Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 indy turbine car

Brudda

Great job on a fascinating subject.  This was a big deal back then for all race fans, but for a 11 or 12 year old kid like me it was HUGE.  I must have built 5 or 6 of these back then, plus my Dad was a Scout leader, and I think He did a pinewood derby car or two that was heavily influenced by them

Awesome job.  Might make me get the one I have left out.  Those Indycal tires sure make a big difference, also!

Thank you Rich. The lower control arms , front and rear were short plastic. Had to add some evergreen to complete the arms. Have to sand the steering linkage to fit. Do not be afraid to modify as needed. This is NOT a tamiya kit. You have to make things fit. Add plastic, take off plastic, fight plastic etc. hope this helps.

39245C1E-5420-4B6D-82B1-C77C0E50F4F0.jpeg

59B5BD17-58D8-47F7-91F9-E084AB469D1A.jpeg

CA1AF1DD-7718-4E97-8B2D-8D0DD72C5C2E.jpeg

0260DDA1-77A5-4A4B-ABAA-B453B2C0F2A0.jpeg

You are doing a really good job on this build!!  I'm old enough I remember seeing these turbines at Indy during the practice days.  The story I've always heard was they repainted Joe's car for the Indy 500 because the officials and race scorers were having difficulty telling his, Graham's and Art Pollard's cars apart during practice so they did something to each for the race to make them look unique.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.conceptcarz.com%2Fview%2Fphoto%2F1608460%2C11284%2F1968-lotus-type-56_photo.aspx&psig=AOvVaw2SIt8z9LKafOFBfommxa3f&ust=1570054688554000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAkQjhxqFwoTCOjVw9OL_OQCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAc

OK - not exactly a user friendly web link

but find the Indy Museum display link at the Conceptcarz site ....

2 of the best shots of the turbine engine that I have ever seen

Absolutely fascinating, Bruce..... and I have to admit, that I don't know much about Indy cars, but your build is very interesting. You are doing a great job with what appears to be a very difficult kit. This will turn out well I think, and it will live up to your expectations. You must be enjoying this one!

David

Mr. Tanaka,  for your information (and anyone else that may be looking for pictures of older Indy Cars) there is a page on FB (I know, I know, everyone hates FB, but there are some decent resource photos on there) called "Vintage Indy Registry".  There are quite a few restored Indianapolis cars from the last 60-70 years in the hands of private owners that actually still race them, in a somewhat controlled situation, and many of these cars are meticulously restored to their original condition.  Lots if photos on this page if you scroll down through the page and go through the photos. There was an event in August this year at Gateway/World Wide Technology Raceway that had the restored #60 turbine car in attendance.  Not a tremendous help to you now, Mr. Tanaka, but maybe a help to others.

Thank you AMX ,thank you David, thank you  sflam123. My friend Mark always tells me to get on Facebook . He says there are a lot of modeling and info. My wife is on Facebook and I will look at vintage Indy registry. Thanks for the information. 

12 hours ago, Brudda said:

Thank you slam 123!!! The vintage Indy registry site is the best!!! 

Glad I could help you!

Did you see the post TODAY of the three turbines together??  The #20, #60 and #70 were brought together.  As I understand it from another site, the #70 has been authenticated, but there is some question as to whether the #60, owned by the IMS museum is authentic or not.

There is another page on FB that may be of benefit to you as well, called "1960's Indy Cars"

The vintage site is awesome! Yes I saw the turbines! Cool. I posted I was doing a model of The number 60 turbine and they want to see the work in progress. Very Very cool.   Here is the progress of the build. I was very mad as I had to make the front spindles. No front spindles in the kit box!!! Bummer, so a lot of time was making the spindles. Not perfect but they work.  Soo I checked other parts and they are here. Thank you sflam123. The vintage site is awesome. 

C806CA23-BC0A-4826-B753-1BB6ECDA57A2.jpeg

42A55349-6460-4FE4-B459-712C2DD46192.jpeg

CA78D532-44E1-4026-B7BB-011939364A89.jpeg

D8AB8FA3-2247-4D9E-921C-28684BB8425C.jpeg

4C1059E5-E82D-4286-8BA4-4FCA31929589.jpeg