Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question about Dodge Challenger wheels

I've decided to build a model of the family car, a 2013 Dodge Challenger. I'm starting with the Revell 2013 Challenger kit. My problem is the wheel/tire combo. The kit wheels aren't even remotely close. I started searching around, and the set in the Revell Dodge Magnum SRT8 kit looked pretty close....not perfect, but close, so I got one. Wrong. They're too big. Our car has 18" wheels, the Magnum wheels scale out to 21" and just look way too big. They would have the model sitting like a 4WD. 

So, does anyone know a kit that has the correct size wheels like this? Or something from the aftermarket that would be close?  First picture is the 1:1, other pictures are the Magnum wheel/tire. Thanks. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Just a thought...if you have a lathe, it looks to me like you could turn about 2 scale inches (2mm in 1/25) off the OD of the wheel, which would at least get you closer. The spokes look like they'd respond to a light facing cut to get everything looking right.

Then find some tires, probably something from Pegasus or Aoshima...but I don't have any idea where to start with that.

Another good source for the OEM wheels would be the Charger kits. I built a model of a '10 Charger RT AWD that we used to own. That car and the kit wheels appear correct of an 18" wheel. The spokes look just like your wheels except for one area on the spoke. Your OEM wheels look to have a notch on the side of the spoke that isn't on the real or model Charger.  

13 hours ago, roadhawg said:

I've decided to build a model of the family car, a 2013 Dodge Challenger. I'm starting with the Revell 2013 Challenger kit. My problem is the wheel/tire combo. The kit wheels aren't even remotely close. I started searching around, and the set in the Revell Dodge Magnum SRT8 kit looked pretty close....not perfect, but close, so I got one. Wrong. They're too big. Our car has 18" wheels, the Magnum wheels scale out to 21" and just look way too big. They would have the model sitting like a 4WD. 

So, does anyone know a kit that has the correct size wheels like this? Or something from the aftermarket that would be close?  First picture is the 1:1, other pictures are the Magnum wheel/tire. Thanks. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

8 hours ago, espo said:

That car and the kit wheels appear correct of an 18" wheel. The spokes look just like your wheels except for one area on the spoke. Your OEM wheels look to have a notch on the side of the spoke that isn't on the real or model Charger.  

I will check that out as well, thank you. I'm not concerned with that notch, I seriously doubt anyone would notice that anyway.