Model Cars Magazine Forum

1930 Cord L-29

Eric Macleod

I decided tonight to move to something else.  I disassembled one of the Automodello Cord wheels and applied red paint to the spokes, hub and rim. I also painted the brake drum dark blue. Man what a difference.  While the wheels are quite nice in chrome the red against the blue makes them absolutely pop. What do you think?

20200128_214513.jpg

20200128_214506.jpg

20200128_214320.jpg

11 hours ago, David G. said:

The wheels look sharp!

I always consider "wheels on the ground" the unofficial half way point of the build.

David G.

If this is the halfway point,  and it has been on the bench for 37 years, I won't live long enough to finish it.  Nope...done by the end of March. 

23 hours ago, landman said:

Those wheels are absolutely gorgeous.

Thanks Pat. It's coming...

Today I added the rod for the hood hinge and the cowl band. The latter looked too heavy to me but I had nothing smaller.  Fortunately Plastruct has a small half round styrene available in .30 which should look the part. That slows the body progress thus I am moving to other parts next.. like how do I get the wheels to stay on?

20200209_220949.jpg

Edited by Eric Macleod
Forgot photos

So today was a major milestone.  I have started adding color to the car.  Honestly, I wondered if I would ever get there. As you can see, this is a decidedly unorthodox way to assemble the model but was necessary because of the way the body and chassis needed to be assembled. More to come soon.

20200211_215741.jpg

Other than engineering a way to connect the front wheels and installing the rear axle,  the chassis is pretty much done.  I figure while this is a long way from factory correct,  it has some visual interest.  Besides,  when you figure I started out thinking about nothing but a flar plate, something is better than nothing. Here is what I came up with. 

20200213_224127.jpg

14 hours ago, David G. said:

I have to say that I'm impressed with your dedication to this project as well as the results of your effort.

Keep up the good work Eric.

David G.

It has indeed fought me every step of the way but seems a little more cooperative of late. 

I suspect every model project has a few "I'll get to it later" items. I have hit a point where one of them is now unavoidable.  The top of the cowl has had a jagged, line I created with some inept dremel work.  Today I took the first step toward repairing the damage. 

I started looking for something with a straight edge to make the line work.  What to use that could be removed? Yup...old X-acto blade. Hope it works. 

20200216_223155.jpg

20200216_223150.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am back on this one with a goal of making a final push to complete it. I have tried cutting the cowl vents without success four times now but haven't given up...yet. I did push ahead with some work on the interior,  which is really a pretty  simple pattern with minimal fluctuations in the material.  Hopefully more tomorrow. 

20200320_223130_copy_1008x756.jpg

20200320_223120_copy_1008x756.jpg