Model Cars Magazine Forum

Brockway 361 Wrecker

Inspiration for this build came from a Brockway T245 wrecker I saw at Macungie last year.  Thanks to Redneckrigger for the Holmes wrecker body (off a First Gear NAPA B-Mack) and Dave at AITM for the 361 cab, tanks and batt boxes.  The wrecker body was intended for a different build but being metal, It would have been to hard to modify.  I have a Pete Wrecker that I built in the 80's; I was never wild about the build, color didn't look right and the wrecker body seems bland.  The First Gear Holmes fits the frame like it was built for it, and the cab will take some tweaking to get it to sit right, but most of these conversion require some work.

Frame was originally painted with Testors rattle can flat black and was in good shape, so it just got a quick overcoat.  Cab is being cleaned up, then the fitting begins.

Original "glue bomb"

169782333.jpg

Cab getting a first fit

169782334.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Tesla said:

The paint job turned out great!!

Thanks, it actually looks better in person.  Aztek Blue Pearl acrylic over a white base coat with 2 coats of clear gloss over.  The pearl is tough, you can only shoot for a few minutes before the flake starts to settle out.  When you get the hang of it, it works very well.  I have some things in mind for future builds based on other pearls in their line.

• 2 weeks later...

Minor update, got the windshield glazing in.  Went better than I feared, only took 2 tries.  The AITM pattern shows 3 sections but I did mine in one.  Rolled the curve into the sides with various paintbrushes and other round objects.  Just a note, the pattern seems a tad small.  Start bigger as it's easier to remove material than add it!  Interior is next and will be slow going as I won't use superglue as the fumes fog clear "glass".  White glue works fine for most things but has a longish set time.

P1020830.jpg

This might be the final update before this one goes under glass.  I'm stalled out for the moment as my Molotow chrome pen ran dry and it'll be a few days until the replacement arrives.  I've got the mirrors left and a couple of small details and I'll call it done.

P1020872.jpg