Model Cars Magazine Forum

1930 Cord L-29

Eric Macleod

5 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

That cream-white with the black accents is pretty. Tamiya Racing White is an almost perfect match for it, too.

Idea on the cream theme....maybe use cream with accents in something like Forest or Brunswick Green or Navy? Vermillion might be a nice choice, too. Not too oranage.

Charlie Larkin

Charlie, I like how you think.  I never knowingly deviate from the color combination of an actual car. I mean no offense to anyone else  but I always build models of actual cars and never what I think of as "a model of a model." That's just me. That said, Blondie, the cream car actually has a very dark blue on the chassis and striping.  I find myself leaning increasingly toward that one, in part because I really don't want to paint the wheels. So, we'll see. 

Edited by Eric Macleod
Wrong color, punctuation

On 11/17/2019 at 10:42 PM, Eric Macleod said:

Charlie, I like how you think.  I never knowingly deviate from the color combination of an actual car. I mean no offense to anyone else  but I always build models of actual cars and never what I think of as "a model of a model." That's just me. That said, Blondie, the cream car actually has a very dark blue on the chassis and striping.  I find myself leaning increasingly toward that one, in part because I really don't want to paint the wheels. So, we'll see. 

If that's dark blue, check out Tamiya TS-55 Dark Blue. It's a non-metallic dark midnight blue, almost black. If that car is actually blue, this will make an excellent match for it.

Charlie Larkin

On 9/17/2019 at 10:37 PM, Eric Macleod said:

On 9/14/2019 at 11:30 PM, Eric Macleod said:

Tonight I made good progress on the fit of the hood to the cowl and made the louvered sides of the hood.  This probably doesn't look like much but will pay big dividends in the appearance of the car when I am done.  Thanks to all of you who have taken a look.

20190914_232439-756x1008.jpg

Are they cast?

Edited by landman

On 11/18/2019 at 3:42 AM, Eric Macleod said:

I totally understand your policy of building an actual car, Eric....... and I do try to follow the same principle. I am looking forward to seeing your progress with this 1930 Cord L-29, and also your paint colour choice!

David

While there are some more details I have reached a significant milestone.  The body is finally just about the right shape and the top is right behind it. Here you see the body tub in nearly finished form with the first coat of primer applied. Thanks to all who have come along with me for the ride.

20191126_225201.jpg

20191126_225133.jpg

While there are some more details I have reached a significant milestone.  The body is finally just about the right shape and the top is right behind it. Here you see the body tub in nearly finished form with the first coat of primer applied. I have done more work on the beltline molding as well. A couple mor sandings and a couple more peices of trim, then...dare I say it? Color! Thanks to all who have come along with me for the ride.

20191127_233108.jpg

20191127_233117.jpg

1 minute ago, Eric Macleod said:

While there are some more details I have reached a significant milestone.  The body is finally just about the right shape and the top is right behind it. Here you see the body tub in nearly finished form with the first coat of primer applied. I have done more work on the beltline molding as well. A couple mor sandings and a couple more peices of trim, then...dare I say it? Color! Thanks to all who have come along with me for the ride.

20191127_233108.jpg

20191127_233117.jpg

And here are a couple other photos. Since these were taken the small but noticeable gaps have been sealed up.

20191126_225201.jpg

20191126_225133.jpg

Edited by Eric Macleod

• 3 weeks later...

I continue to chip away at the imperfections in the body/fender assembly.  Along the way I ran into a snag; the plate for the Automodello undercarriage won't work without some significant changes. Hmm...i used to have a complete frame when I was working on this about 10 years ago. I just wonder...sure enough, two minor cuts and it slid right in. So, both complexity and details will increase but I'll have a better model in the end. In the first photo,  I broke the Automodello front axle but it seems I can make it fit. The rear axle assembly comes from a Monogram Cord. Apropro I think. In the second,  I'll have to shorten the front of the frame but otherwise it fits also. As always,  your comments are welcome. 

20191218_224017.jpg

20191218_223552.jpg

2 hours ago, landman said:

coming along nicely. Keep at it. I had asked earlier, did you cast the hood vent louversor did you cut them out of something?

Sorry, I missed this. I cut the hood louvers from the hood sides of a Monogram Ford Model A, reshaped them, then glued them on. I am almost done with the hard parts so I am hoping the pace of this model will increase. Thanks for the response!

I continue to make slow but steady progress.  I am now fitting an interior. The dashboard will have to be a 100% scratch built item as nothing exists for a Cord dash. Nice going on my part, I lost my photos of Saddler's Cord but found a C+ photo of another car that I took in Auburn,  IN one year. 

20191226_222511-756x1008.jpg

20191226_222027-1008x756.jpg

On 1/7/2020 at 7:27 AM, Pico said:

I will do that.

I have to ask. Is there more Cord where this came from? 

To be candid, i have been extremely frustrated with this car of late. At one point I was about ready to trash the whole thing. The words of encouragement and yhos beautiful part will certainly keep me going a little longer. 

Thanks to all of you for the encouragement.  Here is the progress on the body. Panel lines have been scribed and I am working on the fit of the top. There is a quite obvious asymmetry that must be repaired there. Finally,  I'm working on the fit of the rear axle. 

20200108_223405-1008x756.jpg

20200108_223447-1008x756.jpg

20200108_223513-1008x756.jpg

11 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

It is a 90 year old car, bound to be some sag to the top bows. 

True, but the asymmetry is from the rearmost bow to where the top meets at the windshield. I measured the problem which looks huge only to find I was off only my 1mm. The problem sure looked bigger than that but the small difference should be fairly easy to repair.

4 hours ago, David G. said:

Slow progress is still progress!

It's good to know that you're still working on this one, thanks for taking the time to share it with us,

David G.

I really appreciate the support. I have been trying to keep this in mind. If I were to have worked on one part only, for 5 minutes per day, since the 1980's, this one would have been done 20 years ago!