Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question to the Aficionados about the “Bandit” rig..

On the torsion bar suspension needed for the Smokey and the Bandit KW, is it possible to use two sets of the suspension from a Super Boss truck and build the two into a set of tandems for the Bandit rig?? To me it won’t be “exact” but would it look close enough to pull it off and look right? 

What are your thoughts?? 

Everything is possible.
But the links from the axle up to the torsion bars are on the outside of the frame on a single drive like the Super Boss and Bandag Bandit and that would be right for the first axle.
On a dual drive tandem the links are on the outside of the frame on the first axle and on the inside of the frame mounted near the center on the second axle so the front and rear axles turn the torsion bar the opposite way.

Here is a picture of the dual drive setup.

Slide12.jpg.499f44ab71624a497a273773733e20dc.jpg

Edited by Force

9 hours ago, Force said:

Everything is possible.
But the links from the axle up to the torsion bars are on the outside of the frame on a single drive like the Super Boss and Bandag Bandit and that would be right for the first axle.
On a dual drive tandem the links are on the outside of the frame on the first axle and on the inside of the frame mounted near the center on the second axle so the front and rear axles turn the torsion bar the opposite way.

Here is a picture of the dual drive setup.

Slide12.jpg.499f44ab71624a497a273773733e20dc.jpg

I saw that, and what I'm thinking I could do is move the Super Boss suspension forward for the front drive axle and modify the mounts on another to closely look like the rear on a torsion set up.. I have the same pic as you posted here Håkan and have been looking it over. I'd have to change out the axles too I know...

Yes that would most likely work for the forward axle, if you cut the second torsion bars and turn them around so you get the links on the inside for the rear axle it would probably look okay.
If you have the AMT W925 or a K123 you can use the axles from them as they are clean without any mounting points, because you need a power divider for the forward axle and drive shaft between the axles.
You can use the AMT W925 to do the movie truck, at least one of them was a 1973 so some slight modifications needs to be done to the cab such as door handles and vent windows, or you can use a Revell Germany W900 with a short hood and short sleeper, or modify the Revell snap W900 Aerodyne to a day cab with a short sleeper from the AMT kit.
I think the engine in the movie truck was a Cat 1693.

22 hours ago, Force said:

Yes that would most likely work for the forward axle, if you cut the second torsion bars and turn them around so you get the links on the inside for the rear axle it would probably look okay.
If you have the AMT W925 or a K123 you can use the axles from them as they are clean without any mounting points, because you need a power divider for the forward axle and drive shaft between the axles.
You can use the AMT W925 to do the movie truck, at least one of them was a 1973 so some slight modifications needs to be done to the cab such as door handles and vent windows, or you can use a Revell Germany W900 with a short hood and short sleeper, or modify the Revell snap W900 Aerodyne to a day cab with a short sleeper from the AMT kit.

I'm thinking I could make it look presentable anyway, now to get the parts needed to build it. I have some but need more.. LOL

14 hours ago, Warren D said:

Auslowe makes a torsion bar suspension. 

I knew they did but unfortunately I'm a modeler with an almost non existent budget so I'm not able to purchase stuff like that and if I want or need it am forced to make it with what's available to me.. At times I'm close to packing it all up and walk away from it as it's frustrating seeing new kits and parts and knowing I can't afford them!! Thanks for the tid bit on Auslowe though!!!

10 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

I've been thinking about doing the very same thing so this thread has been very helpful to me. I bought several kits for the engines and was wondering if it was possible to replicate the tandem torsion bar setup. Thanks for the info.

Good luck if you try it, if you do post pics.. I'll do the same once I get the needed parts for mine!!

I usually gather all parts needed before I start a project and I have plans to do the "Bandit" truck together with some more movie, TV and other famous trucks and I have done a lot of research to be able to get them as correct as possible.
I don't min sharing the results of my research with my fellow modelers so if I can help out I try to.
I just have to find some inspiration to start something...I have had a severe case of builders block lately and I don't think I have finised a model in 5 years...hopefully that will change soon.

Edited by Force

6 hours ago, Force said:

I usually gather all parts needed before I start a project and I have plans to do the "Bandit" truck together with some more movie, TV and other famous trucks and I have done a lot of research to be able to get them as correct as possible.
I don't min sharing the results of my research with my fellow modelers so if I can help out I try to.
I just have to find some inspiration to start something...I have had a severe case of builders block lately and I don't think I have finised a model in 5 years...hopefully that will change soon.

Same here! That way I don’t get shot down if I get halfway through and then can’t find a certain part for it. Right now I’ve been in the research phase for the Bear and Bandit rigs to get as much info as I can! I’d love to hear what you know on the Bandit rig!! I have the Revell W9 cab for it already and need to get the AMT 925 to get the rest of the bulk of parts! Then build the torsion tandem set up for it! 

20190921_211034.thumb.jpg.652478c02eba07959a16c1adaff1f032.jpg

Here is the main panel of the instructions for the rear suspension of the Super Boss. The kit had the cranks on the outside of the frame toward the rear so you'll have to swap them to the inside and sand off the mounting tab. The axle is also round so finding a match for it with a power divider will be tough. Overall it looks pretty simple to do the conversion, you'll just need a spare set of matching axles or at least a leftover power divider and a driveshaft for the rear axle.

7 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

20190921_211034.thumb.jpg.652478c02eba07959a16c1adaff1f032.jpg

Here is the main panel of the instructions for the rear suspension of the Super Boss. The kit had the cranks on the outside of the frame toward the rear so you'll have to swap them to the inside and sand off the mounting tab. The axle is also round so finding a match for it with a power divider will be tough. Overall it looks pretty simple to do the conversion, you'll just need a spare set of matching axles or at least a leftover power divider and a driveshaft for the rear axle.

Good info to use, I saved the pic for reference! I have a built Boss but don’t really want to pull it apart for parts. Mine is a salt flat rig I built over 20 years ago..

info below is what Hakan put up about the axles. They come out of KW kits and may not be to difficult to find! 

On 9/17/2019 at 10:58 AM, Force said:

Yes the rear axle has the links inside of the frame and the mounting points on the axle near the differential housing, and the forward axle has the links as the picture above...the links are outside of the frame and the mounting points near the wheels.
So it can't be that hard to make it work, and dual drive axles with power divider and drive shaft must be easy to find...you need a donor for the chassis and drive train and they can be used from that kit except for the suspension.
The 1693 Cat engine on the other hand is a bit more difficult as no kit has the right one and the closest you can get from a kit is the 3406 in the Revell Snap trucks wich is too new, but KFS has a 1693TA in resin and white metal...a bit expensive but if you want to do the model right you need one.
Further information is that the movie truck has the KW Splendor interior in beige and black tuck 'n roll and low back seats, looks to be air ride for both, the sleeper steps are not square as in the AMT W925, they are the later ones wich is rounded at the bottom, the battery boxes, (there are one on each side) have diamond plate covers rounded at the top and no step in them as the 1974-forward has, and the drive wheels has a quite agressive tread pattern and the wheels looks like they would be 10.00-22 lock ring Alcoa wheels.
Ohh I forgot one thing, the grille KW bug is gold with black KW and stripes.

Edited by Force

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:40 PM, Force said:

Yes the rear axle has the links inside of the frame and the mounting points on the axle near the differential housing, and the forward axle has the links as the picture above...the links are outside of the frame and the mounting points near the wheels.
So it can't be that hard to make it work, and dual drive axles with power divider and drive shaft must be easy to find...you need a donor for the chassis and drive train and they can be used from that kit except for the suspension.
The 1693 Cat engine on the other hand is a bit more difficult as no kit has the right one and the closest you can get from a kit is the 3406 in the Revell Snap trucks wich is too new, but KFS has a 1693TA in resin and white metal...a bit expensive but if you want to do the model right you need one.
Further information is that the movie truck has the KW Splendor interior in beige and black tuck 'n roll and low back seats, looks to be air ride for both, the sleeper steps are not square as in the AMT W925, they are the later ones wich is rounded at the bottom, the battery boxes, (there are one on each side) have diamond plate covers rounded at the top and no step in them as the 1974-forward has, and the drive wheels has a quite agressive tread pattern and the wheels looks like they would be 10.00-22 lock ring Alcoa wheels.
Ohh I forgot one thing, the grille KW bug is gold with black KW and stripes.

Great info there, a lot of that I didn't know at all!!!! Thank you!!

No, the single axle Torsion Bar suspension is different from the dual axle. On the dual axle, the mounts on one axle face inward. The mounts on the other axle face outward. Auslowe has a copy of the AMT Torsion Bar suspension.

I explained that in my replies above Ben. ;)
The man is on a tight budget and can't get all aftermarket parts he would like to.

So if you cut the single drive suspension sets up, move the set with the outside mounts forward and turn the bars in the other set around so the mounts for the rear axle are on the inside and the mounts for the front axle are on the outside it could work...maybe not exactly right but it can be convincing enough.

Edited by Force

On 9/26/2019 at 10:58 PM, Force said:

I explained that in my replies above Ben. ;)
The man is on a tight budget and can't get all aftermarket parts he would like to.

So if you cut the single drive suspension sets up, move the set with the outside mounts forward and turn the bars in the other set around so the mounts for the rear axle are on the inside and the mounts for the front axle are on the outside it could work...maybe not exactly right but it can be convincing enough.

Correct! Lol 

On 9/28/2019 at 12:27 PM, TECHMAN said:

???

Kerry,

I bought two of those "Super-Boss" kits to get the V-12 Detroits out of...…  If you need ANY of the suspension parts, let me know & they are your's……  I will never use them.....

DJ

Pm sent DJ!!