Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Plymouth Savoy lightweight questions

A quick question or two for the knowledgeable Mopar people on the forum. 

I have a resin 64 Plymouth sedan body. I also have a grill with only one headlight per side. I also have the Lawman kit, and several Lindberg Dodge kits for parts. 

Was the car with the one headlight grill, a Hemi only car. Or could there be a max wedge car also built with that single light grill.?  Are these both cars lightweights? I’ve seen max wedge lightweights in some of my searches. 

Basically would the resin sedan body be better suited for the one headlight Hemi lightweight car, and just build the lawman as a max wedge lightweight?  

Any input on interiors would also be greatly appreciated. 

I hope my questions are not too confusing. 

1 hour ago, Brutalform said:

Thanks Bill, for the info. 

Were the interiors similar to The California Flash 65 Belvedere? 

1964 max wedge cars were avail with any interior color  ..even bench seats.

Late 1964 and all 1965 Hemi cars were all same/similar to the Flash 65 Plymouth.  

I think 1964 hemi cars were either fawn gold or red interior. (Bucket seats )

I'll need to verify color options. Will update when i find out for sure 

65s were all fawn gold bucket seats.

Max wedge cars ended mid model year 1964. Then Hemi production took over. 

23 hours ago, oldr-n-drt said:

tom..when an where did yall get 1964savoy body...flintstone does not have one??  oldr-n-drt

Just received a reply from Kenny. His 64 sedan is available. 

If the one I purchased is worst than the pics showed, I’ll probably be ordering one. 

3 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Let me know please if his is any good. Please. 

I have gone  as far as making my own . (That's still unfinished )

Biggest issue i have with the JF version is the trim across the back edge of the decklid is unrecognizable. 

What other problems, or mistakes on the mold did you encounter? 

Mine is scheduled to be delivered today. I’ll post up a few pics when it arrives. 

If I do buy a Bandit, I’ll post pics also.,

I most likely wouldn’t really recognize any proportion problems, like a wheel opening that was off slightly, but maybe the trim could be repaired by sanding, and adding a strip of styrene? 

Edited by Brutalform

I dunno Bill, this JF body looks pretty good to me. 

What was the problem with yours exactly? This one seems a bit of wavy under the trunk trim, but should be an easy fix. 

I’ll still most likely buy a Bandit one also, since I have a lot of extra parts for these cars. 

9195DFE5-B236-452A-835A-3E10B91CE9F8.jpeg

50D2AE18-2DFA-40BD-918A-E611862D7E2A.jpeg

BCF356FF-96C1-4761-9681-61E135505221.jpeg

360B8287-814B-4104-867B-5C6578E1BF73.jpeg

C131DC7C-2C72-47BC-BF20-0FEA9DAE7314.jpeg

6 hours ago, Brutalform said:

What other problems, or mistakes on the mold did you encounter? 

Mine is scheduled to be delivered today. I’ll post up a few pics when it arrives. 

If I do buy a Bandit, I’ll post pics also.,

I most likely wouldn’t really recognize any proportion problems, like a wheel opening that was off slightly, but maybe the trim could be repaired by sanding, and adding a strip of styrene? 

I don't remember anything else about it, and right now have NO idea where its at ( we moved across country last year and 90% of my model stuff is still packed away.)

Best I can remember the lettering on the  decklid trim across the back  was so faint  and/or full of pinholes . There was no way was it going to survive even a few coats of primer , paint and clear . I think I had decided my best option was just eliminate it altogether and move on . Then the make my own idea popped in my head .

I started a conversion of my own using the Dodge sedan roof on the Plymouth hardtop body. . I got as far as a basic trim and fit then shelved it for some reason . No idea where even its at right now

I'm in process of configuring the garage / making a  model work bench area . But its at least a couple months away from completion due to I have other projects I have to complete before any model bench time can resume .

I hear ya, Bill. Your move was a pretty good distance away too. Glad to hear you are getting settled in though. 

I’ve been out of work with major back problems for 3 years now. So I have a bit more time to build than you do. 

I think this body will work out just fine though. I cleaned it up a bit and it’s looking pretty good. All the trim, and wheel wells are real crisp. This one will get the single head lamp grill I bought from Missing Link.

I have a Lawman Kit, I’d like to build up as a lightweight max wedge. I’ll most likely buy another one for the hood, and pretty much everything except for the body. 

I might hold off on the Bandit sedan body for a bit. I appreciate the info you provided for me. 

Thanks. 

I was figuring it was a thing with the trim option. I was reading that the Savoy needs the rear trunk trim removed, and just uses the block lettering. 

I do have a single headlight grill from Missing Link I plan on using. This will be a Hemi car as well. 

This pic gave me the idea to build one. Not so much the black on red, but I like the way this animal sits. 

36D13613-34D9-4864-A150-AEDE34A38B69.jpeg

On 9/23/2019 at 11:26 AM, gtx6970 said:

Light weight was avail in both.

Single headlight grille is hemi only. (Unless customer / owner added )

Hemi is sedan only.

Max wedge was both hardtop and sedan body styles .

I'll edit my original statement. 

There were in fact .,,facyory built hemi powered 2 door hardtops

But they're were not light weights and had the stock 4 head light grille.

Yet had the same wide flat hood scoop the hemi sedans came equipped with.

Still digging for info on interior choices avail for these .

Hemi sedans were all light weights.(aluminum front sheetmetal )  2 head light grille.  With the bostrom style light weight bucket seat interior. No back seat. 

The Flintstone body is decent for the money, but I'd be inclined to try the conversion myself first.  As long as you don't cut up anything that you would need to use with the resin body, if the conversion works out then you are a few bucks ahead not having to buy the body.  I've thought about doing a Plymouth sedan, not sure how I'd cut the bodies though.

The Lindberg Dodge body does have rather wide C-pillars, which need some attention whether you build a Dodge or use the roof in a conversion.  The Dodge windshield is a bit on the flat side also.  I'd try to piece in the Plymouth cowl, not sure if there's enough extra material on its windshield glass to be usable with the taller sedan roof though.