Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 chevelle

tbill

While waiting for paint to dry on parts for the elcatona project, I cracked the seal on this and got the body in color. At NNL east I bought a can of tamiya pearl green with no plan for it, but once I opened this kit, I knew it was the perfect color for this build ( plus I probably saw a build of this kit in this color somewhere, and it stuck subliminally , lol). So anyway, we are off and running with this one.

3C4ECC64-73E9-498C-89A8-D91E1F42806D.jpeg

54397FE1-7425-46DA-B63B-296FF932BB32.jpeg

That's my favorite of all the Chevelle body styles. Keep us posted on your build. Love that color. I built one in a similar color many years ago. I wish I'd kept this one but sold it with my entire collection when I moved a couple of years ago.

small 69 CHEVELLE.jpg

Edited by Shambles

Thanks all.

Shambles, terrific looking build! Hope this comes out as good.

got the black painted along the lower rockers. I’m still debating interior color, kind of want to go with something in the green family, but have yet to find a color that looks right to me .

491EE1D2-01A1-45E6-A37E-558BA087B4B3.jpeg

FA6E02E0-AC65-44F1-A04F-679A46970EDF.jpeg

6B2DEFCB-4380-48CA-91DA-5C5D7C7A8B3E.jpeg

E62198ED-A5DD-4FE0-A527-02E71EF0A852.jpeg

4429A535-A99F-4AE5-913E-D628184FFCB7.jpeg

6E7257D7-C2DC-4324-947A-64C7AC1125D6.jpeg

GM offered some tone on tone color shades for their interiors at that time. Maybe use the body color and a slightly darker or lighter shade of green. While black interiors were pretty common then as now it just doesn't look as interesting. 

Thanks guys?

after surfing the web, it would seem this color green could only be had with a black or black/parchment interior, unless it had cloth, then green-gray was an option. So, I think I’m going to do black/parchment interior on this.

On 9/19/2019 at 11:43 AM, tbill said:

Thanks guys?

after surfing the web, it would seem this color green could only be had with a black or black/parchment interior, unless it had cloth, then green-gray was an option. So, I think I’m going to do black/parchment interior on this.

I think that would look great.  I used to have a 1:1 Lincoln convertible in just about the exact same color green, in and out.  It definitely needed more contrast so I think you are making a good choice. 

1 hour ago, GeeBee said:

Very nice build, looking forward to your progress, I'm building one at the moment in Chevrolet Grecian green metallic, very similar colour to yours. 

Lol, I just commented in your build thread, I had perused your topic before, so I am guessing that’s where my green idea came from.......

On 9/17/2019 at 3:59 PM, espo said:

GM offered some tone on tone color shades for their interiors at that time. Maybe use the body color and a slightly darker or lighter shade of green. While black interiors were pretty common then as now it just doesn't look as interesting. 

Spray the interior the same color as the car, then do the bolsters Tamiya Smoke flowed into to cracks and creases then Tamiya Flat Clear over that..It will give a textured look with just a subtle different shade to your color..

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Plan was to have it finished for a show October 20th, but not sure it’ll make that deadline. I do have a lot done, parts painted, and starting to detail some sub assemblies. I plan to work a few hours a night this coming week on it, so with some luck, by next Saturday night, it’ll be finished. Started on the dash tonight, and did the hood insulation.

6020CD5A-5CBC-4DA9-A076-75B97D2231F7.jpeg

E5BDCB19-7BA0-405C-93A3-44CD2086F336.jpeg

7A05CABB-8A86-4F31-8A7E-5B8B07B17017.jpeg