suitable 1950's vintage truck to hook it up to that would match scale.

Any tips/thoughts would be appreciated.  Not much out there in older conventionals that I can find.

Thanks, Dennis

Thanks.  Big help.  I ordered the Sterling cab kit from AITM.  Now to figure what/where to find a chassis for it go on.  Side comment on G scale model railroading:   Our guys run a lot of 1:20.3, but also 1:22 and 1:29.  Different manufacturers have been making things to different versions of scale.  I can make 1:25 work.  

Now to save more money!

???

Dennis,

If this is going to be primarily a "shelf display" type of model truck, and money is an object, you might consider using one of the SNAP kits as the donor for your resin cab.....  If you have a Hobby-Lobby that you frequent, those kits are about $18 using the 40% off coupon.

DJ

Revell offers two snap tite trucks that are very good kits despite their simplified nature. Unfortunately both of these kits are too modern to be a donor for your truck. Personally I would use the AMT Diamond Reo or Autocar kits as a donor, these are closer to the year of your truck and have a suspension closer to what would be used on a logging truck at that time.