Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1/24th scale 1930 Model A Coupe

Why didn't Monogram ever do anything with their 1930 Model A coupe, other than a Cabriolet and a very early "Old School" hop up roadster? 

It seems as popular as the Model A coupe has been in the hot rod community this would have been an easy decision. 

With the speed parts available in their last 1930 Woody issue they had a pretty good start.

download.jpg

download (1).jpg

download (3).jpg

Parts from Monograms coupe/cabriolet, the touring and the woody all interchange and can be mixed and matched easily. Quite a few bits and pieces from the 29 roadster pickup/blue beetle/blue bandito are a direct fit as well onto Monograms basic 30 ford series. The last issue of the touring has a set of guide headlights newly tooled and added to the mix and the latest issue of the Woody has a deuce shell tooled to fit with the full hood installed. 

Probably one reason it's not a bigger seller is the nominal 1/24 scale. However, as stated above, there's plenty of stuff available to build a great model from it in any style imaginable, and, as many kit parts aren't absolutely scale-correct anyway, if one's wanting all the dimensions of things like wheels, tires, engines, etc. to look absolutely "right", one needs only to do a little measuring and grade-school arithmetic.

image.png.714cf4cf0e4d9c66f3570a39a9408ae5.png

image.png.4b1b2750bb1dbdfadfaca5c6114f96fe.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toner283 said:

Parts from Monograms coupe/cabriolet, the touring and the woody all interchange and can be mixed and matched easily. Quite a few bits and pieces from the 29 roadster pickup/blue beetle/blue bandito are a direct fit as well onto Monograms basic 30 ford series. The last issue of the touring has a set of guide headlights newly tooled and added to the mix and the latest issue of the Woody has a deuce shell tooled to fit with the full hood installed. 

Yes. Monogram reissued the woody, the pickup and the phaeton later on. I have no idea why they didn't include the coupe and coupe convertible in that series.

They did change things. Only the early issues have the dual side mount fenders.  And beware of swapping chassis parts.  They modified the suspension, narrowed it, in the 1980s for the wider tires they included in those kits.  Just be careful as you mix and match.  I got bit! 

image.png.cad838f3921a27b7efe92bfcb8b8651c.png

The coupe and phaeton are original issues, and the pickups, one of which is the woody kit, were later issues. I got bit building the phaeton chassis using a later front end! I still have a few more to add to this lineup.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Boy, there are some good looking Model A coupes turning up on this thread.  Phil, Chris, Dennis, I really enjoyed your examples. And the engine in Chris' version is especially drooI-worthy. I haven't tried a bare metal finish yet but there is plenty of inspiration right here to do so. I have a thirty something year old build tucked out in the back of a cabinet.  Might have to grab a photo and join the party!

Cheers

Alan

Comes to that, even I have one:

2v2U3n7AnxE7KCV.jpg

2v2U3n7WdxE7KCV.jpg

And I would have understood the question perfectly...

up till a few years ago.  Don't we have Revell's new one in 1/25?

Well. Maybe we don't technically have-it-have-it just now, but we should again just as soon as Revell can get off the thumb with the re-release, right?

19 hours ago, Spex84 said:

I've got the warm fuzzies over here. Thanks guys :)

Chuck, that's a mighty clean model right there! The 2-tone is excellent.

Why thanks, Chris!  Ain't a patch on your little masterpiece, but for o o b, I like to think it came out okay. ?

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
error in attribution