Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pontiac Catalina 4d sedan 1962

Reuhkapelti2

This time I will try to get things done the easy way, as I won't rise the roof of the 2d ht, just making the window openings a bit higher and enlargening the rear window. Let's see how it goes...

The driver side windows are still untouched. 

IMG_20190915_184755.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti2

I'll be watching this one with interest. It reminds me of a 4-door Bonneville I almost bought a few years back. I have regretted it ever since, as it was a very solid body with the original engine and drive train intact, and the factory interior was nearly perfect. It was an icy-blue metallic with a tri-tone blue interior.

Hi bisc63, that Bonneville would had surely been such a cool ride, sorry you didn't get it. 

My project got it's first paint to show all the dings and scratches on the body. My  white tamiya primer can was empty, so I had to use some market matt white spray, not a very good stuff, but it dries fast. 

IMG_20190919_145142.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! Yesterday I got the interior painted. Nothing fancy there, mixed three different paint colours the get that light brown tone done... dark brown, white and some golden paint too. Light gray carpet on the floor. 

I took the floor shifter off and added a column shifter instead. This Taxi has a automatic gearbox. The 389cid 2bbl engine will have blue paint, but the rest of the chassis will be dark gray, as there's a stiff antirust threatment underneath the body. 

IMG_20191014_150710.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti2

2 hours ago, Cpt Tuttle said:

I guess that with a 389 you had been king of the Taxis in Finland back then, lol. :P

Yeah for sure! I doupt, that there was no Pontiac taxicars in Finland back in those days. Some US cars, like Ramblers and Dodge Darts maybe, Plymouth Valiant too, but nothing this kind of vehicle. Mostly Peugeot, Volga, Mercedes etc. 

On 10/14/2019 at 4:35 PM, espo said:

Great looking four door. The proportions in the areas that you changed look perfect. You might consider casting this body, it's that nice. 

I can not do that kind of magic. One earlier 4 door project of mine raised the same idea to discussion and I watched some youtube videos of casting. Over my skills for sure. Thanks for asking though ?

Almost done. I've been fighting with the rear window and it's still missing. I got the taxometer installed on the dash, the mudflaps are there too. Two speakers at the back shelf. The extra beam lights are also done with the lense covers. Maybe some "Hella" text could be written on them? 

On those years the first letter on the license plate told, in which region of Finland a car is registered. The letter L puts this taxi to Lapland, the north part of my country. A and B to the capitol city Helsinki etc. Nowadays there is no meaning with those plates. The L-cars were considered to be less rusty, as no salt was used in Lapland to prevent the roads being slippery in the winter time. Oh those good old times. 

IMG_20191020_144343.jpg

IMG_20191020_144431.jpg

IMG_20191020_144510.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti2

Thanks Tom, that's a fine photo. 

I just found a photo of a finnish classic car magazine, that introduces 6 old taxis. It says Mercury Comet was one popular American vehicle used in taxi business in the '60ties in Finland. This is the cover of that issue 

Screenshot_20191020_183223.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti2