Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Cars Do You Like Every Year Of?

Mustang II's can be good, some are really good (like the Evolution II below)  They kind of get looked down upon as not being "real" Mustangs - kinda like the Porsche 914/924/944 not being "real" Porsches.  Its just too bad they came along at a low point in American car performance.

634294712_mustang2evolution.jpg.c980d31ac2b2c4ca5b167a62eb6ccec8.jpg

Edited by djflyer

3 hours ago, djflyer said:

Mustang II's can be good, some are really good (like the Evolution II below)  They kind of get looked down upon as not being "real" Mustangs - kinda like the Porsche 914/924/944 not being "real" Porsches.  Its just too bad they came along at a low point in American car performance.

634294712_mustang2evolution.jpg.c980d31ac2b2c4ca5b167a62eb6ccec8.jpg

That is one sweet II......?

I was glad my 78 had the 302. It wasn't super fast but it would get up and go good enough. I only paid $850 for it in 1993 and 6 years later I parted it out for around $1200.....LOL Still have the leather sport steering wheel in case I ever get another or a 79-82 Mustang as well can use that cool wheel. 

OK, I'll allow that the Mustang II is my least favorite of the series but they sold a boatload of them from '74-78 so it had to be the right car for its time.  The 1970's was a terrible time for cars (Vega anyone?).  But I have to say the Mustang is my consistent favorite having owned 3 (1967, 1979-came with the wife, and current 2013).  Ford kept the design philosophy  throughout and just updated the particulars.

24 minutes ago, The Junkman said:

OK, I'll allow that the Mustang II is my least favorite of the series but they sold a boatload of them from '74-78 so it had to be the right car for its time.  The 1970's was a terrible time for cars (Vega anyone?).  But I have to say the Mustang is my consistent favorite having owned 3 (1967, 1979-came with the wife, and current 2013).  Ford kept the design philosophy  throughout and just updated the particulars.

The Mustang II was the first retro car. It really evoked the original Mustang into modern times.  That's why it was so popular back then.  My wife had one when I met her.

I said Barracudas earlier but let me add Valiants!  That includes the Aussie and South American variations.

Funny thing is that these got no respect in collector car circles.  People saw the first generation Barracuda as nothing more than a Valiant. I remember taking mine, and later my '73 Scamp to car shows in the 1980s and getting lambasted by idiots that I had wasted my time restoring a Valiant and if I had put that same effort into a Mustang or Camaro I'd really have something.  My reply was always that I could have a red '66 Mustang and park it in the line of 10 of the same car, but I had the only '65 Barracuda at the show.

I stored the Barracuda for many years. When I put it back on the road in the late 1990s, I was amazed at how the attitudes had changed.  I got thumbs up everywhere!  

1 minute ago, Tom Geiger said:

I said Barracudas earlier but let me add Valiants!  That includes the Aussie and South American variations.

Funny thing is that these got no respect in collector car circles.  People saw the first generation Barracuda as nothing more than a Valiant. I remember taking mine, and later my '73 Scamp to car shows in the 1980s and getting lambasted by idiots that I had wasted my time restoring a Valiant and if I had put that same effort into a Mustang or Camaro I'd really have something.  My reply was always that I could have a red '66 Mustang and park it in the line of 10 of the same car, but I had the only '65 Barracuda at the show.

I stored the Barracuda for many years. When I put it back on the road in the late 1990s, I was amazed at how the attitudes had changed.  I got thumbs up everywhere!  

I would take any Barracuda over any Mustang any day of the week.

Mustangs are like A-holes.

Everybody got one!

Yeah, I know.

It's an old joke.

But I'm an old guy. :)

Steve

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Mustangs are like A-holes.

Everybody got one!

Yeah, I know.

It's an old joke.

But I'm an old guy. :)

And I currently own 3...........?

Our family car when I was little was a 67 Mustang and I was hooked from a young age. Plus being born in 64 like the Mustang it just cemented my love of the car. Crazy that Ford has now built over 10 million of them. 

Mine would be the Olds Cutlass.  I liked every model of that car from the 60's through the 90's.

The Cutlass Ciera is a stretch, but we owned one and that thing was a tank.  My wife drove our two kids all over creation in that car and it never missed a beat.

7 hours ago, webestang said:

And I currently own 3...........?

Our family car when I was little was a 67 Mustang and I was hooked from a young age. Plus being born in 64 like the Mustang it just cemented my love of the car. Crazy that Ford has now built over 10 million of them. 

Yup.

There's nothing wrong with the mustang.

It's definitely one of the most iconic cars in American history.

They have just become so common place that they have lost any measure of uniqueness in my opinion.

The Barracuda is merely a personal preference of mine in this instance.

Personally, If I were to take an inventory of my favorite cars, neither the Mustang nor the Barracuda would probably rank in the top 50 for me.

But what really concerns me is your 3 A-holes! :D

Steve

Ford: Falcon, pinto, bronco, courier, ranchero, crown Vic, Torino model t, model a, and f100

General Motors: Nova, c/k series trucks el Camino, Monty Carlo, trans am and 

mopar: Charger, challenger, demon, valiant, New Yorker, Newport, gtx, satellite roadrunner, Dayton, cuda, ramcharger and power wagon

Everything that AMC made. 

All International Harvester trucks 

And many more vehicles that I cannot remember. 

I guess I'll say International Harvester Scouts, 1 and 2. Gotta love the Scout 2's when only the grill and headlights changed throughout their entire run. Also, all REAL Jeeps- MB, CJ, Wrangler. Love em all. I'll throw in the Tucker also. Only one year, one model, one body style. Classic.

Jeff