Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here's one I've had percolating on the bench for a little while; I'm finally close to getting some paint on it. The idea came from a friend's 1/1 vehicle, but I'm doing it my own way.

image.png.0dff2e3e10ca709cae78f3764985c1dc.png

I started with the AMT '62 T-Bird; the roof is taken from the Monogram '58 T-Bird (narrowed, shortened, and sectioned) and grafted on to the '62 windshield frame. Lots of scratchbuilding to resolve the bed and roof fit issues; the rest of the body is essentially stock.

image.png.30d039bbbe9dc7ee76e633de00143129.png

image.png.cbf88049f4cc67dabeeaa9a84866853e.png

Thanks for looking - comments & questions welcome. Hope to have more to show soon.

39 minutes ago, Scale-Master said:

That's cool Steve!  Did you consider extending the wheelbase between the back of the door and in front of the rear wheel well?  It might add some balance.

But I get the concept of keeping it on the same platform as the T-Bird.

Not a bad idea, but I'm trying to get it finished sometime this century!

I like what you are doing with this.  Scale-Master mentioned the balance, to me the C-Pillar seems to be too wide.  It would require a bit of work but in my thought a 4-6 scale inch reduction in vertical width of the C-pillar would make it less top heavy.  That being said, it is your model, build it the way it suits you and I am sure it will come out fine.  Looking forward to updates.

I like it a lot. I didn't even notice the wheel base issue until I read the suggestion, and they a right about the proportions. TarheelRick suggested narrowing the C pillar. Doing that would not be that involved compared to the work you have already done. Looking at the top this may even solve the appearance of the wheel base. You could reduce the length of the deck between the open bed and the rear window. Just need to leave enough room in the cab area for a 1/25th driver not to hit the back of their head on the rear window. Maybe a look at how Ford did the Ranchero and Chevrolet did the El Camino to give you a good idea of the proportions. Please stick with this as it looks very much like something Ford could have done. The only thing I see as an issue might be the bed floor. Not a lot you can do about the differential kick up in the floor since it has to do with the thinness of the body and you do have to clear the differential. Maybe a stepped bed, lower behind the differential an then level going forward from there.  Very cool looking conversion.     

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Engine is built and ready to drop in. It's the Roush unit from the Foose FD-100, with a few changes. Headers came from the Monogram Shelby 350 (modified to fit), as did the air cleaner. Oil filter and mount was scratchbuilt  (the Roush motor has what looks like a remote filter connection).

image.thumb.jpeg.a8b0c6162aa373f55a595fbbf9f7f548.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.189d1245d12347492e5644da05d29928.jpeg