Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 67 Charger

fivesuns

I purchased this model kit as an open box.  The windshield was cracked down the middle, the rear glass was also cracked. The passenger side A pillar was seriously bent, I was unable to straighten in completely.  I made the windshield and back glass to replace the cracked ones.  This is the first time using embossing powder for carpet, I think I got my glue too thin.  Painted with silver metallic acrylic craft paint in my 20 dollar airbrush.  Still struggling a bit with BMF but I am getting better.  Anyhow this is the finished product, I am satisfied based on what I had to start with.  Comments and tips for improvement welcome.

67 Charger 4 (2).jpg

67 Charger 3.jpg

67 Charger 9 (2).jpg

67 Charger 2.jpg

67 Charger 5 (2).jpg

67 Charger 6 (2).jpg

67 Charger 7 (2).jpg

It looks good to me !  The replaced glass fits good , the paint looks good , engine detailing looks good , and your BMF looks like you've been doing it for years , so don't be so hard on yourself !  One suggestion would be to fit "everything" to the body before paint .  You'd be surprised at the difference when bumpers and grilles line up nicely when you're finished . :)

Looks great!  The foil is pretty well done.  IF you want to make it a little easier, you might try dragging an exacto along the edge of where the foil will go.  Do this before the paint.  It will sharpen the edge where you eventually have to cut the foil.   Will make the chrome trim a bit sharper.   But I think you build is fine, especially considering the issues you had.  I have not been able to successfully make new window glass ever.  I have the wrong material or something.  Always amazed when people do replace it.

That was almost my color choice when I did mine.  I ended up bronze on bronze.

21 hours ago, ThreeThree said:

Well done. Gotta love a harbor freight brush, craft paint and Windex. Looks great, the Interior shot is awesome. My two cents for improvement would say the panel lines could be deeper & darker. 

Thanks.  Sometimes I use the Tamiya panel accent, but all I have is black and brown, I thought the black would be too obvious.  Maybe I should invest in some gray.  Thinking about upgrading to an Iwata.  I have been using the cheap brush for about a year now.

20 hours ago, TooOld said:

It looks good to me !  The replaced glass fits good , the paint looks good , engine detailing looks good , and your BMF looks like you've been doing it for years , so don't be so hard on yourself !  One suggestion would be to fit "everything" to the body before paint .  You'd be surprised at the difference when bumpers and grilles line up nicely when you're finished . :)

Good suggestion...I test fit on chassis and engine but not so much on body stuff (which is the most visible).  I shall start doing more of this.

30 minutes ago, randyc said:

Looks great!  The foil is pretty well done.  IF you want to make it a little easier, you might try dragging an exacto along the edge of where the foil will go.  Do this before the paint.  It will sharpen the edge where you eventually have to cut the foil.   Will make the chrome trim a bit sharper.   But I think you build is fine, especially considering the issues you had.  I have not been able to successfully make new window glass ever.  I have the wrong material or something.  Always amazed when people do replace it.

That was almost my color choice when I did mine.  I ended up bronze on bronze.

I'll have to give the exacto knife a try.  I always fear I will make a mis-lick and then have a scratch to worry about.

Thanks to all for the responses

h

2 minutes ago, fivesuns said:

Thanks.  Sometimes I use the Tamiya panel accent, but all I have is black and brown, I thought the black would be too obvious.  Maybe I should invest in some gray.  Thinking about upgrading to an Iwata.  I have been using the cheap brush for about a year now.

Good suggestion...I test fit on chassis and engine but not so much on body stuff (which is the most visible).  I shall start doing more of this.

I'll have to give the exacto knife a try.  I always fear I will make a mis-lick and then have a scratch to worry about.

Thanks to all for the responses

h

Go lightly with the Xacto.  I have a couple I use.  one will always have a sharp point.  Other usually browken tip with a more square tip.  that gives a sahrper corner when scribed.  Use back of blade instead of front.   Again, go LIGHTLY at first. Then you can continue as many times as you'd like.  Kind of a continuation of panel line scribing.   Practice on scrap bodies if you have any? 

That Charger is really tough on the little trim on the body crown.  You did good.