Model Cars Magazine Forum

1930 Cord L-29

Eric Macleod

2 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Please keep going, this is great to watch coming together. Seeing the different techniques you use is great, and I'm not ashamed to admit I plan to steal them for my own stuff

To me the greatest compliment is having a technique stolen from me. So, yes, please do steal away and make it your own. I will be curious to know how you are applying what I have been doing. I will be posting more in the next day or two. We are expecting a significant snowstorm tomorrow, a situation that always lends itself to some good amounts of time in the workshop.

3 hours ago, Pico said:

Eric - I have also done the front suspension and wheels with holes to be hand strung. Figured you had those covered already.

I do have both front suspension and PE wheels for this. My curiosity stems from the notion that perhaps you had a plan for a 3D printed Cord kit in another body-style, (like a cabriolet). If that was the case I would be all in to purchase another project.

Again, I really appreciate the help with the dashboard. That will certainly make life easier.

I don't have much of an update today. I think I have finished the rough sanding of the body and fender assembly but have a few things to do with the interior before I can think about paint. Underneath,  I finished the rough assembly of the rear axle. Next I will complete the top and windshield interface.  I think I am going to wind up scratch building that part so it will fit properly. Thanks again to all who have commented or just looked in.

I did get some bench time in this weekend and made some good progress.  Floors are done and I have the chassis under the body and fender assembly and have both front and rear suspension in place. The front was brutal and still is somewhat of a mess but I have a plan for that. 

20200112_215711-1008x756.jpg

20200112_210518-1008x756.jpg

I now have the muffler and muffler support in place. The exhaust system is going to take a rather to-and-fro route from there to the back of the car but it should look the part. 

I figured out exactly what I did wrong when mocking up the rear valance panel.  Looking at it in relation to the rear bumper it's clearly out of alignment.  So...what to do? Remove it but risk years of progress if (when) all that old bodywork comes apart? Saw it out (perhaps the best option) or cheat things over? 

I am open to suggestions. Have a look.

20200125_094028.jpg

20200125_094012.jpg

20200125_094000.jpg

Its hard to tell but from the pic (could be the angle of the pic) but the two sides of the bumper mount are slightly different where they mount to the crossbar. Careful cutting of the one with the curved edge between it and the crossbar might be enough to bring the bumper into line

12 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Its hard to tell but from the pic (could be the angle of the pic) but the two sides of the bumper mount are slightly different where they mount to the crossbar. Careful cutting of the one with the curved edge between it and the crossbar might be enough to bring the bumper into line

You are absolutely right and that likely is the best solution to my own screw up

Thanks so much.

14 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

My recommendation would be to pick the least intrusive way to fix the problem. You are so close to finishing. 

Sounds like that is the consensus.  I have to keep your observation of being almost done in mind...do I want a perfect model or do I want a completed model? Your approach,  wisely, will achieve the latter goal. Thanks! Here you see the revised exhaust system and the repair of the bumper bracket. Once it's buttoned up I'm going to call the undercarriage done.

20200125_235156.jpg

So here I was getting ready to post the triumphant news, that the undercarriage was done. Oh, what a feeling! Then I flipped the car over. Yup, sure thing. I ran the exhaust system down the wrong side of the car.  Not sure if I am ready to tear it off and give it another go, even though I  know that's the right answer.  Ugh... Anyway, here it is tonight. 

20200126_222955.jpg

20200126_222933.jpg