Model Cars Magazine Forum

and for all of those that put Chebys in those classic Fords

4 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

54523796_825419167810774_5373491613328736256_n.jpg

Somehow I knew I was gonna see this even before I clicked....

To me, that thing's kinda like trying to set up an AR-15 to run on black powder and percussion caps. (Now that I've typed that, I'd be willing to bet that SOMEBODY, SOMEWHERE has done exactly that--and might even be selling conversion parts for it.):rolleyes:

Yeah...well...putting a flathead in a Camaro makes no sense. It's a thermally inefficient engine, relatively fragile, low-revving, with expensive (these days) parts. Yeah, they're as cool as anything on the planet in period pieces. But you can get 3 times the power and reliability at 1/3 the cost with an old junkyard Chebby. On the other hand, a built flathead Ford in something like a '49 Chebby that came with a stovebolt 6 would definitely be a great swap.

Just my personal opinion, fellers.  B)

Years ago a member of our model club (Moon Light Modelers, Phoenix AZ ) continually talked about the HEMI he was going to put in his '71 Challenger. This was way before the new generation. 

One meeting he showed up with his car running the HEMI he spoke of for so many months.

Jaws dropped when he opened the Hood and eyes saw the big ol 392 iron block HEMI nestled in the engine bay. 

Needless to say we were speechless. 

8 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

Certainly an old school endeavor. Not that unusual

At least the flathead in a Crosley makes sense. I’m with Ace-Garageguy on the Camaro. I don’t get it, other than for shock value....?

But then again, I’ve seen a lot of strange things over the years. A Pinto with a 428 V8, a Mazda rotary in a Henry J, a 455 Toronado mounted in the bed of a Corvair “Rampside” pickup, etc etc etc

Even back in the day, people would use anything and everything that would make their jalopies go faster, like this guy who used the engine from a Cord in his rod.

cord.jpg

That more Ford V-8s ended up being used had more to do with there being more of them in the junkyards than out of any sense of "tradition".  When better engines became available, that's what was used.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

2 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Even back in the day, people would use anything and everything that would make their jalopies go faster...

That more Ford V-8s ended up being used had more to do with there being more of them in the junkyards than out of any sense of "tradition".  When better engines became available, that's what was used.

Exactly.

Today its about aftermarket and availability. I love my modern 5.7 hemi. But to get 500 hp, it would cost almost $8k. I can do a junkyard LS/ebay turbo swap and make almost 850hp for way less than that. I have a 67 ford f100 Im going to start working on soon, along with my sons 67 dodge d100.  Im on the fence about swapping an LS into the f100. They are so cheap and plentiful, and the aftermarket is crazy.  Have you seen what used coyotes are going for?

Ford Coyotes are being put in a lot of cars....GM included!!!  We wanted to buy back my son's Mustang when he was rear ended.....but insurance would not allow.....knowing they could sell it for big $$$$

One Friday....

DSC02805.JPG

the next Saturday morning....

etcmust.jpg

Edited by Dave Van

That's when the law suit wudda started!

1 minute ago, Dave Van said:

Ford Coyotes are being put in a lot of cars....GM included!!!  We wanted to buy back my son's Mustang when he was rear ended.....but insurance would not allow.....knowing they could sell it for big $$$$

DSC02805.JPG

etcmust.jpg

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I wonder if anybody's stuffed a coyote into a roadrunner yet. Beep beep.  B)

image.png.ec9f47b68419a1e15ae05b428c21e28f.png

I believe Acme Conversions sells a complete trans-kit.