Model Cars Magazine Forum

1930 Cord L-29

Eric Macleod

This is by far my longest running WIP. In 1982 or 1983 I was attending the Straits Area Antique Auto Show in St. Ignace, MI. There I overheard two moder builders discussing their projects. One happened to ask the other  "how are you coming on your L-29 Cord project?" "Slow," was the response.  I couldn't help myself  and butted my way into the discussion.  "They're coming out with a Cord L-29 kit?" "No," one of the modelers replied.  "I'm making mine from the MPC Chrysler Imperial kit."

Well, I thought to myself,  if he can do it, I can too. So off I went to find an MPC Imperial Convertible Sedan.  That took a while but finding the right 1:1 L 29 was easy as there was a local car that was a fresh restoration, and a 100 point car to boot.  The gods of model building smildd upon me as I stumbled upon the book The Olympian Cars, still the best book ever written about Full Classics,  IMHO, which had a close to 1:24 photo of a L-29 Phaeton Sedan. This photo was both a gift and a curse as I was able to clearly see just how different the two cars were aside from the obvious front vs. Rear wheel drive. Fast forward to the release of Automodellos L-29 Brooks Stevens roadster . I was able to buy two in distressed condition, enough to provide wheels, bumpers, hood, grill and surround as so on. Here is where I am today. It will very likely not be a show winner, but should look the part of a 1930 Cord. 

20190913_231629-1008x756.jpg

20190913_230953-1008x756.jpg

20190913_231116-1008x756.jpg

20190913_231239-1008x756.jpg

5 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I'll definitely be following this one.  I managed to find some pages online of a L-29 brochure that included some illustrations of the chassis

Long ago I planned to do a full detail model but have since lowered my sights to a curbside car.  Likely I will build an engine and transmission for display as a separate project because reality hit me; either finish it curbside style or don't finish it at all. Given that I am quite good at starting models but struggle to get them done,  this seemed to be the best compromise.  Thanks for coming along for the ride.

2 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

Long ago I planned to do a full detail model but have since lowered my sights to a curbside car.  Likely I will build an engine and transmission for display as a separate project because reality hit me; either finish it curbside style or don't finish it at all. Given that I am quite good at starting models but struggle to get them done,  this seemed to be the best compromise.  Thanks for coming along for the ride.

A perfectly sensible approach.

This is really cool! I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes out.

I've heard of The Olympian Cars, and I think I have seen exactly one copy, ever. As far as car books go, it's pretty much my grail purchase. Copies seem to be quite hard to find, and cost dearly when they do.

Charlie Larkin

I just recieved an invitation to have dinner with the founder of Automodello, who was instrumental in mu procurement of the distressed L-29s. So now the pressure is on.  I have to demonstrate that I got something done with them. Ideally,  I want to show him a finished model. 

So, here it is with the guide coat sanded off and another round of putty on. If I say so myself,  it's starting to look like a Cord. Clearly there is more to do on the front passenger fender but tge others are getting pretty close. 

20190916_070401-1008x756-756x567.jpg

20190917_222938-1008x756.jpg

20190917_222949-1008x756.jpg

20190917_223000-756x1008.jpg

20190917_222913-1008x756.jpg

Today i did some sanding and began working on the fit of the convertible top. The top is a large and essential part of the overall look of a Cord L-29 so it really needs to be right.  

I am also facing a bit of a dilemma.  From day one my plan was to build a replica of a local car, done in silver over blue, with red wire wheels.  It's a visual knockout though I have always wondered about the silver color from an authenticity perspective.  In researching the L-29 details I came across Blondie, a very authentic L-29 in cream with dark tan hides. I almost have myself convinced that I like it better.  If I can post photos of the two cars I will and please tell me what you think. 

20190919_222027-1008x756.jpg

20190919_223440-1008x756.jpg

22 hours ago, Pico said:

Silver has a bit more "pop".

It does "pop" quite a bit more doesn't it? Before I finish it, I may try a set of red wires on one side and chrome on the other to compare the appearance. While that wouldn't be 100% authentic to the car I am replicating,  the chrome wheels might cut a good compromise between "Blondie" and the Saddler car.

3 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

It does "pop" quite a bit more doesn't it? Before I finish it, I may try a set of red wires on one side and chrome on the other to compare the appearance. While that wouldn't be 100% authentic to the car I am replicating,  the chrome wheels might cut a good compromise between "Blondie" and the Saddler car.

That car may not be authentic - always a problem with we classics builders from the days of black & white photography.

I'm kind of biased toward the silver and black one, mostly because of the red wheels.  

As far as authenticity goes, it's not unusual for a classic to go through several colour schemes over it's lifetime. 

If there is a trend with L-29s is that they are not subtle cars,  and E. L. Cord seemed to be a big fan of flambouyant paint schemes, like this screaming orange and cream L-29 at the Gasoline Alley museum here in Calgary.

CordL29.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So two steps forward and three steps back. I have been sidelined FCC or quite a while because of family matters but decided to get back on this one. I wasn't happy with the mating of the body and the hood/grill assembly so I've been working on that transition.  It will be better with the cowl molding in place.  Also the beltline molding wasn't lining up with the hood so that needed work also. It doesn't look like much but is heading in the right direction. 

20191116_210555.jpg

20191116_210550.jpg

On 9/16/2019 at 7:08 AM, Eric Macleod said:

I didn't do much yesterday; just looked to see if the sidemounts would fit. 

The original Olympian Cars is indeed very pricey but the Minnesota Region of the CCCA reprinted it maybe 20 years ago and it can be found much more reasonably priced.

Really? I'll have to keep an eye open. If you know who might have a copy for sale, don't hesitate to contact me.

Charlie Larkin

On 9/20/2019 at 10:16 AM, Eric Macleod said:

Here are the two color schemes I am considering. What do you think?

blondie.png

saddler's cord.png

That cream-white with the black accents is pretty. Tamiya Racing White is an almost perfect match for it, too.

Idea on the cream theme....maybe use cream with accents in something like Forest or Brunswick Green or Navy? Vermillion might be a nice choice, too. Not too oranage.

Charlie Larkin

2 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

Love seeing all these classics being built right now. 

It is sort of a fun renaissance.  I still have dreams that one of the model makers will drop one more classic on us but don't hold a lot of hope.  In the meantime the Cord has become my one and only model project.